Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at selling the SV650s(2004) for CBR1000RR (2005) never looked at a bike like this before.. I was more considering a gsxr 750 but this came up in my local area for $2500.. never dropped never raced one owner 21k on it.. seems to good to be true..
Resone
I want more power! most of my buddies are on 1L bikes not race.. but 1L.. and I like the track! the SV does great on the track but do you think this will be as good? or better?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Honestly why do you need more power? Are you finding the need for triple digits on the street to chase down your buddies? If you are, you are riding way too fast for the street anyway. The SV is a great track bike! If you like the track stick with the SV, the 1k will be insane on a track for someone used to a SV.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
More power only matters for accelerating on the hwy and for high speed passes. And, if you don't like to shift. Imo, it matters for nothing in the twisties if you know how to ride and maintain your speed in the corners. Long straights in between the corners is another matter, but then you are now racing from corner to corner and should be on a track.

I love ads that say never raced or ridden gently. You can still bang the rev limiter and pop wheelies all day long and consider that the bike was never raced or ridden on a track. I'm looking at a Speed Triple that the seller states was ridden gently. Who buys a Speed or liter bike to ride gently?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
For me it's more about the engine. You can change the ergos of any cycle to be what you want, but the engine is a big factor in the drivability of the bike. The difference b/t a V-twin and an I4 engine is well documented on this site, and it seems widely known that the V-twin power is easier to manage more usable than the I4 power. Anyway, I hope to have an I4 bike someday soon for a different riding experience compared to my SV. Then I'd have two bikes!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Are you sure it's a legit sell? Around here 2004 CBR600RR's can still go for $3500 with that kind of mileage, and the 1000's are definitely more. I would think that with the regulations in Canada the 1K would be even more still, but maybe it's less because the market for liter bikes is hamstrung by the insurance cost?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya insurance is double.. and I've been licenced for over 20 years.. new riders the insurance is insane uphere!! ~3500-4500 / year for a bike like this.. so it makes the old one go a little cheaper.. I will check the s/n and make sure it's all legit.. sounds good.. I read some reviews and really liked what they said. it's slowest of 1L bikes.. but the most managable power of them as well, reviewer said it felt alot like his 600, but track times were way faster.. I think I'll go for it!

So what's a 2004 SV650s with 60K km on it worth? mint shape!! I just ordered power pures for it as I had panned more track time..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya no reply from the guy.. looked him up.. nothing under his name.. nothing under his email.. phone number is always busy.. I'm thinking fake ad!! sucks

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
More power only matters for accelerating on the hwy and for high speed passes. And, if you don't like to shift. Imo, it matters for nothing in the twisties if you know how to ride and maintain your speed in the corners. Long straights in between the corners is another matter, but then you are now racing from corner to corner and should be on a track.

I love ads that say never raced or ridden gently. You can still bang the rev limiter and pop wheelies all day long and consider that the bike was never raced or ridden on a track. I'm looking at a Speed Triple that the seller states was ridden gently. Who buys a Speed or liter bike to ride gently?
I actually know a couple people in their 50's and 60's that have SS bikes and really do ride them gently. Of course this is 1 out of 1000 or so.

The bikes were meant to be ripped a little bit. Wheelies on the other hand can prematurely damage fork seals, bent forks, wheels, mess up tires, etc etc.

The used bike market is hard to judge. I bought my SV from a guy in his 50's and it WAS super clean. Even though I hated the yellow, the bike was just too clean. Unfortunately I haven't washed it myself this year other than the start of the season.

Maintenance is spot on, just doesn't look all that clean.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Careful lol, I'm 59 and don't ride gently. I don't abuse my bikes, try to ride smoothly and all, but there is no point in owning a powerful bike or car unless you let the ponies out once and a while. If you ride a liter bike with 160-190HP at normal legal speeds, you are maybe only using 25-35%(guessing) of the available power. That's a lot of engineering and money to be wasting. My old Triumph "only" makes 128HP and 75lbs, but it's quite enough for the street. It might be fun to own a modern liter bike be it I4 or Vtwin, but requires a lot of restraint of your throttle hand and is less forgiving as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I say keep the SV. Save for the next one. Just my opinion.

And yeah, need more power, yeah! I'm right there with ya. I'm dreaming of an R1 eventually. Problem is a track can only contain so much of that power (unless you're like, hella good). That's what the SV is for.

You get fun one way or another. I wouldn't want to trade. Not one bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts