Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to improve my sv 2018 forks. I weigh 175 lbs. I have been spending lots of time in the mountains lately and the front suspension seems overwhelmed at times, lots of dive. I plan on doing track days with this bike and sell it next years so I don't want to invest too much money into it. I was moving towards springs, fluid, seals from Sonic Springs, below
Springs -
http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_66&products_id=136
Fluid - http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=488
Seals -
http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1288

However, a friend suggested I would be better off with Traxxion Dynamics AR25 kit, 20w and stay with my stock springs.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't have experience with that kit but I can make you a deal on a 05 gsxr 600 front end with ohlins internals. DM me if interested.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Haven't run this but have done emulators and drilled rod. Made big difference.

After watching that might take a look at these. Seems like they'll hook you up with proper springs and oil. I'd y'all to them it check Racetech calculator for information on oil weight and spring rate.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Proper springs from Sonic and fluid is the best way to get started. A lot of SVs (including mine) are also running Race Tech's emulators which are pretty much the same as the kit you are referencing. It would really just come down to price. I think I have about $300 in my forks w/ springs/emulators/fluid.
I am also circa 175 and I think you will need the right springs no matter what you do to improve damping. I went w/ 0.90kg/mm and they made a big improvement. I added emulators more recently to handle the damping issues and it feels pretty good now.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am also circa 175 and I think you will need the right springs no matter what you do to improve damping. I went w/ 0.90kg/mm and they made a big improvement. I added emulators more recently to handle the damping issues and it feels pretty good now.
I have the same setup but haven't installed the emulators yet. How would you describe the difference that the emulators make? I assume high speed damping is much improved?
I find the 0.90 springs a bit harsh when hitting the many potholes and speed bumps in NYC. Hope the emulators can improve that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the same setup but haven't installed the emulators yet. How would you describe the difference that the emulators make? I assume high speed damping is much improved?
I find the 0.90 springs a bit harsh when hitting the many potholes and speed bumps in NYC. Hope the emulators can improve that.
I did this: Racetech Emulators on my 2007
It's great now. Harshness is pretty much gone now but the biggest improvement was keeping the front tire on the ground while leaned over and hitting rough bits of road. I used to get a lot of wheel hop going through rough patches which resulted in running wide. It's much more controlled now and holds a line much better.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
The AR25's are a lot more sophisticated than emulators. They use the compression cartridge from their AK-20's. Plus they are a drop in solution without having to f with your damper rods. I'll probably put some in this winter.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
The AK25’s are nice, but the most cost effective solution is springs, oil and emulators. More SV race wins on that combo than everything else put together.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Question, can I install the the AR25 kit and bypass steps, 13, 14, 15 on the installation instructions from Traxxion
13. Pry up the dust seal with a flat screwdriver.
14. Remove the clip over the oil seal.
15. “Slide Hammer” the tube and leg apart.
I ask because my 2018 sv650 has only 5000 miles, watched a video where slide hammering the tube apart damaged a good bushing, and less steps for someone like me with little skills.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Question, can I install the the AR25 kit and bypass steps, 13, 14, 15 on the installation instructions from Traxxion
13. Pry up the dust seal with a flat screwdriver.
14. Remove the clip over the oil seal.
15. “Slide Hammer” the tube and leg apart.
I ask because my 2018 sv650 has only 5000 miles, watched a video where slide hammering the tube apart damaged a good bushing, and less steps for someone like me with little skills.

I have this exact kit on my track day bike and have been using it this season with great results. I can't compare it to any other kit on an SV, but I've used emulators on other bikes, and what I like about these is that they give you new damper rods with the right size orifices drilled into the already. Thinking back to my installation, I did remove the the bushings and seals because I was rebuilding the forks, but I don't believe you have to remove them. You remove the old damper rods and associated hardware before you separate the forks, so I can't see why you couldn't just stop before step 13. I think they suggest replacing all those parts because you already have the forks apart, but if you're installing these on relatively new forks that don't need to be serviced, I think you'll be find skipping that.

Reactions: thedrewski86

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you are already that deep into it you might as well do it. You are almost due for service anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally installed the Traxxion Dynamics AR25 kit. I by passed pulling the tube and legs apart. It was difficult trying to align the damper rod to the small piece that fits on the end of the damper rod as that piece was stuck at the bottom of the leg. I used a long wooden dowel to position and align the two. Also, the damper rod was spinning when trying to tighten it. Used a high speed drill to set the bolt and it caught, was able to tighten to specs.
I'm itching to get out and see how it performs just can't now as the smoke here in Sacto CA is horrible!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts