Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Way to put the showboating HD riders in their place! Personally for a long touring trip I'd rather be on a Goldwing or a Beemer.... but so far the SV hasn't let me down either. Actually The only long trip I've gone on that wasn't solo was with a friend on a honda shadow 750 and we both enjoyed maintenance free riding the whole time.

I'm doing a Michigan - Northern California route this summer on the sv650 and I'm hoping to enjoy even more maintenance free riding (except of course topping off fluids, playing with the chain, and changing the oil halfway!)

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
ENVY ENVY

I have an ambition to ride the whole Route66 on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Nice ride report. I especially like the part about the Harley exhibit being broken. Apropos, that!

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I got into bikes I thought maybe the HD unreliability thing I kept hearing was just ignorant bias, but it sounds like there's definitely some truth to it. I didn't count, but did any of the HDs *not* have problems during your trip? ;D

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I am planning riding an Iron Butt "Saddle Sore" 1000 mile in 24 hours or maybe a "Butt Burner" 1500 mile in 36 hours later this year to celebrate my 50th Birthday and my wife suggested I ask my nephew (HD something or other) go with me. I told her no friggin' way for 3 reasons:

1. To him 100 and at a stretch, 200 miles in a day is a huge haul,

2. I know my SV will not have a problem and am pretty skeptical about his HD, and

3. By myself I can stop where and for how long I want

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't count, but did any of the HDs *not* have problems during your trip? ;D
All of them had a problem ...2 had intake manifolds replaced, 1 had the oil overfill problem (not HD fault though) 1 overheated and stalled in the Vegas stopped traffic, this could have happened to any air cooled bike though, I guess.

SV...ZERO problems, none, zip, nada!

·
Registered
285 Posts
1. To him 100 and at a stretch, 200 miles in a day is a huge haul,
Yikes. Earlier this season (only my 2nd on a motorcycle) I rode a 200 mile day ride and didn't even stop to eat. (just once for gas, and once to enjoy scenery)

·
Registered
285 Posts
All of them had a problem ...2 had intake manifolds replaced, 1 had the oil overfill problem (not HD fault though) 1 overheated and stalled in the Vegas stopped traffic, this could have happened to any air cooled bike though, I guess.

SV...ZERO problems, none, zip, nada!
Wait, why is a 1.5+ liter bike air cooled?? (I'm just assuming it's a 1.5+ liter bike, most of HDs are heh)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait, why is a 1.5+ liter bike air cooled?? (I'm just assuming it's a 1.5+ liter bike, most of HDs are heh)

(1.43 liter) They still use 1903 technology...air cooled, push rods etc. Yeah there have been improvements along the way, but for the most part it's still antiquated...except the V-Rod, that one is liquid cooled.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
My BIL did Route 66 last year with his dad. The only problem was a tire that couldn't be plugged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts