Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i adjust my tps according to the thread here. followed it exactly and didnt notice any diff. i downloaded the shop manual after doing this and there is a vauge explanation of this process but it reads much different. what gives? also i havent been able to find the throttle body sync. and another ?, is there a way to adjust throttle slack. i have about 1/8" slack it real annoying. will the r6 tube remove this slack. and is it recommended to re-map after the tre mod.

·
Registered
98 Posts
To properly do the throttle body sync, you need the airflow tool, which is very hard to find and costs more than it should.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Adjusting the slack out of your throttle cable is easy. It tightens up at the space where the two cables bulge...right there by the controls. Just pull the rubber back, get a couple of wrenches and tighten the slack out.
takes two minutes.
I am at work, or else I would post a pic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did the TPS adjustment and my bike ran poorly afterwards. I returned to the stock setting and it ran fine. I spent a couple of days toying with it because most riders say it improves their low end throttle rexponse, but for me, it truly wasn't worth the effort. A few others here have noted the decrease in low end performance after adjustment too, so use your own judgement. You can make a throttle sync tool with a yardstick and some clear tubing filled with tranny fluid. Search and ye shall find.

·
Registered
179 Posts
+1, perhaps the idle needed to be turned up?

I thought it should only affect the way it runs after you touch the throttle. It should make it go "Vroom" a little sooner.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
This was one of the first mods (okay, adjustment) I did. This, along with making my chain tension correct (it was loose) made a HUGE difference in how smooth the bike was at low speeds. I have no idea what it did for the bikes "performance", but it did what I wanted it to do -- took away some of the "whippiness" and on/off response when tootling along at parking lot speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
This was one of the first mods (okay, adjustment) I did. This, along with making my chain tension correct (it was loose) made a HUGE difference in how smooth the bike was at low speeds. I have no idea what it did for the bikes "performance", but it did what I wanted it to do -- took away some of the "whippiness" and on/off response when tootling along at parking lot speeds.
+1, perhaps the idle needed to be turned up?

I thought it should only affect the way it runs after you touch the throttle. It should make it go "Vroom" a little sooner.

it does nothing for your "performance", but some of you must not have done it correctly. I did it to mine and it's a big improvement. and you have to ride it not just listen to it

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the help guys. everyone has there own opinion and i like that. i really didnt notice any diff. with the tps adjust. i realize it a maint. thing and not a mod. i just found the post here to differ from the manual( which i finally finished printing off). by the way slimesbro what kinda shock you runnin.....

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
thanks for the help guys. everyone has there own opinion and i like that. i really didnt notice any diff. with the tps adjust. i realize it a maint. thing and not a mod. i just found the post here to differ from the manual( which i finally finished printing off). by the way slimesbro what kinda shock you runnin.....
stock, I hope to swap to a zx10 or Öhlins if my numbers hit

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you may want to go to zx14 for the 2 up load of that passenger of yours

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my bad dude i had no idea

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
If you have throttle slack adjust the pull open and pull close cables up at the handlebars... they should be just about where the brake fluid resevoir is under some rubber boots you pull back... just make sure you don't overadjust it... you want the throttle closing completely...

I adjusted mine, but I had to play around with it a bit to get it to fully close the throttle... I noticed when I leaned forward on the grip at stop lights it would drop a couple hundred RPM... now it is in the sweet spot..

With the TPS adjustment, I made sure my throttle was adjusted before I did the TPS adjustment... but still, I didn't notice a huge difference on my bike either but mine wasn't too grossly out of spec and my RPM is usually over 2000 when I am driving around parking lots and such...
... I couldn't get it to stay at anything less than 2000-1800 as it creeps up as I tighten the sensor bolts... but it is close enough for me it was in the low 3000's before adjustment.

You say you didn't notice a difference? How low did you get it to kick in at...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts