Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Sv650s and I'm trying to change the grips. When I tried to unscrew the only screw holding the stock barends on my handle bars, the damn thing refuses to turn!!! Have any of you tried to unscrew it before? Is there some special way I have to do it? Or do I just need to turn harder? I gave it all my strength today and the damn thing just wouldn't budge :mad:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Turn harder. It's just a screw going through a piece of rubber into a nut. If you get it to losen, you can probably wiggle it out with a little WD-40.

·
Registered
130 Posts
They use red loctite for some unknown reason. I recommend heating the end with a blow torch as much as possible if you have one handy and using an impact gun. Some recommend the simple hammer type but I have had no luck with those.

Afterwords, clean off screw and use blue or green loctite instead.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
omfg....i took a hammer to it like you guys said and the damn thing still wont come off...I'm about to go at it with a hack saw!!! :mad: why would they need locktite on a barend??!?! not like it vibrates THAT much at the bars!!! what makes it worse, the phillips head screw is about to wear out from all my attempts at unscrewing it. Why couldn't they use a allen head screw instead?!?!?! Any other suggestions in how to remove this stubborn screw???

·
Registered
84 Posts
i tried removing them in that manner as well, but was unable to get them off.

so i just twisted the entire bar end, wiggled and pulled a bit and it came right off!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna try DavidinPHX's idea and just wiggle the whole bar end...and my screwdriver is the perfect size...but the amount of force i'm putting on the damn thing makes it slip either way...I'm putting my whole body weight on the screwdriver to keep it from coming out...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
you need an impact screw driver. you can buy them at sears for $20. basically its a screwdriver but when you hammer on the end, it twists the screw slightly. this tool is made for loosening ridiculous screws like the one you're dealing with. a few whacks and it will come off.

otherwise you're probably going to have to cut it off because as everyone has said, they use uber-locktite on it.

R

·
0 Posts
+1 on the impact driver. Its a good tool to have in the toolbox for future use, so don't fret about buying a $15-20 tool just for the barend problem.

An alternative that might work- if you have a phillips head hex bit that fits snug (the kind used in cordless screwdrivers and such), wedge that guy into the barend and use a crescent wrench or socket to turn that. You'll get much better leverage than an ordinary screwdriver handle can muster.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
And one more vote for impact drivers. I had the exact same problem - getting the stock grip off, in my case to install bar-end mirrors. Managed one, but with the other one was afraid I was starting to wreck the screw with my attempts. Took it to my favorite bike mechanic, who, after feeling obliged to tell me how much he hates bar ends, took a brief look, reached for his impact driver, and loosened it with one tap. He recommended I go buy one and I swear I will... the next time. BTW, I love my Napoleons (but still appreciate the mechanic's opinions - he's the one who steered me to an SV).

·
Registered
151 Posts
This'll sound dumb but I have an electric impact wrencg I use for car wheel changes.

If I am super careful, will it blast off the screws in my bar ends or will it just obliterate the philips cross?

Alternatively I also have a makita drill that has an impact feature for driving screws

·
Banned
855 Posts
I couldn't get my hammer style impact wrench to work so I just took a screwdriver and hammer and just whacked it until the shocks broke up the locktite.

·
Registered
771 Posts
One of mine came off easily enough, the other didn't.

I had luck getting it of by cutting a piece of rubber innertube and wrapping it around the stubborn bar-end, then gripping that bad boy with some big pliers, and twisting the whole bar end. The screw seemed to have been solidified (with red Lock-tite?) to the bar end itself, but unscrewed with ease when I got some torque on it.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Weird, I have the opposite problem. I took mine off for some temporary bar end mirrors while my stock replacement came in and now I cant get them back on. They just seem to be difficult all around lol. I think Im just going to have to buy some aftermarket ones to replace the stockers.

·
Registered
672 Posts
the screw that holds the barend in is a shoddy piece of left over steel from making braided steel cable. whack the top of the barend as to bend the screw. this should reveal enough of the screw to take a hacksaw and cut it off. spray some wd-40 in and the rubber grommet will come out. go find a suitable replacement screw for the assembly.

my time is worth far more than the $0.10 screw.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts