Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m planning a solo trip for possibly the first weeks of August to go from Los Angeles to Denver and back. I know, it’s a ways off, but I haven’t had a road trip in ages and ages and thinking about it is making me excited. I have some people to visit in Denver for a day or two, and probably SLC as well. I’m wondering if a week and a half or 2 weeks would be better.

The goal is to hit the Rockies hopefully when the aspen trees are starting to turn color but when the cold hasn’t started to set in yet. I also want to avoid the majority of major freeways where possible or reasonable, as well as swing by areas I’ve never visited such as the Grand Canyon (only seen it from the air).

I’m undecided about camping vs. motels, maybe a bit of both. I don’t have much camping gear at the moment after giving most of it away and my sleeping bag became a plush habitat for mice. I’ve got a nice Thermarest, though, as well as bags for the bike. Time for a new camera, too.

I’d like some route suggestions and some sights to see!

Thanks for any commentary.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I can offer a tip. If you are going to be up in the mountains, it will still get cold at night. I went out in mid-August 2001 in my Jeep to run the Alpine Loop. Most nights were in the upper 30's, couple nights I had light frost on the vehicle. Granted, this was at 9-12K+ feet, so you might not be up there, but if you're planning on camping out, definitely keep that in mind.

I am seriously thinking about going out to Rocky Mountain National Park on my SV this summer as well. I haven't decided if the trip across Kansas is worth it or not! (lol)

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I grew up in CO so I'm not a newbie to the mountains, but it's always good to have a reminder, thanks.

I am mostly worried about being cold during the day, which means extra cold at night. I have no trouble on my bike riding in the low 40s, but it does get cold.

Kansas is only nice at night when there's no clouds--the Milky Way is gorgeous! Rocky Mountain National Park is great, though. Aw, I miss the Rockies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts