Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i followed instructions on an older post to break and remove the restrictor plate from the muffler, and i must have done something wrong b/c it seems stuck! i stuck a pipe around the baffle and knocked the crap out of it after i cut around it, but now the end is probably 4 inches deep into the muffler, but it feels like its still attached. im afraid to keep hammering it with the pipe b/c the pipe looks like it is already starting to hit the top side of the muffler from the inside.
what the hell did i do wrong? any advice? thanks a lot!

·
Registered
415 Posts
you guys doing this on a 2nd gen, or 1st gen?

2nd gen, people have said that you need to hit the thing realy hard, otherwise you will just push it back further and further.

1rd gens are way different, I tried a mod on my first gen that came out pretty good, havn/t posted the pictures yet though

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have an 03 and the same thing happened to me.

I think that instead of breaking the welds, it broke a piece of something else off inside.

Mine is still stuck in there but it's louder and the bike runs fine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had this exact same problem only I used a 6" pipe, so you can imagine the heart attack I had.

There's a chance you broke off a small piece of the internal baffle, but it won't affect anything. You have to really work to get that pipe get out. If it looks like it's stuck inside one of the three holes, you're almost there. Take a set of needle nose vice grips and clamp on to the restrictor pipe. I took another set of vice grips and clamped them onto the needle nose vice grips. I then twisted the dog poop out of the needle nose grips to work the pipe out. Also, a little lube on the pipe where it's stuck inside will help it slide out when you've cleared the can.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

BTW, it doesn't seem to harm the bike with the pipe still in it (I'm not an expert, but I didn't notice a diff.), but it will sound a little cleaner and a little deeper when you remove that restrictor.

Oh yeah, I'm on an '05 SVS.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
mine is 1st gen (not meaning to threadjack, figured we could solve both probs in the same thread).

I have been riding it around with the baffle stuck, sounds better, just figured i would try to get it out when I have time.
I'll try the dual vice-grips on it.

I thought about renting a slide hammer, but i dont know if theres a way i can attach it to the baffle, unless i hooked it to the vice-grips...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Its a PITA to get out once you've driven it in there. I used vice grips and alot of wedging around with a long pole inside the restrictor.

Its a mod I wouldnt start again without being able to afford a aftermarket exhaust if you screw up too bad.

·
Registered
482 Posts
ls14ever said:
...Its a mod I wouldnt start again without being able to afford a aftermarket exhaust if you screw up too bad.
+1. Please... for those that are reading this, do not try this unless you can afford a new exhaust at some point in the NEAR future.

As for the others, it's a pain. I grabbed some brew and made it into a project b/c when it's wedged in there, it'll take some muscle.

Must haves

1) patience
2) vice grips
3) time
4) beer, if applicable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The solution for me was using channel locks and hitting it in an outward direction with a rubber mallet. The restrictor was stuck in because one of the welds had not broken, instead some baffle material ripped out with it. Don't hammer it in any further. Try to hammer it out.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I'll try the mallet in the opposite direction idea...

oh, and I need to have some more #4 (from TOG's list)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I pulled on the thing till my fingers bled, waited a week, twisted and pulled...more bleeding...came back and gently turned and pulled a little bit at a time and then all the sudden to my surprise and infinite joy...it came right out easy as pie!

I think the key is having it turned in exactly the right place and doing some light wiggle and pulls...basically you'll never ever get it out if it's not turned exactly the same as it was to begin with, but if it is turned right, it doesn't take much force to get it out.

It was one of the happiest moments of my life when the thing finally came out!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it was a real pain for me as well. try the vise grips and also spray some wd40 down there to help lube it. I gave up and to my surprise I checked it a week later after riding for a while and it came loose.
Patience and lots of muscle.
Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts