Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I am in need of a torque wrench to do some things to my SV and was wondering what other people use. I have heard that they are really expensive, but have no idea what is a good one or not. Any info would be greatly appreciated. - Thanks - Skister

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
I use a Craftsman beam-type torque wrench that my dad gave me about 30 years ago.

A click-type is nice in terms of simplicity and ease of use, but a beam-type is wonderfully simple. IIRC the click type wrenches can go out of calibration, but I'm not absolutely sure about that. IMO as long as you buy a decent quality wrench and avoid ultra-cheap junk you'll be OK.

HTH

Bill

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I've got a nice Kobalt 3/8 10-100lb-ft from Lowes and a couple cheapies from Harbor Freight. For light duty you can't go wrong with the HF. The 3/8 cost me $10 and the 1/2 was about $12. They seem to be just as accurate as the expensive one.... for now..

G

·
Craftsman clicky kind. Had it for years. Super convenient. It was a gift though - not worth the money IMO. Beam type is reliable and sturdy. Don't spend a bunch of money.

·
Registered
787 Posts
craftsman 3/8" beam type it was 26.95 at sears works good, just always check the zero before using over the years they can get warped a bit, but other wise they work good, the ratchet kind goes for like 78-100 bucks but unless you do a lot of auto work not worth in it IMO

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Click wrenches can and do go out of calibration. If you have one more than a couple of years old get it calibrated. Always reset click wrenches to zero after use.

Beam wrenches are cheaper and foolproof.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was just at Sears yesterday. I saw my beam type for $25.99. The clickers are mostly $50 or more and I have never seen one that did not go out of calibration.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Another Craftsman clicker here.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
beam types are cheaper & almost foolproof, I say almost fool proof, cause you have to have a clear view of the indicator

clicker types are conveinent, especially when the beam type makes you contort your body to read  it

I have 2 clickers,  one a 3/8 drive in inch pounds and a metric scale, the other, a 1/2" drive in ft lbs & metric.

but the question is what do I use on my SV..... neither.... I pay a mechanic to do all the wrenching on my SV.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
bought a cheapie no-name clicker at walmart.

If I had known they needed calibration, I probably would've spent only a little more and bought a craftsman beam wrench. or perhaps one of those almost disposable $12 jobs from harbor freight.

how do you calibrate a torque wrench anyway? It FEELS like it's pretty close...that is, 50 lbs is much harder to turn that 30 lbs. And 30 lbs feels like about 30 lbs. I know, that's really subjective. If there is some way to calibrate it at home, I'd certainly do it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Novadesigns said:
I have a mid-range Craftsman clicker that I got on sale for about $25 Works great!
yeah my dad told me to never buy tools from sears unless they are on sale because they are way overpriced most of the time....I found out the hard way.  You paid how much for that socket..I got a whole set for the price of that one on sale...grrr

I have always used clicker Sears and they have been right on with no problems. I hear snap on makes some good ones also but both are $50+ if not $100+....hey try ebay :p

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
bbmxta said:
I have always used clicker Sears and they have been right on with no problems. I hear snap on makes some good ones also but both are $50+ if not $100+....hey try ebay :p
A Snap-On clicker for $50-$100?!?!? :D No way... try $200+. clicky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts