Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to open and check/repack the bearings on my steering stem on a k3 650S. I understand how it all comes apart and goes back together except when you tighten it up or even to loosen it, do you use the steering stops to stop the from end from turning ? No risk of breaking them off ?
Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm pretty sure I used steering stops as u describe when I messed with mine (its been awhile) . I forget the exact number but I know it shouldn't b torqued to more than 60 lbs (I could b wrong) . If ur worried about the pressure of a breaker bar against the steering stops, use a impact gun an just have a buddy hold the bars straight (when disassembling) .

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have used the stops with no adverse effects.

Here is the procedure:

- Tighten the steering stem nut to the specified torque with the
special tools.
Steering stem nut: 45 N .m (4 .5 kgf-m, 32.5 lb-ft)

-Turn the steering stem about five or six times to the left and
right so that the angular ball bearing will be seated properly .

-Loosen the steering stem nut by 1/4 - 1/2 turn. This adjustment will vary from motorcycle to motorcycle .

-Install the washer .

-Install the steering stem lock nut and tighten it to the specified torque value.
Steering stem lock nut : 80 N .m (8.0 kgf-m, 58 .0 lb-ft)

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have to open and check/repack the bearings on my steering stem on a k3 650S. I understand how it all comes apart and goes back together except when you tighten it up or even to loosen it, do you use the steering stops to stop the from end from turning ? No risk of breaking them off ?
Thanks
Are you talking about the shiney chrome nut that bolts down on top of the upper triple, or the two locknuts that are just above the frame neck?

and yes, you can use the steering stops for both cases. They're quite sturdy, you know. When cranking the front end over to one side, the forks will bend long before those stops break off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts