Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a trackday at PIR in Portland yesterday.  It was a perfect day, about 85 degrees and only about 45 people total.  A group of riders rented the track and did an invite only day so it was low key but still run safe and organized.  I did about 180 track miles and my pilot powers held up pretty good.  they had about 3k miles on them going into the day so I didn't really know if I'd be getting a new set trackside after the first few sessions but they held up pretty good.  I was able to move the rear around a bit on the brakes and push the front a bit going in as well as the front getting vague a few times coming out but I'd equate that more to my suspension rather than the tire.

I just put on a new set of EBC HH pads (second set) and forgot how good they feel new rather than with about 1mm of material left!  

Only made one real mistake that made me slightly go into "stop riding mode" going into a kind of tricky left that has a concrete patch a few feet out from the apex so you want to make sure that you are inside it and a pretty high curb on the inside.  I was going a bit quicker than normal and wanted to compensate by braking a bit longer and turning a bit harder to make sure I hit the apex.  Well I over did each one so I heading very quick toward the inside curb.  Instead of just picking up the throttle to stop my lean, like usual, I "stopped riding" for a sec and let the bike do it's thing, which was contine to fall into the corner.  My tire was on the line and then my peg and shift lever began to grind the curb.  I knew I HAD to get on the gas to get the bike up and through the corner but my brain wouldn't let me for a second.  In retrospect I think I might have actually braked and steered the correct amount for my speed but just missed my mark for getting back on the gas.

usually you are trying to tell youself to lean, lean, lean when you are faster than usual, but this time had a survival reaction kick in in a part of a corner that I've never experienced.  It ended up being a good experience cause I worked on exactly where I was getting on the gas, and was able to pick up some time and more consistently hit the apex right on.

here are a few pics from our local photo uber expert at tranquilvelocity.com

1/2 second later

going into the left.  you can see the concrete where I'm heading right down toward the apex

The plight of an SVRider!  Same lefter hander getting hung up behind the "fast guys  ::) :mad:  "I do 170mph down the straight man I'm good!"  :-\

one last sv photo...no comment  :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Nice pics! What type of rearsets are you using. Are you on stock stuff or aftermarket?

·
Registered
80 Posts
nice. that looks like so much fun. i want to do that but i know i'm not ready because this is only my first season for riding a street bike.

regarding the cow guy, i could never do anything like that to my bike. i guess some people have different tastes.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
looks like you were doing pretty well... my girlfriend better not see that cow SV... she loves cows and probably would want me to paint mine like that.... not happening lol

·
Registered
285 Posts
punkjumper, you really getting that girl leaned over!!

You riding with stock rearsets?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
it's amazing what you can do with stock rearsets. but eventually you will run out of clearance and the rearsets will become the limiting factor. you can do a lot with the stock grocery-getter suspension too, if you're willing to work hard and take every corner and bump with all your weight on your ankles so the suspension doesn't have to do much.

a stock SV is good motivation to ride with good technique. :) it wasn't that many decades ago that the SV suspension would have been close to state of the art-- and people raced GP motorcycles then.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
punkjumper said:
....it gets better....it's fur, not paint
haha... sounds like a stunt moo-bile now... I hope they don't ride in the rain... bike would probably be about 10-20 lbs heavier once soaked... and oh what fun it would be to clean

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ridesideways said:
it's amazing what you can do with stock rearsets. but eventually you will run out of clearance and the rearsets will become the limiting factor. you can do a lot with the stock grocery-getter suspension too, if you're willing to work hard and take every corner and bump with all your weight on your ankles so the suspension doesn't have to do much.
I have done a bit of work on the suspension. .90 springs and 25w oil IIRC got a 636 shock on the rear.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it got intimate with pavement this winter in a lowside, notice my stylish shorty lever? :D put on a new bar and modded the brake pedal and bought all new gear....just haven't fixed the signal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts