Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice/info.

Gonna buy a new trailer, and I would think its a good idea to have one that could handle 2 bikes.

Can a 4x8 handle 2 bikes.....?

I assume they would have to be staggered to keep the bars from hitting... correct?

My first choice is this Shorelandr trailer, made for motorcycles with a lower deck height, and they have chocks that bolt to the front rail. The deck is 50" wide, and the salesperson says it can handle 2 bikes...... but I am not so sure of that, because the website lists it as a single bike trailer.

But I can get it without the shield if it would fit 2 bikes better

Or should I just go for a regular ol' 5x8 utility trailer, and do my own chock setup on it?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I've towed two bikes on a 5x8 utility trailer before, and it worked perfectly. I would think you could get two bikes on a 4' wide, but it would be tight, and you may HAVE to stagger them. I would just go with the 5x8, because you could also use it for anything else you need.

If you go that route, you may consider welding D-rings in choice locations on the railing, as your tie-downs can rub and wear through if you just loop them around the railing. The last thing you'd want is a cut tie-down while moving.

I actually used a piece of plywood to mount the chocks to, and bolted the whole unit to the floor of the trailer. When you're done with hauling the bikes, just unbolt the whole unit, and your trailer is left with just a couple of bolt-holes. The weight from the front tires ensures the plywood stays put, too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Craig, have you tried it out yet and if so how does it handle? I am looking for just that kind of trailer, but am a little worried how it will handle at Interstate speeds.
to

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'd go with the 5 X 8 too.....but take into consideration the width of your tow vehicle too. The weight difference between the 4 X 8 and 5 X 8 wouldn't be much, but that full-width ramp sticking up in the air behind you will make your gas gauge plummet like someone drilled a hole in your fuel tank if the trailer is much wider than your tow vehicle.

For longer trips it would even be worthwhile to make the ramp removeable, (make brackets to stow it under the trailer bed). Those fold-up ramps are handy and quick for loading.....but the drag they produce is surprising.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you're getting a utility trailer and want to carry 2 bikes, I would recommend getting a 5x8' with a 3-3.5' gate. You can do 2 bikes on a 4' trailer but it is incredibly tight and chances of bumping or scratching bikes together are pretty high... 12" or greater wheels are also a nice thing to have.... Put in a few D-rings for tiedowns and a chock or two to hold the front wheels straight (Baxley Sport Chocks are my favorite. http://www.baxleycompanies.com/ )

·
Registered
87 Posts
Great results.

theomen said:
Craig, have you tried it out yet and if so how does it handle? I am looking for just that kind of trailer, but am a little worried how it will handle at Interstate speeds.
to
Theo,

Since I bought the Harbor freight trailer I've used it on two 1000 mile trips and one 150 mile trip. Bear in mind all three trips I was pulling a single sport bike. The last trip was when I picked up my '05 SV650S in NC. The trip home with the bike yielded 23 MPG driving my '05 Pontiac Grand Prix(avg speed 75 MPH with air conditioning). Which I thought was impressive.

Would I pull two sportbikes on it? Yes I would considering I spent a little more time setting up the trailer to accomodate two bikes(wheel chocks, tie down rings strategically located..etc..). The capacity of the trailer is 1450 pounds according to the owners manual so I think its do-able.

Overall I'm delighted with the trailer. It does EXACTLY what I was hoping it would do and has proved to be a decent product.

Craig
'05 SV650S

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok....... so far great opinions......

I am not doing a Harbor Freight, I just dont wanna do a bolt together trailer.

So if I wanna to a trailer for 2 bikes....... get a 5x8.

The only reason I was thinking of 2 bikes, is becuase I wanted to be nice, and if I was to go somewhere with a freind, I could trailer both bikes...... just gotta decide if I wanna be nice.....LOL

As far as a tow vehicle....... non issue .... 1/2 ton Silverado.... 8500lb tow rating....... gets crappy mileage no matter what I do....

Here's another scenerio..... since I really like that fancy Shorelandr trailer....
Isn't is possible to back the "buddies" bike onto the smaller trailer so that the bikes were pointed in opposite directions for more room? This should give some more room..... shouldnt it? Just a thought....

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I fit two bikes on my 4X8 trailer, but yeah, it is very tight.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DougZ said:
I fit two bikes on my 4X8 trailer, but yeah, it is very tight.
Side by side?....... staggered?.......... or one facing each direction?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Side by side, one with mirrors and one with out. I think if I try it next time, it will be one facing each way.

·
Registered
336 Posts
just remember to have room to fit a chock in the back if you do the different facing setup. and make it removable to make loading/unloading easier

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
On my trailer now, I have one of those quick release rails, for use of quick release chocks and anchor points. The rails go for about $15 and the chocks go for about $45 each. For future towing, I plan on installing another one of those rails twoards the back side of my trailer,so I can do the afore mentioned opposite facing bike loading.

Sidenote: I was able to have two bikes, side by side, not staggered, on my trailer. One was my track bike and one was my street SV, I was going to my last trackday and wasn't sure if the track bike motor would make it through the day..so I brougtht the SV just incase. Actually, the SV was track prepped, so no mirrors were on either bike. The bikes were close together and I was worried about one hitting the other. I took one of the spare rear tires that I was bringing with me, wrapped it in this thick foam I have, and jammed it between the two bikes. That worked well for keeping the clip on of the track bike from hitting the fairings of the SV.

In the furture, I will find a better way to load two bikes.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I thought putting two bikes on my 4x8 would be great with one facing backward. Then I started not liking the idea of having the wind hitting the wind screen from the opposite side. While it would probably be okay, to me, the likelihood of that windscreen (and possibly fairing) getting ripped off by 90+mph winds (speed combined with winds) changed MY mind.

Josh

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
The 5x8 utility trailer is probably the best bang for your buck. I have 5x8 enclosed I'd sell you if you were interested. I'd sell it to you for the same price i bought it for (used) if you were interested. Two bikes fit...but it is waaaaaaay tight.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I would recommend getting something with at least 12" tires. 2 bikes is a lot of weight on those little 8s.

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
I COULD fit 2 bikes on my 4x8 harbor freight (w/ no rails or anything), but I think I would have to stagger them.

As far as my trailer & gas mpg goes, I brought it to the rally. 6hr trip.
It hurt my gas mileage by (from my avg estimates) by about 1 mpg.
Not too shabby considering the U-haul I brought last year took it down by 5 or 6 mpg.

Dont get a lift gate. Just make yourself a ramp. Those liftgates are horrible for mileage.
They also make the trailer less stable.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Maybe this is too late, but I am a big fan of the 4x8 trailer. I have hauled 2 bikes literally tens of thousands of miles on my Northern-Tool 4x8 Trailer. It is pretty much the same as the Harbor freight job.
I can fit 2 sportbikes, a ramp, and a 10x10 EZUP plus gas cans on it.

The key is to get a 6" piece of angle iron and bolt it across the front of the trailer. I originally set it up with PINGELL removable chocks, I placed them about 6" inboard from the outer edge. I put a bit eye bolt through the angle iron at each end and the middle, so each bike was centered on a 3 foot mounting point. I also put a mounting point in the center of the trailer, and 3 mounting points at the rear of the trailer (on each corner of the back end and the center of the back end). I always tie down my bikes with 6 straps so they are super stable and I have never had them trade any paint.

I went with the 4x8 mainly because of weight. My friend has a 5x8 with the ramp and it is VERY nice. Built better and will probably last longer. But it cost more than twice as much and is a LOT heavier. I am pulling with a car so that was my big concern. The weight of 2 sportbikes isn't so much, but you are probably going somewhere, and you've got 2 guys, PLUS gear and the normal luggage, so it can start to add up fairly quickly. I typically trailer the bikes with near empty fuel tanks and empty gas cans, you can always buy gas when you get where you're going and thats almost 20gallon x 8lbs/gallon = 160 lbs you don't need to be dragging around if you are concerned about weight. The folding ramps do add a lot of drag as well.
12" wheels are a must. I use 12x5.3. And get bearing buddies as well.

Here's a pic. The VW is my father-in-laws and he used to do track days with me. We would get 27 mpg @ 80 mph with that little guy. The guy in the pic is my friend Jon with his 929 track bike. My old ghetto track sv is hiding behind it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts