Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 02 sv650s wont shift up to 3rd and the range of motion between 1st and 2nd on the toe lever is a couple on inches and it feels really loose to shift.........any sugestions?? oh and i stunt this bike

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Whew, at first I thought this post was about shemales.

Sounds like it could be bent shift forks but it could be any number of things, probably going to have to just tear it down and look for bent forks, gear shafts, and cracked or mashed up gears.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
I'd try the oil change before I'd start tearing into anything, if it hasn't been changed in a while, it could easily be the problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you......i dont know much about bukes (im a 16 yr old stunter...do the math lol) but changing the transmission oil something i can do myself with a service manual?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
thank you......i dont know much about bukes (im a 16 yr old stunter...do the math lol) but changing the transmission oil something i can do myself with a service manual?
Transmission oil?

Hmmm....

It's a single crankcase. Engine oil = transmission oil. Change your oil and filter.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
bent shift forks?????

Yes. These are inside the tranny and perform the action of shifting the cogs in there. To fix them you'd have to rip the engine apart.

Stunting's cool, if you do it OFF the phucking roads. Read: parking lots.

You might want to consider a different bike, though. The SV doesn't survive long-distance wheelies very well. Why? The front cylinder, when elevated, often doesn't get enough oil. So it dies and goes boom.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
and it feels really loose to shift......
I've had the gear shift return spring break on my bike which sounds similar to your problem. Is the shift lever "floppy" or does it spring back OK?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The following is inside my GSXR600, but I'm pretty sure it's very similar to what's in the SV.

This is a shift fork:

It slides these gears left and right so you can shift:

If one or more of these forks are bent, the gears won't slide far enough and won't mesh with the other gears properly, so you can't shift.

Or you might have the same problem I did. I'm not sure though, because I couldn't shift out of 4th gear. The shifter would just move up and down, but no shifting. Look at the pretty pictures:

The circled bolt was loose, causing the shift star (the funny shaped cam with the posts sticking out of it) to just wobble back and forth instead of turning the shift cam (the slotted barrel that moves the forks into position for each gear). Once I loctited and tightened the bolt, it looked like this:

This concludes today's session of "Here's what your problem might be and why it's an issue."

Good luck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
engine oil and transmission oil are the same. When you change the engine oil and filter, you are also changing the tranny oil. Make sense? They share the same lubrication system, and oil.

Being that the bike is stunted, when was the last time it was dropped on the left side?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts