Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of redoing my forks. I'm following Bluepoof's walkthru. I have them off the bike, and mostly apart.

However, the bolt at the bottom of the forks is proving to be problematic.

I took an impact wrench to it, as the walkthru says, and now it spins, but it won't come out... or tighten back up. It just keeps spinning, with no resistance.

I'm completely lost, and I've been without my SVS for over a week now :(
Any advice?

Edited for smaller pic.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The damper rod is probably spinning inside the fork along with the bolt. There is a tool from Suzuki to hold it down while you loosen the bolt I think. And I've heard of people cutting a broom handle to fit in there.

My ghetto method was to put the springs/spacers back into the fork, put the cap back on, flip the fork upside-down and compress it to put pressure on the damper rod while I loosened the bolt. I wouldn't try my method unless someone smarter than me jumps in and says it's not a terrible idea :shock:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try using a broom stick to help keep the damper tube from spinning. You?ll need a friend to hold pressure on the tube while you use the wrench. Mine required a lot of pressure to hold the tube from spinning.

Let me know if you this makes sense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds interesting.
Should I be using spacers? Sonic springs sent me a piece of PVC to make them with, I didn't think much about it tho.
I've got .95 springs, 20 weight oil, 280 pound self.

T

·
0 Posts
NOsquid said:
My ghetto method was to put the springs/spacers back into the fork, put the cap back on, flip the fork upside-down and compress it to put pressure on the damper rod while I loosened the bolt. I wouldn't try my method unless someone smarter than me jumps in and says it's not a terrible idea :shock:
it worked every time for me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You will need to make new spacers when you put it all back together yes, but you can just use the stock spacers/springs to get the damper rod bolt loose.

Are you changing your seals or installing emulators? You don't need to take the rods out for just new springs unless Sonic told you to modify them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes! it worked! for one of them...
The other one is being stubborn, and won't uh... what's the word... open up, decompress or whatever. So I can't fit the spacer and spring in and close it.
I have no idea why. I can smack it all day, and it won't open up...
Grrr.... :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and I'm changing the seals as one was really leaky and the other is gross and rusty.

These are the original seals, oil, springs on a 2001 with 23k miles, ridden by a fat guy :shock:

Any advice on unncompressing the fork?
We tried pulling.... really, really hard.... it just wont open.
I don't know why its stuck closed. Maybe something to do with being open for a few days, in the humid, hurricane weather?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it done. Stuck it in the freezer for a while, and it popped right out :lol:
Thanks for the help, yall.

/postwhore

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think this makes it a little easier

This required a little trial and error... and a lot of cursing

You need...
1. impact wrench - you already have this - various people
2. improvised "long" 8mm allen wrench socket for the impact wrench - Bluepoof
3. broomstick - just about everyone else has suggested this
4. strong fabric, in my case a 3-4 square piece of old blue jeans

What you need to know...
This applies to 2001 forks, since that is what I have...
Taper the end of the broom stick to 17 or 18mm. That is what the damper rod seems to be. The problem that I was having is that I could not get enough friction with just the broomstick. Using the blue jean patch allowed the broomstick to really grip and let the impact wrench do its job.

Another tip...
When you are reseating the seal, using the improvised pvc seal driver, try using a 2" metal conduit bushing, cut to fit, to protect the seal while you are driving it in. Everyone has probably already thought about that though.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Okay, I have another trick that will help.

There's a tool you can make from a pair of long, large bolts and a female-female threaded connector.

See this thread: http://www.gstwins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7084

GS500s have the same problem as SV's, it seems, when it comes to removing the damper rod.

Basically, you just drop that tool down the inside of the fork, snag the fitting in the end of the damper rod, and secure it with a socket wrench. Then you can unbolt the bottom no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts