Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone maybe you can help clear this up for me,

I've been reading the forums about suspension upgrades and the Traxxion Drop-In Kit with springs + emulators looks like a good mid-cost option that covers the basics and should meet my needs for a long time.

People mentioned here that the price was around $250 but when I checked the Traxxion website it's listed at $350. This seems a bit steep to me, is this the normal price?

Here's the actual product page:
http://www.traxxion.com/SV650Drop-InDamperRodKit.aspx

thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
I believe that's been the price on it for a while, the racetech emulators are cheaper but supposedly aren't quite as nice. Traxxion also recommends that you send them your forks for the emulators to be installed, which adds 150 but they replace your seals and fork oil. They offer a 10 percent discount to SVR members

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The traxxion kit DOES use Ractech emulators. The point of the traxxion kit is to not have to send your forks in, thats why it comes with new damping rods.

If you add it up, really not that bad of a price at $350.
$150 for emulators
$125 for springs

So you're paying $75 for the new damping rods that have better tolerances and dot require you to drill and weld your old stockers.

And no, I dont have a traxxion kit. But had I to do it over again, I would go that route

·
Registered
289 Posts
I did the traxxion kit and I would not have done it any other way. The whole install was very straight forward and the small premium for the new damper rod was worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The traxxion kit DOES use Ractech emulators. The point of the traxxion kit is to not have to send your forks in, thats why it comes with new damping rods.
I just called them after getting a set of their rods and emulators used, with some questions. I was told that they use a different "hat" on the racetech emulators with a smaller hole. He said it makes for more rebound damping, and also works with the 10 weight oil better. He also said that their rods are wider diameter than stock.
So, the rods and emulators are both their "tweaked" version of the part.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Within the next couple weeks I will have a used Drop-In Kit for sale. Racetech emulators, fork springs (for 190 lb rider), and modified stock damper rods. I have no doubt Traxxion's tweaks are an improvement, but keep in mind the end user can tweak the emulator himself by changing out the valve spring:

http://racetech.com/html_files/DampingRodForks.HTML

Traxxion says it themselves on their site, the main benefit of their kit is that is saves you "all of the normally tedious drilling, deburring, and brazing" of your stock damper rods.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What will the new dampening rods do to forks?
I'm looking at upgrading suspension either the new front springs route or a gsxr front end conversion if I can find a deal.
Would this benefit someone significantly that is trying to upgrade suspension?
I mainly commute and ride street.
-- Sorry for getting off topic.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Springs and oil will make for a big improvement, but sharper bumps will still be somewhat harsh. Overall feel and handling huge positive improvement. Emulators will give you a relief valve to let more oil flow on bigger hits. You modify the stock damper rods when you install them by drilling some holes larger, and closing a small hole. Traxxion sells rods already set up to work well with their emulators no drilling or closing needed.
I'd try springs and oil, or springs oil emulators (whether you modify the rods and use Racetech emulators or get the Traxxion set), and see what you think unless you're itching to go for the gusto on the full swap, which I am sure would be a great improvement as well.
$.02

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I was told that they use a different "hat" on the racetech emulators with a smaller hole. He said it makes for more rebound damping, and also works with the 10 weight oil better. He also said that their rods are wider diameter than stock.
Didn't know about the hat being different. The rod diameter is part of the "better tolerances" I mentioned

Traxxion says it themselves on their site, the main benefit of their kit is that is saves you "all of the normally tedious drilling, deburring, and brazing" of your stock damper rods.
Correct, and that's a tremendous benefit if you're lacking on time or brazing equipment! The other benefit is that the 10wt oil is more temperature stable than 20wt that you would normally use.

What will the new dampening rods do to forks?
I'm looking at upgrading suspension either the new front springs route or a gsxr front end conversion if I can find a deal.
Would this benefit someone significantly that is trying to upgrade suspension?
I mainly commute and ride street.
-- Sorry for getting off topic.
The problem with GSXR conversions, is that most people don't get the valving adjusted to match the SV and their weight. So after all that work and money... you STILL don't have a properly setup suspension! Springs and oil were 85% of the difference... emulators made the other 15%. For commuting... I probably call it good with just springs and oil unless you have really rough roads. For track (especially the local rough ass tracks) the emulators are absolutely worth it!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have a set of stock 2nd gen damper rods if you want to modify them before tearing your forks apart so you don't have any down time.

PM me if you're interested. I did the same thing, modified another set of damper rods and then took the forks off and just swapped everything over.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. Alright yeah I suppose $350 sounds reasonable then, I saw a post mentioning $250 so was confused also considering I can get sonic springs for < $100.

My bike has it's 4000 mile checkup coming up, anyone ever ask a Suzuki Dealer to drop in new springs or whatever while they check the forks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.