Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first bike, a 82' Yamaha RD350 in really great shape (previous owner garaged it for 20 years), and I live out in the country so I have been practicing riding it since I got it, and I am fairly confident in my skills. I've booked myself into a rider course already, but its not coming up for a while. I really want to ride, and I'm considering taking the rider test before doing the training. I will still take the training after though. What do you guys think? Should I wait till after the training to take it? Or should I just take it now?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
well, for starters, it probably needs tires.. take a wrench to it, check for loose nuts/bolts, make sure you keep OIL in the oil tank for the oil injection system, clean the air filter, check/adjust the chain, THEN go out and practice some more, you'll need insurance to ride on the road, see what the difference is between training and no training, you might be amazed!! do what you feel comfortable with, but, BABY STEPS!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
99% (made up stastistic) of riders dont take a training class before riding or getting their license. Not saying this is right but is the norm. Living in the country doesnt mean safer just means in the country. Dirt oil cows cars are hazards anywhere. Personally I would ride and as Weasle said baby steps. There are alot of things about riding a motorcycle that you have no equivelent with cars or bicycles. only training and experence with teach them to you. so start getting some experence and it will make you a better student when the class comes avalalbe.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
when i was selling RD's, on a test ride, i would always tell the people not to 'screw it on' unless your're in a straight line 'cause the front end is gonna come up, fast....

so, until you get use to the power/powerband, most definetly BABY steps!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, for starters, it probably needs tires.. take a wrench to it, check for loose nuts/bolts, make sure you keep OIL in the oil tank for the oil injection system, clean the air filter, check/adjust the chain, THEN go out and practice some more, you'll need insurance to ride on the road, see what the difference is between training and no training, you might be amazed!! do what you feel comfortable with, but, BABY STEPS!!!
Haha no, the guy just took out about 2 years ago, and he is a pretty big bike fanatic himself, it was well taken care of. I know alot about bike maintenance already. And alright thanks guys. I can't wait to ride it to school everyday. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts