Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so scratch my original post, I found where to get paint from. Called suzuki, they said they don't do touch up paint for their bikes, only their cars. They directed me to colorrite.com

Now my question is do I get a touch up pen or a touch up jar? the jar is $5 more, but I'm not familiar with touch up pens or how they work.

The area I need to touch up right now is on my frame. When removing one of my stickers I scratched the frame up a lot. (Not deep, bad scratches, but visible) In about a 5 inch X 2 inch area.

What's the best way to touch it up?

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I don't know about your paint but if it's like my 07 red you can't get a good match touch up paint... mine in a tri-coat... so if you find a place that has factory color touch up paint let me know

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about your paint but if it's like my 07 red you can't get a good match touch up paint... mine in a tri-coat... so if you find a place that has factory color touch up paint let me know
colorrite.com

http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colors.cfm?CFID=889187&CFTOKEN=95741712

My problem isn't the paint anymore, it's how to apply it to make everything look clean... I don't want there to be an obvious difference between the area I've touched up and the rest of the frame.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
colorrite.com

http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colors.cfm?CFID=889187&CFTOKEN=95741712

My problem isn't the paint anymore, it's how to apply it to make everything look clean... I don't want there to be an obvious difference between the area I've touched up and the rest of the frame.
you might have to take it somewhere to get it perfect.... thanks for the link I will have to try that out. I swear I went to that site and many others and nobody had my paint code.

thanks again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you might have to take it somewhere to get it perfect.... thanks for the link I will have to try that out. I swear I went to that site and many others and nobody had my paint code.

thanks again
I dunno where though. Do most body shops do cars AND bikes?

This is the damage. Any advice from anyone who knows paints/painting cars or bikes would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to get it covered up and make it look as new again as possible, obviously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny......I have the exact same problem. The guy I bought my bike from removed the warning stickers and left me w/ scratches as well! I don't think you will be able to blend the paint without painting a pretty large area of your frame, and then you will aslo need to clear coat it............It might be a good idea to ask a professional for some advice before you proceed.......

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
any body shop should work on bikes... is that from the sticker being removed...
I think that's more than touch up. I think you might have to sand and repaint that side

you could just slap on an svrider sticker and cover it up

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't want a sticker to cover it. I want it taken care of.

I was thinking about getting the touch up paint in the aerosol format and giving it a nice light coat all over (after covering the rest of the bike of course)

From what I've read on the mat black touch up paint for the SV650 (off color rite's website) it doesn't need a clear coat, only the main body color does.

Light coat, sand, light coat repeat if necessary...?

·
Registered
66 Posts
yes, all about blending.

i'd sand the affected area, and then some getting lighter the further away you go. mask everything off and feather your edges when you spray it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, all about blending.

i'd sand the affected area, and then some getting lighter the further away you go. mask everything off and feather your edges when you spray it.
Exactly what I was thinking about doing. But what do you mean by feathering?
(forgive me if that's a noob question, but I just really don't want to screw this up..)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heavy to light sanding.. sand all the scratch smooth and lightly sand around that lighter as you move away from the scratched area....."feathering"
Much appreciated. I figured that was what you meant, but wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
have the same 07 dark red with flake or whatever they consider it. i have a spot on my front fairing. its that thin spot on the side below the mirror and infront of the bar. asked my local dealer and they said they could order me some paint pens that would be a really close match. problem is that it is a 2 pen, 2 step process and each pen is $30 and then $30 more for the clear. i just going to deal with the spot instead of forking out the cash unless someone knows of a cheaper alternative.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
have the same 07 dark red with flake or whatever they consider it. i have a spot on my front fairing. its that thin spot on the side below the mirror and infront of the bar. asked my local dealer and they said they could order me some paint pens that would be a really close match. problem is that it is a 2 pen, 2 step process and each pen is $30 and then $30 more for the clear. i just going to deal with the spot instead of forking out the cash unless someone knows of a cheaper alternative.
we covered the body paint touch up. matt491 hooked us up with the link and it's cheaper than the dealer http://www.colorrite.com/product/suzuki-yhl-candy-sonoma-red-1681.cfm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts