Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided I should get out and see a little more of the world. Not necessarily out of the states, but I'm open to that as well. My general time frame is for January for a week or so.

My current idea is to either grab a friend and just hit a fun location like Taiwan (one of my buds from school spent some time there and knows a little of the language).

If I can't get a friend to go with me I'm considering keeping it in the states and trying to stay somewhere near a racetrack and rent a bike. In my opinion this would be easier than track prepping my street bike and getting out to a place that wouldn't be freezing in January.

So I'm looking for input on what people who have traveled think and recommend. Whether it's input on my current plans or suggesting different itineraries I want to really sound this out.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats your budget?
Good question, meant to put that in. I'd like to keep it right about a grand. I figure that can get me about a week at a resort, and if I shop for deals I can do something else for about the same type. I'd be willing to adjust if it warranted it though.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Good question, meant to put that in. I'd like to keep it right about a grand. I figure that can get me about a week at a resort, and if I shop for deals I can do something else for about the same type. I'd be willing to adjust if it warranted it though.
Do you want to go to a resort, or do you want to fully experience a new place?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Wait, you thought you were going to get to Taiwan for a week for a grand?
I'd guess that a flight to Taiwan is going to eat up most of your budget.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you want to go to a resort, or do you want to fully experience a new place?
A resort would only really be worth it if I was with friends. What I'd really like to do is a motorcycle tour of part of the UK, but not in January.

Wait, you thought you were going to get to Taiwan for a week for a grand?
I'd guess that a flight to Taiwan is going to eat up most of your budget.
That might be so, I hadn't looked long and hard at that. Taiwan was a passing thought since I knew someone who had been.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Head to Costa Rica or Nicaragua, rent a small dualsport bike for a week, and travel around. My guess is you could easily do a week for under a grand.

:vroom:

http://www.nicamotoadv.com/rent_rental_moto_nicaragua.html
I don't know much about either of those places really, pitch it to me, why would I like to go there?

Also, I'm 22, their site says they can make exceptions, and I've had my license for 3 years, but that is a pertinent detail to bear in mind.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I personally would not rent a motorcycle anywhere outside the US, Canada or Europe. Drivers in other parts of the world tend to be crazy and without knowing where you are, you could find yourself in a bad place really quickly. I would recommend finding someone from out west who knows some good canyon roads to ride and plan your trip around there. That would be fun to do Im sure.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally would not rent a motorcycle anywhere outside the US, Canada or Europe. Drivers in other parts of the world tend to be crazy and without knowing where you are, you could find yourself in a bad place really quickly. I would recommend finding someone from out west who knows some good canyon roads to ride and plan your trip around there. That would be fun to do Im sure.
That's a good idea, though they'd need to have a spare bike most likely. Anyone live near a track where the weather is good all year and I can rent? Or like lax said, good canyon roads and an inclination to show them to me?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I don't know much about either of those places really, pitch it to me, why would I like to go there?

Also, I'm 22, their site says they can make exceptions, and I've had my license for 3 years, but that is a pertinent detail to bear in mind.
If you want to go someplace and ride for a week, on a rental bike, for that price range, you are going to have to leave the US and do it in someplace cheaper. Central America and a good chunck of Asia work in that regard, but airfare to Asia is going to be double that of going to Central America. Out of Central America, Nicaragua and Costa Rica are among the safer bets for a ******, and things like minimum ages are less likely to be enforced, especially if a tip changes hands.

I have no connection to the rental company in the link I posted, I just threw it up there so that you could see how cheap it would be outside of the "first world." It would cost between $125-$250/day in the states to rent a bike, and I highly doubt any rental company will budge on the minimum age in the US.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want to go someplace and ride for a week, on a rental bike, for that price range, you are going to have to leave the US and do it in someplace cheaper. Central America and a good chunck of Asia work in that regard, but airfare to Asia is going to be double that of going to Central America. Out of Central America, Nicaragua and Costa Rica are among the safer bets for a ******, and things like minimum ages are less likely to be enforced, especially if a tip changes hands.

I have no connection to the rental company in the link I posted, I just threw it up there so that you could see how cheap it would be outside of the "first world." It would cost between $125-$250/day in the states to rent a bike, and I highly doubt any rental company will budge on the minimum age in the US.
That's a good point, but I was thinking the age limits would be different for a track because it's a completely different setting. Maybe not.

What is there to see in Central America? I've never really taken an interest in it to know.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Twisty roads, cheap booze, and pretty girls that tend to like gringos...what else do you need? Hotels will only run $15-30/night, food is 1/3 the cost of what you'd pay inside of a walled resort...

That's why my first question was if you wanted a resort experience, or to actually experience a place. They are very different goals, and tend to be mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Twisty roads, cheap booze, and pretty girls that tend to like gringos...what else do you need? Hotels will only run $15-30/night, food is 1/3 the cost of what you'd pay inside of a walled resort...

That's why my first question was if you wanted a resort experience, or to actually experience a place. They are very different goals, and tend to be mutually exclusive.
How much of a language barrier?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
You're not going to be having in depth, philosophical discussions if you don't speak spanish, but 15-20 choice phrases learned on the flight down, animated guestures, and a sense of andventure and you'll be fine. ;)

Seriously though, I took a long bike trip 2 years ago that put me in Mexico for 5+ weeks. I basically spoke no spanish when I crossed the border (could curse someone out, ask for a beer or a toilet, etc, just a few phrases I had picked up over the years). After that great experience I wouldn't let language barriers scare me off of any location, especially one that uses the same alphabet as english.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
A resort would only really be worth it if I was with friends.
You don't get a lot of local flavor at a resort. A resort is like for people who want to visit other cultures yet keep them at the door.

Seriously though, I took a long bike trip 2 years ago that put me in Mexico for 5+ weeks. I basically spoke no spanish when I crossed the border (could curse someone out, ask for a beer or a toilet, etc, just a few phrases I had picked up over the years). After that great experience I wouldn't let language barriers scare me off of any location, especially one that uses the same alphabet as english.
Being able to run around places like that alone as a male is something I'm jealous about.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're not going to be having in depth, philosophical discussions if you don't speak spanish, but 15-20 choice phrases learned on the flight down, animated guestures, and a sense of andventure and you'll be fine. ;)

But can I get enough time to hit stride and such if I'm only planning on a week, maybe two at most? I've taken some Spanish over the years, I think I could pick up enough to scrape through.

At a resort, really the only upside is that there's less of an issue of needing some time to hit stride, especially with a friend.

You don't get a lot of local flavor at a resort. A resort is like for people who want to visit other cultures yet keep them at the door.

Being able to run around places like that alone as a male is something I'm jealous about.
And a resort could be interesting, but I doubt as much as the real thing.

They have surgeries for that. It would give new meaning to "SVR, now with more dick"

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I have a penis, you have a vagina! :lmao:

On a serious note, I hate that this is an issue, but I have similar concerns with my girlfriend. I was telling her a story a few days ago involving dirtbikes, riding through slot canyons in BFE UT, and meth heads camped at a group of hot springs...but I got to thinking, with me and my idiot friends in tow it's just a funny encounter and we can intimidate most things we stumble upon, if it were her alone or even with a few female riders it could be a much worse situation, and I have to think about that now that she is pushing for her own bike.

But can I get enough time to hit stride and such if I'm only planning on a week, maybe two at most? I've taken some Spanish over the years, I think I could pick up enough to scrape through.

At a resort, really the only upside is that there's less of an issue of needing some time to hit stride, especially with a friend.
If you are riding most of the day, then you aren't talking to people during that time...

Seriously, 4-8hrs with some podcasts and you'll know more than I do, especially if you took Spanish in school (I took french, it helped, but not much)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you are riding most of the day, then you aren't talking to people during that time...

Seriously, 4-8hrs with some podcasts and you'll know more than I do, especially if you took Spanish in school (I took french, it helped, but not much)
I haven't done any off roading to speak of either, how much will that crimp the fun factor? You seem to have done some simply by virtue of your avatar.

I was thinking it would have been less riding, more seeing stuff at your destination and doing whatever.

I'm also getting the distinct feeling I'm aiming too large with too many variables just to get out of home area. Would anyone here recommend something like camping in CA? Or maybe some other activity inside the states (doesn't have to be motorcycle centric since that's probably cost prohibitive). If I'm not willing to meet people in the states, I might struggle to do so anywhere else if I'm by myself.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Just for the sake of ideas:

From Delaware, you should be able to fly anywhere for a reasonable rate. Pick a travelocity deal, pack a bag, some good shoes, and roll the dice! Don't discount cold places, which can be interesting for their embrace of the weather (Quebec's winter carnival, for instance) or their indoor activities.

There's always the road trip option: Budget for fuel, pack a camping guide and warm sleeping bag, point the car south and do some exploring. Hit a hotel every other day for a shower, spend a couple days at the 'destination' and enjoy the scenery. Just be ready to dodge a little weather to stay on schedule.

Edit: Stateside cities on my short list: New Orleans while it's still afloat. Austin or Nashville for the music scene. Key West for the bucket list. I'm also about five states short on my 'been there' list - Hawaii is just cost prohibitive. Then there's the three biggies in NYC: Ground Zero, Empire State building and Statue of Liberty.
Seattle is terrific even in winter. Phoenix is warm, but a little boring. Vegas needs no introduction. Really any major city, once you find an economical place to stay, is more than you can explore in a week if you are interested in just looking at culture and urban patterns (I'm an architect, not a psychologist). Budget your funds well and you can really get some perspective just by exploring on foot or bicycle. If you're a camper, there are parks and trails all over this country that'll cost you less than $50 a day to explore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts