Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 390 Posts

· Premium Member
14,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<Don't mind the title boys it's to help the search engine and noobs locate this thread and info cause retyping this every PM is killing me!!!>

Okay so let's begin again,...... (and again today 3/29/08 cause my stupid dumb ass deleted the pics from my photobucket account that are needed for this thread.)

I got their #75-300 Suzuki kit with the dashboard #022-PDA and 1" water temp sensor with 28" lead #7500-3076. However Jeapardy98 heard/thinks the temp sensor that comes in the kit can be wired into the OEM temp sensor in the SV radiator. I don't know if this will work so you'll have to ask him or just call Trail Tech, a tech will gladly answer all your questions as they did mine. 360.687.4530 .

>>> 05.01.08 Update!! There is now an SV650 ( 99-08 ) specific kit available from Trail Tech, Part Number: 75-600, Price: $124.95 YAY!!!<<<

http://www.trailtech.net/75-300.html

bracket made and mounted in stock gauge mounting bolts. If you can do better have at it!!!

Hard wired it into the OEM wiring to keep the OEM harness* connectors for ease of removal. Please see wiring diagram in Suzuki service manual for wire color codes page 7-32. Just figure out which lights you want from the 8 and then find the wire to connect it to.
*(Since my tach was busted in a fall I used the harness as the speedo wasn't sellable on its own. If your cluster is working it's worth $300 on ebay so don't cut the harness or plugs off, you may just have to hard wire the cluster into the bikes main harness or add some connectors if you want to make it removeable.)

1" Temp sensor cut into exit radiator hose you'll need to drain the coolant and remove hose. This is great time to flush and fill your system too. ;)

I put this on the exit side to read the temp of the coolant going back into the engine just like the OEM temp sensor does, it's located just before the out flow tube FYI. Any where in the hose will work. I should have put it closer to the front cause of the sensors leads length (28") but you live and learn. And some black spray paint can be used if you want to make it blend in with the hose.

I ran the speedo pick up wire to the inside right of the rear wheel along the swing arm as I couldn't find a good place on the front wheel with the pick up wires configuration and distance to the magnet. This is out of the way, the lead was long enough and some auto epoxy on the pick up sensor and magnet are holding strong after many miles and washings. (The tape was just to hold it in place while the epoxy cured). ( I've seen some very creative front wheel pick up mountings since I first did mine so think outside the box folks and make it work!!)

For Tach install see below updated attachment...

Okay so I got the Trail Tech Vapor back in Jan 07 and everyone knows about the jumpy eratic tach problems those of us with Vapors have. Well today I have finally fixed the problem and it's smooth as butter, doesn't drop out or go blank any more. It works like it suppose to!!! ;D

So using their Yamaha Raptor 7000 ATV tach sensor wire (7000-1020) with a built in resistor (don't ask me how many ohms folk) I plugged the positive wire (red) directly into the positive output wire of the rear coil (white) to get the signal to the Vapor.

No need to wrap the sensor wire around the plug wire or anything, just plug it into the positive and it should be all good. Also you will need to set your pluses per revolution (PPr) to 1.0 and my pluse RPM is set to 0000. See pages 20 and 21 in the Vapor manual for setting this. If you don't have a manual call Trail Tech (360.687.4530)

I also made a couple of vids of the Vapor running so you can see that it does work. One is stationary just reving up in down the RPMs and the other is moving so sorry if you get motion sickness while watching it. :)

Stationary
==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOsOHizUIY0
Moving
==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA_JcPKpQjs

And I have a 1st gen SV folks, I have no idea if this fix will work on the 2nd gen, try it and see and if it doesn't work try something else.
And lastly if you want to set the Vapor odometer to read where your current speedo was here is how you do it.

Vapor ODO setting.

Removed at the request of Trail Tech ( 04.25.08 ). Please Contact them for specifics for this feature.

Installed and running.

==> http://trailtech.net/computers.html

I hope this answers all your questions.

:-* Nexus242

· Registered
159 Posts
Great writeup Nex! :thumbsup:

I'm in the process of installing mines in my 2nd gen, so maybe i'll make a diagram (and photo's) of the wiring for it. Other than that the basic concept is the same. I'll post up the pics as soon as i'm done installing it (may be awhile though got a good amount of trackdays the next 2 months lol).

· Premium Member
14,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jeopardy98 said:
Hey thanks for that Nexus ;) J/K. So did the power wire with the resistor solve your tach issues?
Not yet but I'm gonna lift the tank again and play around with how many times I wrap the wire and to which plug I wrap it to. Trail Tech says it should work and I believe it should work but making it 100% all the time beyond 3000rpms is proving to be a challenge.

:)

· Registered
5,751 Posts
Forget the wrap, just wire it directly to the stock tach wire and ground to the frame. That's how I have mine now but sometimes it jumps a little and it's off across the board by about 2000. I think I will call for one of those resistor power wires and just try it.

· Registered
980 Posts
awesome write up. I think I'll get one of these if/when I get around to mounting the gixxer front end on my gs500, as the stock gauges will have to go!

· Registered
93 Posts
Nexus, again thanks for the information. I am getting ready to install my Vapor gauges and thought I would let you know the temp readings I found.

The cooling fan starts at 204.8 F and turns off at 195.8 F, and the Engine coolant temperature switch turns on at 239 F and off at 226.4 F. So I am planning on setting my warning light at 206 or 207 F (just above the fan kickon), and then my danger light at 227 F.

· Premium Member
14,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jeopardy98 said:
Forget the wrap, just wire it directly to the stock tach wire and ground to the frame. That's how I have mine now but sometimes it jumps a little and it's off across the board by about 2000. I think I will call for one of those resistor power wires and just try it.

Humm that sounds like the #4 wire in the OEM harness. Will have to give that a try on my next day off from work that I don't go back into work to do more work.

:)

· Registered
5 Posts
Awesome pics Nexus! I have an SV coming this weekend to Trail Tech and we should have a dashboard milled up and a part created to hold the Vapor. Hoping we can install the indicator lights into it as well. I'll post the pics of the install and check with you guys for some feedback. Any suggestions let me know! Nows the time :)

Thanks, Wade H

· Registered
11 Posts
Awesome pics Nexus! I have an SV coming this weekend to Trail Tech and we should have a dashboard milled up and a part created to hold the Vapor. Hoping we can install the indicator lights into it as well. I'll post the pics of the install and check with you guys for some feedback. Any suggestions let me know! Nows the time :)

Thanks, Wade H
I am in the market for a compact gage for my track bike (1st gen SV). My Sharkskinz TLR style fairing prevents using the oem SVS gages. Please let me know the status of the changes you're making (Trail Tech web site up-to-date?)....especially interested in plugging water temp sensor direct to oem sensor instead of cutting the hose....and has latest version addressed erratic tach readout?

Thanks.

· Premium Member
3,870 Posts
Erratic tach readout isn't a problem. Just ask for the Raptor ATV tach sensor wire instead of the one that comes with the kit and wire it to the ignition coil.

Not sure about the hose/sensor thing. If you remove the OEM temp sensor and plug in the Vapor sensor, will it prevent your rad fan from kicking in?

Oh, and the Vapor has a bit of an issue reading ambient temps. Mine reads anywhere from 10 degrees to 30 degrees above actual. I called Trail Tech about it and they know about it. They offer: the backlight warms up the air inside the unit, which is also where the ambient temp sensor is, causing it to read high. This is exacerbated when the sun is shining on the unit.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
Even tho it is months later......Nex, thanks again for the write up. Your info was probably more useful to me then the instructions.

Thanks again.

· Registered
9 Posts
Great write up Nexus, can anyone that has the resistor wire do me a favor and ohm it out for us so the rest of us know how many ohms it has. This way we can just solder in a few resistors to match instead of waiting for the right wire to show up.

· BannedCampCounselor
12,850 Posts
It may or may not help you guys but even though I have the Acewell gauges, I too needed to add a resistor to steady out the tach. 600k (6 x 100k resistors) is what I soldered up and it works flawlessly.

· Registered
476 Posts
did you hook the power straight to the battery or to the harness? If to the harness, which wires did you splice into?

Thanks.

· Registered
476 Posts
my sv is the Naked with no running lights ... can I tap into the headlamp wires?

1 - 20 of 390 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.