Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I just picked up 04 650 naked and am used to riding touring bikes. My current other bike is an 04 gold wing. I must say love the little zuk.

Your experience / tips needed with handlebar positions, rear tires (have dunslop 160/60) and getting a bit of wind deflected off the chest.

Handlebar position: I'm a 5'7 170 lb guy and don't feel i get enough countersteer from the factory setup - I feel I'm reaching to push on the bar ends. I've ridden friends bikes with clip on's and like the angle (but not the dropped down position) of the bars. Suggestions?

Tires: what are the benefits/downside of going to a wider rear tire like a 170 ? The current dunslop 160/60 is a bit squared off and I don't get the side to side roll and bite I'm used to on the goldwing or my friends sportbikes with wider rears. Is it because the tire is squared off or is the size and type tire???

Wind deflection: are there small deflector's out to keep me from feeling my chest wants to get pulled off above 60 mph?

Thanks for the help, SBG

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
there are a ton of options for a small windscreen, they will get the wind above your chest and you will feel like your head is getting blown off for most of them

if your having concerns with turn in, consider a SMALLER rear tire, maybe a 155/60 or 150/60 that will quicken your turn in, a larger tire will slow it down, but first, just try a new 160/60, your problems are prolly just the squared off tire

·
Registered
330 Posts
SBG,

My normal ride is a ST1100 and I think the SV turns in much quicker that the ST. I think the squared of tire is a big part of the problem. I see the same thing on my ST after commuting miles flatten it out.

Try rotating the bars to a positon that suits you. May just be a case of getting used to the different position. Need to remember to use you back and stomach muscles more to support your trunk and not put your weight on your wrists.

I just put a Targa screen on my wife's 99 naked and it deflects the blast quite nicely at freeway speeds. Took a little playing to get the angle right for proper airflow but it works well once dialed in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, Great advice....the Targa sounds like the plan....local buddies recommend it too.

I'm sure your all right about the squared off tires

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
There are literally hundreds of options for a screen. Suzuki-spec, Targa, Buell X-1, National Cycles, Rifle......blah, blah, blah. As you know - it'll never be the barn-door a 'Wing is. :)

As for tires - Put a fresh 160-anything on it and it'll turn like crazy. A squared-off tire provides no indication of true capabilities. Metzeler Roadtec Z6's or Michelin Pilot Powers are current Sport-Tour favorites 'round here.

Once you get the tires sorted and get to cornering, your buddies are going to wonder why they spent so blasted much money on a 'sport' bike when this 'girl's' bike shows them a thing or two. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input folks.

I ended up buying a nice little Givi A240A 14" H x 18" wide, looks great and gets the blast off the chest at upwards of 60 mph. No head blast either. Cheap $114 shipped. Looks much better than some of the others for less.

I've already addressed my initial turning concerns - raised forks, changed preloads, fork oil etc. and she turns mighty fine...new tires will sweeten the pot, but am just fine running the old ones into the ground.

Thanks all, bernie

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you have a picture of the A240 installed on your bike? Any problems installing it? I have an '03 and was considering this screen.

Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no problem installation's a snap

i'll get ya a pic if you give me a week and a half - we're leaving for daytona in a little while ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I just couldn't nail down any definitive yes/no that the A240 would work on a 2003+ SV. The only one I saw that worked for sure was the A755, but I'd rather try the A240 first.

Have fun at Daytona. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got the A240 but haven't installed it yet. I did put the bracket on the screen, and placed it up against the bike where it should go. I have one concern though. It doesn't appear that the "adjuster" screw (that allows the angle of the screen to adjust) actually bolt to the headlight bracket though. It seems like it's more of a door stop.

Did your shield install this way? Pictures may help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, the bolt does act as a "stop"

my A240 is mounted with everything slid back and down

with the shield and bracket mounted as described above - the shield comes close to matching the angle of the speedo sweep back

mount it and you'll see what i mean

I'm quite pleased with mine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.