Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Thanks for sharing that... I'd wondered what a difference an SV would make out there. I'm suprised you don't grab a gear between T2 and T3, but amazed you're not shifting over the hill... On my BC350 I need to grab one shift in the turn and one more just before the crest.
Were you there for Penguin school? That'd explain the Duck...

·
Registered
597 Posts
George, that was Tony's Track Day this past Tuesday. There was a large organized group of Ducs there, and they did most of the crashing as well. You should come out for one with the SV. How's the vintage racing going on the Honda?
I'm in the same gear from T1 through the braking zone for T3, downshift into T3, and grab an upshift in T5. Marc shifts less than I do and goes much faster, it's annoying :)

Marc, it was good ridng with you, Clay, and Ken, and thanks for the video attempts. We'll work the timing out better at the next one.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Marc said:
That's a Duc 900S that scoots by me in the beginning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzMWd_SEqt8
Neat video,

Hard to tell, cause I'm not drivin, but I can hear you crack the gas open just as you cross over the seam at 4, but seems you might be able to power up the hill to five a little more strongly--Most people just don't open it up early enough--I passed a couple RC51's up the hill on 5 because I'd get on it early and harder than they would--never had a problem with the tire breaking away there and you can drift wider at 5 --lots of real estate left over if you lift it up early.

Into 6 the 900 had a nice line --he stays just to the left of center rather than starting wide. This makes a late apex on six which lends to keeping corner speed until the end of six and you don't waste realestate by heading into six from wide out on the entrance. Plus you end up on the inside of a lot of people and keep a tight line on the late apex rather than a big loopy turn.

BTW the 900 has a funky line into turn one--way too inside. No reason not to stay on the brakes later and with a wider line (like you did) maintain your speed into turn one--there's so much room there if you F up you have lots of runoff. His inside line and early turn in means he has to drop his entrance speed lest he run really wide and boot someone off the track if he gets in too hot.

Looks like a lot of fun.

The other thiing I like is keeping a tight line on ten while keeping my speed up--lots of room to run wide there the key is to maintain your speed--if you try to round it off or apex early you have to go slower and it kills your momentum and your entrance speed into 11 (good place to pass a lot of people if you keep your speed from 10).

My favorite place to pass people is up the hill (4 to 5) by getting on it early and soaking up the bump over hte seam...lots of fun. I never really had a good turn 6--I know lots of people who did it better--maybe it's my aversion to coming downhill into that big left hander I don't know.

I got 9 down after the first 3 sessions and really was able to carry it well (apex and kind of double it/drift wide into 10 and drif wide past 10 keeping my speed up.

Very fun track...

Looks like you ride it well.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
brady said:
  You should come out for one with the SV. How's the vintage racing going on the Honda?

One more all-street season on the SV and then it starts getting track sessions. For now I still need to learn the Honda better. We have a HUGE gap in vintage racing between Bike Week and Labor Day, so it'd be nice to get an SV day in there. I'm pretty slow on the Honda... I still have lots to learn and the bike isn't that competitive, either. I need lots more track time+vacation days+income.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Dobber said:
I've been checking out Tony's Trackdays website lately. I'm very tempted to sign up for one.

Was it worth the cash.ola?
It's worth every penny, even more if you take advantage of the one on one instruction offered every session in the afternoon. I've made it a priority over other things I used to spend fun money on, and have done 5 or 6 days since my first one last June. There are always at least a few SV's in each of the three groups.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
That track looks scary. Wonderjosh doesn't like walls and armco. Run off looks to be in short supply as well. :-[

Makes me love my local track that much more.  :-*

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Don't forget the cement barrier at 10 and the trees straight ahead on 8 and lining the right hand side of the track from 7 to 8...

There's reasons AMA doesn't race there...still a cool track.

·
Registered
597 Posts
ridesideways said:
what kind of tires does your wife have on her bike?
He put some nice shoes on his wife's bike, Pirelli Super Corsa Sticky Demons (or something like that :) ); stickier than my Metzeler Z6's in any case.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found another video of the SV vs the Ducati. The first try I ran too hot into T1 and went wide.  :eek: He realized something was up and picked up the pace nicely.  8) The Duc has more grunt than the SV but he has to learn to stop it quicker. I screwed up the audio when I plugged the mic into the av jack ::)

Brady is right, used Super Corsas, Vortex rearsets, stock motor and exhaust, 636 shock and emulators.

Got a little headshake when the wheel came off the ground coming out of bowl and flipping it back to the right

The Duc owner came over to see me later on and was all smiles ;D He just could not understand how the hell a $5000 650cc bike could pass him on a straight-a-way. ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjlUvep888

1 - 15 of 15 Posts