Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s time for new pads on my track day bike. I changed the front master cylinder with a GSXR 750 one and galpher lines. The calipers and rotors are still stock. This bike will not see the street again in my hands. I ride mostly in the beginner groups. My focus is getting my braking game up a level this year. What would you guys suggest for pads?

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I don't know what the really fast guys are running, but I had a big increase in braking power going with Galfer HH pads.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am realistic in my ability. From what I understand full race pads need to be real hot
to work well. I’m afraid I won’t get them hot enough. I want more than stock pads that still have good feel. Thanks chicken for the quick response.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You might want to go with a better MC, the gsxr's are known for not having great MC's. O swapped mine out to a brembo rsc19 on my 750, and acossato 19x18 on my 600. My sv came with an acossato 19x18 also. I ran Vesrah rjl pads on my gsxr 600, will be running those on my sv too. Kurvey girl seems to have the best price on them SV-650(s) (99-09)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 SV650
11 Posts
Haven't tried the Galfers but the EBC HH pads work great. I have SV front calipers on my old Honda race bike and run them on both (SV and Honda).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s all I need to hear. I will order them up today. Next track day is 4-10 at Nc bike. Will let you guys know how they do. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That’s all I need to hear. I will order them up today. Next track day is 4-10 at Nc bike. Will let you guys know how they do. Thanks for the input.
+1 on the Vesrah RJL’s. You do need to get them warm to make them work as with any good performance pad, but as long as you’re running decent times on the track you’ll be fine.

·
very big dumb
8,809 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got the galfer HH pads on yesterday and they make a huge difference. Took it easy at first to let them seat and then ran it up to about 120ish and jumped all over them and was very happy with the results. I will be at the track this weekend to give them a true shake down. Let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just from my goofing around on the road it did not take a lot to get them hot. Don’t know exactly how long it took. Seems like within the time it takes to get the tires sticky they will be up to temp as well. I will find out Saturday. I always take a lap or two warm up before I start to push anyway.

·
very big dumb
8,809 Posts
To be clear, the "cold" rating is 200-400 degrees F, per the article linked, which is far from a true, first application of the brakes after pulling out of the garage "cold".
most of us tend to not do threshold braking in the neigborhood though... so they'll get to their 250 or whatever long before you "need" them

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
most of us tend to not do threshold braking in the neighborhood though... so they'll get to their 250 or whatever long before you "need" them
I was unclear, I meant for street riding, not the trackside garage/pits. Now I'm curious what my brake temps would be, say, exiting the highway and coming to a stop. Gotta grab the temp gun from my toolbox tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts