Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Triumph sprint ST or SV1000S?? (Now with pics on pg 2.)

I was looking at picking up a used SV1000S when I came across a smoking deal on an immaculate 06' Sprint ST. I have always liked these bikes but don't plan on doing a lot of touring. I can pick this bike up for right around the same price as a used 06 SV1K. What would you do?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Sprint. Just love that bike. Take the bags off, and you've got a rockin' 3-cylinder sportbilke. Get it, and you'll find a reason to tour.

SV1k? Meh.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
My son went from an SV to a Sprint ST. He got rid of it with only 3700 miles, I still have the SV and its got 27,000 miles on it. That should tell you something.

He said he never felt comfortable with the Sprint. It is a nice looking bike that is very smooth. I never had the nerve to ride his either, I just didn't want to fall over with it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
if it is a good deal you can try out the sprint and get rid of it if you don't like it. you've already had an SV try somthing new.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
My son went from an SV to a Sprint ST...
If I recall correctly, your son went from/back to an SV650, because he liked the lighter feel of the 650. The OP is tying to decide between the Sprint and an SV1K. Apples and oranges.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
If I recall correctly, your son went from/back to an SV650, because he liked the lighter feel of the 650. The OP is tying to decide between the Sprint and an SV1K. Apples and oranges.
Nope, he doesn't have a bike at all now. He went from an SV to the Sprint, then sprint to nothing. Just saying if you aren't going to tour on the Sprint, why would you want it. It's not a very easy bike to handle at low speeds.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The SV1K seems like a more versatile bike because I could make it a more comfortable tourer but it's also a relatively agile sport bike. I have not ridden either bike only sat on them and the Sprint is the most comfy bike I've ever sat on plus I love the looks. I figure for the price of the sprint I could easily sell it for more than I paid and get an SV if I didn't like it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thats a tough one. I love them both. Granted I havn't ridden either of them. But I still love 'em.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have sat on both, ridden an SV1k, and ridden a speed trip. I say if u want to try somethin different go with the sprint. It is super comfy, might incourage more touring, the 1050cc motor is amazing, all around different than the SV650. If u just want more power, but want to keep the same bike, SV1k. It feels like ur SV. Just more grunt everywhere. I didn't even find it dramaticly heavier. The sprint was a lot heavier just sitting on it. If ur undecided I still say go sprint just cause it's different. There are plenty of SV's out there u could get ur hands on again, but it sounds like the sprint deal isn't an everyday deal. Also broaden ur motorcycle experiance with different rides.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I decided to go with the sprint! I called the guy and got an even better deal the original asking price, I kinda feel like I'm stealing it but he agreed to the price so oh well. Only downside is that I have to drive 4 1/2 hours to pick it up :( but if the weather is nice I will have a great orientation ride on the way home :) This deal was just to good to pass up and If I don't like it I can easily resell it for more than I paid and pick up something else...Hopefully I can pick it up thursday. There will be pics!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Congrats Mike..bring it by next weekend and let me check it out. Ride safe....give it a good check over if you are still gonna ride it home.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Haven't ridden an SV1k, but own a Sprint ST. I absolutely love it and would highly recommend the bike to anyone. As others have said the 1050 motor is incredible - the torque just makes me sick, it's so awesome. It handles really well and is quite comfortable, although I haven't yet done any long tours on mine.

Buuuuut... maintenance costs on a Triumph will be higher than on a 'zuki. Zuki parts are common, easy to get and cheap; Triumph parts are harder to find (almost always have to have my dealership special order them for me or buy online), and can be quite expensive.

Just read the last posts: congrats on the new scoot. I think you'll enjoy her! Welcome to the Triumph clan. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! And Doug, I'm hoping to get it home on Thursday if the guy gets the title in time. If not i'm either going to bring it home in the back of the truck and have him send the title later or I will have to wait a week until he gets back from vacation. I hope I get it on thursday though! And I will be keeping the SV in the meantime...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
No title..no payment. LOL

Why does he not have it?? if he has to pay it off, at least get something down on paper, that you paid him off, in order to pay off the bike, and he has to give you the title.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's some pics of her that the seller emailed me:

The bags will quickly be coming off but will come in very handy for some trips I have planned this season. And Doug, yea, the guy said he's gonna pay it off tomorrow and try to get the title expedited but I will do some sort of bill of sale or purchase agreement and get it notarized to make sure I get what I pay for!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sounds good. Congrats again...and welcome to the multiple bike club..its a cool place to be. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts