Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy on a local forum has an 02 Ktm lc4 640 super Moto for sale. I pm'd him about a trade and asked If he would want my 03 sv1000s and he said yes.

I'm Planning on meeting up with him tomorrow and seeing if we can get a deal going.

What do you guys think?

Any of you guys ride super motos?

Jeff

My bike (trust me it doesn't look this good in person)

His bike

It needs a new rear tire and rear signals so I'm thinking about trying to get maybe a 100/200 bucks cash on his end.

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
i've spent a bit of time on sumos on carting tracks. they are a RIOT. would do that trade in a second if one came up.
the downside is the infinite amount of suck that bike will be on the highway or long trip. if that's a compromise you're willing to make, go for it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've spent a bit of time on sumos on carting tracks. they are a RIOT. would do that trade in a second if one came up.
the downside is the infinite amount of suck that bike will be on the highway or long trip. if that's a compromise you're willing to make, go for it.
That's kinda the reason why I'm hesitant about buying it. I love touring around on my sv and have it all set up with goodies.
Being that it's a 640, it sounds like it'll have no problem keeping up on the highway it's just the seat comfort that will suck.

Another thing that I'm worried about is the maitnence. I've heard ktms are hit or miss as far as maintaining them goes.

This thing at DCTC would be sick!

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming :)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My friend had a similar ktm a few years ago but I don't remember the model... What I do remember is that it was a single cylinder engine that would vibrate your nuts off. My butt was numb after a ten minute ride. It was tall, slender and had lots of torque but the vibration and inability to tour on it would be a deal breaker for me.
Maybe trade bikes and go for a ride together before you decide.
- In the picture, it looks like the left side of the fender doesn't line up with the plastic under the seat ... I has it been crashed?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe trade bikes and go for a ride together before you decide.
- In the picture, it looks like the left side of the fender doesn't line up with the plastic under the seat ... I has it been crashed?
Well duh! It's a super Moto :p

Yep that's the plan though. That way we can be sure were both happy. I've never really ridden super motos before short of taking a wr250 around a parking lot, so I'm interested to see if I like it.

I like that he's on our local forum too so he's not just another Craigslist idiot trying to rip someone off. Definitely a plus.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This strikes me as a real apples and oranges thing, I just think a supermoto is a very narrow focus bike. Great on a go-kart track? You bet, I've seen them race, but the course was all turns with 50-100 foot straightaways, not exactly your every day roads.

I think trading for a while is a great idea, but on anything other than a tight, twisty road, the sm will be a real chore compared to your versatile SV. As suggested, would probably be a fun second bike. Just MHO.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I rode a DR supermoto every day to work, witch was 50 miles each way.

ittttt SUCKS.

fun to romp around town? Hell yeah, little pull and add throttle to do wheelies everywhere round town, quick and nimble, but for the long haul its not to fantastic.

every little bit of wind is trying to knock the featherweight bike and with how tall it is , might as well be a boat sail. and nothing on it is designed for comfort.

so just be aware you wont be making long trips.

I was very happy after taking my sv650 450 miles home after riding the DR for a year.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't want to derail the thread but what belly pan is that? Been looking at the one from twinshack but its pretty far to ship from the UK.
Not sure, it came with the bike. Tell you what, I'll sell it to you for 3500 and I'll include a 2003 sv1000s with it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Realistically, as nice as it is to have a "sport touring" bike, I rarely ever actually tour on it. I'll do the occasional 2/300 mile days but for the most part, my rides consist of 75/100 mile rides around the cities with my guys. Some of them are on wr250's so I know for a fact it will be possible to do.

Maybe I could do some work and mod the seat up to make it more comfy.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Get the sumo, become a platinum member of ZARS, rock out with me at DCTC all next season. :rock:

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
its not just the seat, its everything. Complete lack of wind protection, vibes that numb your hands and feet within an hour, small gas tank and limited range, lack of passing power at freeway speeds, etc. I rode my wr250x on a 2000 mile road trip this year, when I got back I sold it and bought a superduke.

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
its not just the seat, its everything. Complete lack of wind protection, vibes that numb your hands and feet within an hour, small gas tank and limited range, lack of passing power at freeway speeds, etc. I rode my wr250x on a 2000 mile road trip this year, when I got back I sold it and bought a superduke.
the 640 is a bit more bike than the wr though...

·
Registered
125 Posts
That model vibrates like a paint shaker.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
When I first read the OP...I heard someone say 'Are you out of your freakin' mind?' Looking around....and quickly realizing that I'm sitting here alone...it must have been me.:)

Seriously man. Where are your friends to grab you and do the 'grab lapels and slaps across face' screaming 'SNAP out of IT!' Sure, it looks like a bunch of fun in a weird sort of way. I've had those impulses myself now and then. But there IS a reason the guy is jumping at the suggestion.....he's getting rid of the nut-shaker and getting a great motorcycle.:)

Of course.....this is just someone on the 'Net you don't even know. But you are trading a real motorcycle for a bike. But...whatever makes you happy. Just please make sure the fellow is SV worthy before doing the trade. Looks like he might be one of those scooter tramps who will rape the SV. That would be sad.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
talk to jeopardy98. We just did a track day yesterday on his DRZ440. He has that and an SV, so the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The wr and the 640 are two completely different bikes. There's a lot better range and power on the 640 than the wr.

I also have a cruiser at home though so that will be my bike for the girlfriend to use (no 2 up anymore), my distance bike and my bike it the Ktm
Breaks/something goes wrong.

Chris:
I'm going To try and make the zars appreciation day, hope to see you there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts