Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ..

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here re: my crashed bike .. not sure if I should try to fix it or pretty much call it a scrap parts bike and buy another track bike.

Took the bodywork off, and it LOOKS to me like the most of the frames are okay. Most of the impact was on top of the bike as it flipped over. The rear sub frame looks a tweaked. However, the painted bits around the fork looks fine and the swing arm seems to still be straight and there's no mark on the frame so at this point I'll go ahead and assume frame / fork / swing arm are fine.

The chain / sprocket, I'm replacing as a precaution .. because although I think it might be fine .. it seems like it did slide on that side, and the chain / sprocket is extremely dirty. I can't tell if its damaged, so I'll swap it to be safe.

The brake reservoir ( near the throttle ) also snapped off, so there's zero brake pressure right now. I'll need to get that fixed so brake pads are also going to be swapped out for piece of mind.

Here's some images:

I made a rough list of parts that I think I'll need to fix here:

$150 - tank
$150 - rear subframe
$200 - chain / sprocket
$100 - brakes / pads
$140 - vortex fairing holder
$80 - bending back vortex rear set to shape
$50 - levers
$300 - bodywork - upper only
-------------------------------------
$1,160 - total for parts
$800 - guesstimating total for labor ( shop rate $100 / hr ) if I do some of the work myself
-------------------------------------
$1960 - total to fix if frame / fork / swing arm are in fact straight

That's quite expensive. Compare that to $2500-3000 for a "new" track bike .. and I can part out / sell stuff from my current bike ( like a Penske double ) .. I'm thinking the smarter bet is to buy a new bike though I'm a little attached to this bike since its my first track bike .. so I'm hoping my estimate is way off and its cheaper to fix than my estimate.

What do you guys think ?

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I think your totals are low, just MHO.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If your totals are accurate, definitely part out. Unless you could fix for about 1,000 I would part. If you plan to keep an SV as a track only bike most of the parts from the now crashed sv could serve as emergency parts for the new one.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Your prices on the tank, subframe, and body work are grossly underestimated.

If you have the money to fix it, fix it. If you do not, then sell off the parts individually, or as a whole. It's that simple.

Just remember that while you may get more for selling only the parts, you will need more time and preparation to do so, especially if you want to get top dollar. Take good photos, use http://www.worldofpowersports.com/oeparts.html to look up part numbers, CLEAN the parts, and remember to plan to ship your parts ANYWHERE. I would strongly suggest investing in proper shipping materials as part of your cost.

·
very big dumb
8,894 Posts
having done the partout thing before...
it will take you like 4 hours to take apart the bike, and then like 4 months to sell the parts.
You will also have A LOT of email to answer. And then you will be stuck with random parts nobody wants. You will find that shipping stuff costs a lot more than you'd expect (and some things are cost-prohibitive to ship). You will find that a bike in parts takes up A LOT more space than a whole bike. think 2 big shelving units or so.
You should be able to convert what's left of your bike and a bunch of time into ~2k as it is. Think like ~$400 for motor, ~$200 for frame with title (no useful money without) , ~$100 per wheel, $200 forks, and then misc stuff (clipons, triples, brackets, airbox, etc) at ~$10-$100

in short, don't expect the partout to be a quick and easy thing, nor that you will make a killing on it. I've done a couple bikes and a car before, and all of it takes a lot of online time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for everyone's input. After chewing over this for days and annoying friends / GF with constant discussion, I decided I'm going to keep this bike as well as get another bike for now for track bike.

I'll use this bike as my 'learner' bike to learn how to maintain / repair stuff myself. I'm lucky enough to live about 40 minutes from BayAreaMotoshop which have classes to teach you to do this stuff, so I'm going to take full advantage.

Taking their brake service, chain + sprocket service, as well as their fork service classes.

I purchased a tank ( its yellow .. urg ) from a local guy for $150, and am getting a BRG subframe for another $150 .. so the process is already starting.

It might not be the most financially rewarding way to do this at the moment, but hopefully I'll come away with a wealth of knowledge. I plan to keep doing track days and hopefully one day get into racing so its inevitable I'll crash again. Can't keep buying new bikes and parting out old ones .. so gotta learn to fix em!

In the coming months, I'll be trying to pick a lot of brains in the tech section so please bear with me. Thanks for everyone's advice !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts