Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 00 SV650 and I was considering trading it for a supermoto.

I got a even up offer for a 2004 KLR 250 F converted to SM with a lot of sick mod's acerbis cyclops head light,led turns, after market pipes,black rims, looks pretty sick... I have never ridden one but I have owned dirt bikes in the past.

How are these things, worth giving up a SV650?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
250s are fine if you're talking about a wr250x. KLR250s are not. I'd totally trade for a supermoto but not a KLR. Considering a 2000 1st gen is worth a measly 2000$ these days, there isnt anything "nice" you can straight up trade in the supermoto world.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bike just hit 1,000 miles and I got a lot of mod's but still I know it's not worth more then like $3,000 ish...

I figure the top speed of a 250 is like 60-65mph

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Don't take the KLR unless you get a chance to ride it first. I've got a KLX 300R (more offroad focused, more HP, lighter, 6speed vs 5speed tranny) that I thought for about adding 17's to...that lasted about 5 min until I came to my senses.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Your 00 just hit 1,000 miles?

Do not trade it. You got riding to do.
I'm with artic 1k on a 2000! You have got to be kidding! For the sweet love of jebus go ride that thing before you anger the motorcycle gods! :fiddy::fiddy::fiddy::fiddy::fiddy::fiddy:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked it up with 343 miles unmolested last November and haven't had much time to ride this year.

I added a lot of crap to it over the winter...

I just love the look for the SM bikes but my wife won't let me own 2 bikes :(

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=96505

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think the 250 would be great as a second bike, or if you lived it an ultra urban area and never ventured outside of it. But if you can only have one bike I also vote for the SV. Especially with some of the other "better" supermotos out there (DRZ400SM, KTMs, Huskys, etc.)

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you can only have one bike keep the SV. The KLR will get tiresome rather quickly, especially coming from the SV. I know from experience, I have a XR-250L. But it all depends on how you're planning on using the bike, If it's only for short local trips and your not going to pack on the miles, then maybe.

·
Registered
286 Posts
OK, Listen to me, unless you are going to put that supermoto on the track. Do not do it. I just came off of a DRZ and in my opinion, a SM is not a street bike. You will miss everything about your bike. They are quick and and do handle well, but they just don't feel right. I think if you have a chance to ride one you will know instantly what I am talking about.

My opinion is this, keep your bike. I've been there. I'm so happy I got out... And ahead of the game.

Chet

·
Registered
606 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I too have considered to do the same, but then I stop and realize that the SV is so much more versatile.

Instead I am looking for an older (cheap) Dual Sport.

Maybe you can borrow or rent one to try out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
SuperMoto's are dope they are fun as hell on the track or in tight twisties but I would recommend a 450 or above. As for normal street machines I love my SV and the SV rocks on the track as well

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is the bike that was offered even up trade for my SV....I doubt I will do it due to the fact everyone on here as well as my friends tell me to keep the SV I won't be happy with the SM bike...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts