Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming up on a track day soon and im looking for some advice on tire selection. Track will be VIR north. I have the gsxr 750 fork swap and 1k rear shock, I weigh 145lbs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not the best or the worst. I'll be in the beginners class at first, but my friend that coaches said I will be in the intermediate class by the end of the day.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Until you get faster than mid-Intermediate pace, stick with a street tire. They are still plenty grippy and will last longer than DOT's. I did 6 trackdays and 4k street miles on the same Pilot Power rear. A Pilot Powers or PP 2CT, Pilot Pures, or Q2's would be my recommendation. Once the tires that came on my 1098 are done, I will be running Pilot Pures. I'm about 5-8 seconds from moving to Advanced at most tracks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Coming up on a track day soon and im looking for some advice on tire selection. Track will be VIR north. I have the gsxr 750 fork swap and 1k rear shock, I weigh 145lbs.

Thanks in advance.
I would ask if all your suspension and springs are all spec'd and/or tuned to your weight. If not get the cheapest tire your feel comfortable runing with, save for good tire when you have your suspension done.

A set of typical Q2 will work just fine. Just remeber you can't win trackday, just concentrate on the riding would be key. A set of really good and expensive tires will not suddently turn anyone into Rossi.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Until you get faster than mid-Intermediate pace, stick with a street tire. They are still plenty grippy and will last longer than DOT's. I did 6 trackdays and 4k street miles on the same Pilot Power rear. A Pilot Powers or PP 2CT, Pilot Pures, or Q2's would be my recommendation. Once the tires that came on my 1098 are done, I will be running Pilot Pures. I'm about 5-8 seconds from moving to Advanced at most tracks.
Im lucky if i get 3-4k out of a rear on the street and i run O16's, and S20's mostly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would ask if all your suspension and springs are all spec'd and/or tuned to your weight. If not get the cheapest tire your feel comfortable runing with, save for good tire when you have your suspension done.

A set of typical Q2 will work just fine. Just remeber you can't win trackday, just concentrate on the riding would be key. A set of really good and expensive tires will not suddently turn anyone into Rossi.
My bike is setup for my weight, but could use a little adjusting im sure. I'm not trying to be Rossi just be safe and learn. I want to increase my corner speed and get better body position. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Words to live, and learn by.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Absolutely any agressive street or track day oriented tire will do you just fine. Pick whatever is most easily attainable. Trackside support is extremely helpful so if you have any trackside vendors, use them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I rode on Michelin Pilot Powers (the original composition) well into intermediate with no problem.

Look into the Dunlop 211s when you start doing consistent high intermediate to advanced pace.

If you have trackside support, they should be able to recommend the tire commensurate with your skill level.

Trust me you'll know it when you start to out ride your tires and need to step up to an actual race tire. Before then it may be a waste of $$ to pay more for a race tire. And I hate to waste $$. ;D

Good luck! VIR is an excellent track. :rock:

With what track organization are you riding?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
S20's it is then. Been really happy with them on the street thus far. Loads of grip, good turn in, and front end response.

I'm looking forward to it. I live in Western NC so I'm in motorcycle road heaven, and I have some really good friends that help me out a lot that race, teach, and build bikes so im hoping this will help increase my own abilities even more.

Thanks everyone for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts