Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here been to any of the trackdays at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix?

Are trackdays there, or anywhere else, well organized or an open track, 10 riders or 200 riders, very little track time or hours of track time?  They have one this weekend and I almost signed up but will go and check it out first and maybe sign up for the next one. I've been to hundreds of motocross practices but just started riding street 2 months ago and want to eventually race but not sure if I'm ready for fast turns yet  .

·
Registered
170 Posts
The 22nd will be my third session with AZ Track Days at Firebird.  I've never been to any other track days.  They have 4 different groups: 1) beginner, 2) super sport, 3) intermediate, and 4) advanced.  I think all first timers must enroll in the beginner group, but you can ride in the super sport group if you want.  You just tell the organizers that you want to ride in the super sport group and they move you up.  In the beginner group, you cannot pass in the corners.  In the super sport and higher groups, you can pass anywhere on the track.  I register for the half day sessions.  You get to ride four, 15 minute sessions for each half day.  As you can probably guess, alll riders in the beginner group ride for 15 minutes, then the super sport group rides, then intermediate, etc.  Last month, I rode in the super sport group and I think there were about 15 other riders in the group.  I really don't remember.  Either way, the track was not crowded in my group.  The first time I went, I was in the beginner group.  Again, I don't recall how many riders were in the group, but there was plenty of room on the track.  It is pretty well organized in my opinion, but then again, I've never been to any other track day so I don't have anything to compare.  You get there in the morning, go through bike check, then the riders meeting.  Then the sessions begin.  They have onsite medical staff in case someone gets hurt.  Last month, a rider broke his leg and they had a helicoptor fly onto the track and fly him away to the closest hospital.  They also have an on site vendor (Adrenaline Motorsports) in case you crash to help put your bike back together and make it for the next session.  My first track day, I low sided, breaking off my shift peg.  Adrenaline was able to put on a different one for me in time for my next session.  Really cool and helpful guys.  The organizer also has free leathers if you don't have your own but I think sizes are limited.  They have a food truck on site so you can buy food and drinks.  I enjoy it and will be there for the 22nd. I think you can sign up at the actual event, but space is limited, so if enough people register online and fill up all the sapce, you're screwed. I guess this helps keeps the track uncrowded.  We get to ride on the Bondurant track this time because the West track got double booked.  If you make it, I'm on a yellow SVS, 1st gen.  Just look for the scratches on my fairings on the left side; they um...make me faster. 

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info. I might goto the trackdays on the 22nd.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did you make it to the track day? I was there for the morning session. First ride was COLD.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted to go, but couldn't make it. I read the offer today from aztrackdays about the free 1/2 day for people that bought new bikes in the last 3 months, so I will be signing up for a trackday, either feb 12th or Mar 5th.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I parked it by the grandstand. I stopped by to check out the trackday before signing up and getting hooked. I'm pretty sure I could keep up with the beginner group. It looks like a blast. ;D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mikrace - not to diss AzTrackday, but I think you get more tracktime and a more relaxed environment with aztracktime. There are three groups instead of 4, and 20 minute sessions as opposed to 15. However, aztrackday does have more vendors and usually some food available. You'll have fun either way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mizatt...I am planning to sign up for the AZ Track Time on the first weekend of Feb.  I noticed that they require you to replace your ethylene glycol based coolant with Engine Ice or some other alternatvie.  Do they check and enforce this rule?  Why do they even ask this?  What's the difference (besides the ingredients)?  How does it effect your bike and it's performance?  I'm pretty new to riding so I don't really understand the difference.  Thx!

Nevermind...just did a search and found the answer I was looking for as far as why they ask for coolant that is not ethylene glycol based.

·
Registered
44 Posts
-hchou-

I have done 3 of Track Time's trackdays and they have only 'asked' me one time. They simply just ask what you are running.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Any motorcycle riding on a racetrack should not be running standard coolant.  The reason is simple.  If you leak any out, it becomes slick and does not clean off the track easily.   This creates a huge problem for everyone else.  The 10 minutes it should take to replace your coolant could make a huge difference for everyone.  Here in AZ, freezing is not much of an issue so you really don't need a true anti-freeze coolant.  Running plain water, water with water wetter by redline or an acceptable solution like Engine Ice is a much better way to go. 

I am an instructor for AZ Trackday and also on an SV650.  I know I spoke to a couple of other guys riding SV's during the Bondurant track day, but feel free to come by ask as many questions as you have about your SV on the track.  The SV is an ideal bike for most of our short tracks, the only one you really could use a little more power is at Firebird Main since it has a 5/8 mile straightaway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts