Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in a tracksuit, to replace my A* jacket and Tour Master mesh pants for my dedicated weekday morning (street) rides around the farmland my way. Also, Summit Point Raceway isn't far away, I'd like to try that if I can get away from work.

Anyway, friend of mine had a one piece Spidi size 42 he let go for $270. (Actually he wanted to give it to me!) Hes had it for over a year, so I figure it is broken in. I wore it for the first time on the bike yesterday, and can't help but get that straight-jacket feeling around my shoulders. Note, I'm 6' 2", 160lbs. Thing is, the cut is perfect for my arms, calves, thighs, stomach, and chest. My torso is about 2-4" too long and shoulders are about 2-4" too wide for the suit.

I know the fitment is supposed to be tight, do any of you guys have the same issue? I worry that if I buy a 44 it will be a bit baggier around my limbs and chest.

Since my bike has the handlebars, that has my arms more apart, and my torso more upright, that may be the problem. Maybe I should take ride a sportier setup and see if it feels more natural.

·
Registered
828 Posts
problem with off the rack suits is that they are sized porpotionally. so you'll be hard pressed to find one that fits you JUST RIGHT. its actually probably just right height wise. 1pc suits are made to fit you when your on the bike, not standing up. If you can zip it up and still breathe, you should be fine. I cannot stand straight up in my 1 pc. you probably just need time to get adjusted to the feel of it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Try taking a shower in it (minus the soap, of course :p) then going for a ride until it's mostly dry. I realize you said it's already broken in, but it couldn't hurt to try

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try taking a shower in it (minus the soap, of course :p) then going for a ride until it's mostly dry. I realize you said it's already broken in, but it couldn't hurt to try

Hmm, sounds like a good idea...newb question, but does hot or cold make a difference? Also, I thought getting leather wet make it age faster.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i had a suit that fit tight for a couple of years, because that's what everybody told me to do. this winter i bought a size bigger and am amazingly more comfortable and more able to move around on the bike. Get something comfortable that fits. a 44 that you need to have the arms/legs shortened on is going to be cheaper than a 42 you have to somehow make wider/taller.

www.spartanleathers.com does custom suits in the $400 range i believe...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the recommendation and showered w/ warm water wearing the suit. Seems to have loosened up a smidge.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm the same size as the OP and tried a 42 and had the same feeling. It's like your forced to be hunched over all the time. I gave up and went to a 44. The difference was amazing. Yes the arms and body had some slack but for me that's good as it's often cold up here so I can fit an extra layer no problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm the same size as the OP and tried a 42 and had the same feeling. It's like your forced to be hunched over all the time. I gave up and went to a 44. The difference was amazing. Yes the arms and body had some slack but for me that's good as it's often cold up here so I can fit an extra layer no problem.
Everybody is different, but I can't imagine 6'2 160 would require a 44. I was wearing a 42 suit up until I was about 185 lbs (i'm wearing a 44 now that i'm 200 lbs). With a back protector.

That hunched over feeling is what happens in a well fitting suit. It might not work well with a more upright bike, meaning you have to go custom if you can't live with the feeling--but it's better than the alternative: loose suits = injury.

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 on the loose fit being more prone to injury. At the very least, you'll get some rash marks as the leather moves around on impact.

Check out how the racers move with suits on. They are all hunched over. I know my current suit doesn't allow me to stand straight up. It's a little big in the midsection, but I had to get something that allows me to fit my back and chest protectors. I'm 6'0", 178 lbs and wear a Euro 54 Dainese.

Also, make sure to wear some sort of suit liner. It makes a huge different in fit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, standing straight up in my suit (which i consider to fit me perfectly) is very painful on the twins, haha.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, make sure to wear some sort of suit liner. It makes a huge different in fit.

I agree. I'm just wearing a basic runner/cycling pants and shirt and it really keeps the inside of the suit from sticking, which allows me to move quite a bit better on the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts