Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an automatic TRE for myself a couple weeks ago, and it works brilliantly - noticed a big difference on my bike, and couldn't be happier. My bike is an '04

Made the exact same one for a buddy with an '07 - and reports no change. I believe it is working because the bike still works properly, and he gets the faint green neutral light. He has a power commander, I don't.

Any thoughts on why this thing isn't helping his bike out?

I used this setup for my aTRE's, with the 47k and 15k resistors:

Thanks

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
The TRE doesn't do an awful lot, it just advances the timing a bit. It does nothing close to WOT and it does nothing in 5th or 6th gear. I'm not surprised that he doesn't feel a big difference. I'm more surprised that you do.

Having said all that, check the throttle position sensor adjustment and throttle body synch on both bikes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
hey ........ mine gave me that faint green neutral bit as well. whats the deal with that

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
The TRE doesn't do an awful lot, it just advances the timing a bit. It does nothing close to WOT and it does nothing in 5th or 6th gear. I'm not surprised that he doesn't feel a big difference. I'm more surprised that you do.

Having said all that, check the throttle position sensor adjustment and throttle body synch on both bikes.
Actually, it doesn't advance the timing, it stops the bike from retarding the timing.

It does most of it's good (allowing the timing to advance) at higher RPM's in the lower gears, first through fourth. The bike allows full advance in 5th and 6th gears, so the TRE doesn't need to stop the bike from retarding the timing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't expecting it to make a difference WOT - it only works for about the first 50% of throttle in the lower gears. Definitely a cleaner pull when rolling on in those gears. You are correct about the higher gears not needing modified timing, the TRE essentially tricks the ecu into thinking it's in 6th gear all the time. The timing was retarded in the lower gears for drive-by noise requirements. Why that was needed with the stock pipe, I dunno - sounded like a bloody sewing machine.

The glowing neutral is some side effect of the TRE circuit. Sorry, don't know any more than that, but it is perfectly normal.

Thanks Andy, will check the sync on his bike - did mine at the same time as the TRE.

·
Registered
789 Posts
... He has a power commander, I don't.
I thought the Power Commander for the SV helps with the retarding already? Maybe that's why?

(BTW, not trying to be smart... not sure, but I thought that's one of the PC's benefits?)

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
I thought the Power Commander for the SV helps with the retarding already? Maybe that's why?

(BTW, not trying to be smart... not sure, but I thought that's one of the PC's benefits?)
when setting up my PCIII i didn't see anything about the timing just the feul ratio at various RPMs and just hooked inline with the fuel injectors. I'm no expert so someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The PC3 is what has me most interested as well - from what I know it doesn't affect the timing at all, but I was hoping someone would chime in about that fuel mapping...maybe it "disguises" the retarded part of the curve with a modified fuel ratio?

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
The TRE doesn't do an awful lot, it just advances the timing a bit.
Has anyone hooked up a timing light and measured how much a TRE affects timing?

Also, anybody do a back to back dyno test with TRE on/off? Even with the variability of dyno tests, a back to back test should at least show something, shouldn't it?

Best case, how much performance improvement is expected?

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I am selling Plug and Play aTREs. Check out this thread for all the information you can handle. http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=95450

hey ........ mine gave me that faint green neutral bit as well. whats the deal with that
This post describes the Neutral Light glow. http://forum.svrider.com/showpost.php?p=1427829&postcount=73

Also, anybody do a back to back dyno test with TRE on/off? Even with the variability of dyno tests, a back to back test should at least show something, shouldn't it?
A TRE only produces a mild increase in torque at the low end of the RPM range in gears 1-4. Most dyno runs are done in 5th gear where the timing is not retarded therefore comparing dyno runs with a TRE On and then Off will show no variation in results. At least none related to the TRE.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts

It doesn't really advance it... rather it jus keeps the system from retarding it in the first few gears... I do not believe the ignition is retarded after the first 1 or 2 (possibly 3) gears....

The power commander doesn't change ignition... just fuel... it just sits on top of the bikes stock fuel signal and adds or removes fuel at certain times... however you can get the add on unit box that lets you tune the ignition as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts