Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure the individual topics in this thread have been covered elsewhere ad nauseum but it's been challenging to find a decent summary by searching. I want to race an SV next year -- my current bike is a gen1 with a penske triple and traxxion ak-20 forks and I go pretty good on it (1:20 at PIR, not quite a podium time yet but getting close!)

For tunability I'd prefer to have a 2nd gen and I know a guy who's selling a nice 2nd gen track bike but I want to get all my tuned suspension bits onto it without some massive hassle.

1) Is it possible to bolt up the front end (forks and wheel) from the Gen1 to the Gen2 and vice versa? If not I'll have to send both sets of forks to Traxxion to swap the inserts to the 2nd gen and then find a replacement set of forks for the gen1 since I want to keep it for the street and apparently the cartridge swap is irreversible.

2) Similar issue -- is the Penske a direct bolt-on swap from gen1 to gen2?

I know that with some fiddling i could make it all work but I'm lazy :)

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
1) Easiest is to use that whole front end but use 2nd gen triples (may not be legal for ss). To swap AK from fork to fork you would need new caps and valve holders.
2) No, needs length adjusted and spring/valving but doable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just went through this. My first gen only had springs and gold valves in the forks, so I bought all new for the new bike. I put a lighter spring on my Penske, adjusted it as short as it would go and bolted it in. The shock works perfectly fine for me. Now if only my 2nd gen wasn't slower on the straights despite comparable engine mods...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
2nd gen shock stock length is ~340mm; 1st gen is 330mm

Also spring on 2nd gen needs to be rated 150 lbs less than when shock was on 1st gen. I swapped my penske from 1st to 2nd gen and since length was good already, all I had to do was swap the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 1st gen had a full system and jetted. 2nd gen has full Yosh system and PC5. I think I'll have to do the basic supersport-legal motor mods starting with a thinner head gasket.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the 2nd gen rear need to be raised as much as the 1st gen does? My '02 is cranked about as high as it will go which made a big difference.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've asked for some swap estimates from Traxxion and a suspension shop here in the PNW so we'll see what they say. That will impact the overall cost of the bike quite a bit I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
if you want/need stock gen 1 parts for the fork legs holler - think I still have a set in the garage (read as tubes shot, lowers unmolested...)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
330 for 2nd gen vs 337 for 1st gen.
Thanks for the correction. :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I have a 425 penske spring if you need it !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts