Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow SVRiders...

I'm new to motorcycling and just recently purchased a 2001 SV650 as my first bike.
This site is awesome and played a big part in my decision!

To the point...
Is it possible to do a throttle adjustment on the SV650?
If I move the throttle just a hair... I'm talking a minute amount, I'm getting 3,000 RPM.
As I said, I'm new to all this, so I thought it might just be normal, but several friends who have ridden the bike have also mentioned the throttle being severely touchy.
The bike is completely stock with 1,400 miles on it.
If anyone could give me any advice on how to adjust the throttle, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks,

--nej

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Can't help much. Check to make sure the throttle cables at the grip are adjusted properly. Make sure there's a little "gap" between the open and close cable. If you don't have an owner's manual then download one. It's also a good idea to download a shop manual. You can get them from socalsvriders.org or sv650.org.

SV throttle response is not particularly sharp, but the torque curve is definitely steep. On inline four cylinder motorcycles the torque curve is relatively gentle. You've got to rev them pretty good to get them up on the curve. SVs don't need a lot of RPM to pull hard. The feel is very different from I-4 bikes. With practice your throttle control should smooth out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Try making the throttle cables loose at the throttle. The bike should idle the same with those loose as with them adjusted.

Does it hesitate to rev or just rev up really easy when you move it a little?

Kinda a strange one :)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Many peeps modify to a R6 1/5 turn throttle to make the throttle even more touchy..... are there throttle tubes availble that would go the other way? (that fit of course)

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I felt the same way when I got my 02 about a month ago. Give it some time and you will learn the sweet spot...I did. I had to place the heel portion of my hand (wrist down) on the metal part on the outside of the throttle (did that make sense?) until I got comfortable with the throttle response. Try rolling on the throttle until you get to 1500 rpm's then hold it there. Then gradually increase to 2k and hold it there as well. You will get the feel for the throttle.

On a side note, if you haven't taken an MSF course sign up for one. You will definately learn some clutch and throttle control there.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
After the engine is warmed up, what is the RPM readout at idle with no throttle input?

It should be 1300RPM +/- 100RPM.

If it is higher, your throttle stop screw might be wound up too much. It is located on the left side when facing the handlebars, in the gap where 2 ribs of the frame meet. Try adjusting it to get the idle to the above mentioned RPM.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've had inline 4's and the SV throttle is "touchy". I thought the exact same thing. but after a few weeks riding it, I'm almost used to the thing now.

I think what he means is when he rolls on the throttle to take off, the thing MOVES. :) mine sure does, and i even think mine has some minor carb issues( second owner).
I mean, when you put your hand on the throttle, and think about rolling it, and start to roll it, and before you know it you're up to 6500rpm and getting ready to shift and you're barely out of the driveway. :) LOL LOL

yeah man, it's touchy. ride it more and you'll learn how to deal with it, and trust me, it'll become a thrill instead of somethin' that bothers ya. or at least is did to me.

VRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooom! Whiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbrbbrbrrrrrrrrrrrr
( as i scoot by those inline 4's at the light. :) )

·
Registered
1 Posts
SV throttles can be touchy and the more bikes you ride
the more touchy it seems. I found that dyna-jet needles
helped my 2002 SV quite a bit. When playing around with
jets, the leaner the mixture the less smooth the bike seemed.

If your bike is stock you might want to richen the mixture up a bit.
That, and more miles under your belt and you should be fine.

Randy771
SV2002
Triumph Trophy 99

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
R6 tube doesn't really make it more touchy, it's more apparent in the higher revs.

Personalyl I've no issues at all with my own SV- I found it twitchy at first but it took no time to adjust to. But I do find some FI SVs seem rather on/off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.