Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have some super-lightweight gloves for summer riding (mesh with padding) and I'm starting to think that I should get a beefier pair for that 'just in case' scenario. I'd like a pair that didn't cook my hands, but I'd also like something that will keep them from shearing off in a crash lol. I don't want to be a total cheap ass but price is a bit of a factor. I was looking at these... seem to be pretty tough (though look a little on the hot side). Thoughts?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/AGV_Sport_Force_Leather_Gloves--610447.html

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'd spend a little more (~$90) and get a decent pair of perfed gauntlets, like the Cortech Adrenaline or you can go 3/4 length with the Cortech Vice for ~$72. There are a lot of options out there, those are just my favorites so far. You're hands are important, I'd make sure they're protected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow. That's a lot of money still! I remember when I went out looking for gloves. I had no clue what I wanted. I really liked carbon fiber knuckled gloves, but when you weren't making a cupped fist with your hand they were extremely uncomfortable. Then I tired the thick leather knuckles on, they were awesomely comfortable. The rest of the gloves are leather. Their light weight, so I wouldn't expect them to be wearable after that one possible time, but I'm comfortable in saying they'll save my hands. They even match my bike, bright blue. They were $35 and keep your hands cool, but as soon as cold weather came I had to ditch them. They are Z1R Surge leather Shortys.... here'http://www.z1rhelmets.com/productDetails.jsp?catId=2039&productId=8101&rank=100&tree=2027&branch=2039&leaf=s the link. BTW, they have nice air vents in the knuckles!

·
Registered
750 Posts
+1 on the adrenalines. Great gloves for the price. Don't skimp on gear if you can help it. The first time you go down in cheap gear will probably be the last time you buy cheap gear. (multiple meanings on that one) I had some cheap gloves (joe rockets) and rashed up my hands good doing 15-20mph. Hurt like heck. Thin is comfy, but you can have the best of both worlds if you shop.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Before I went to a Gauntlet type glove, I had the Cortech Accelerators. Very high quality glove with the hard point on the knuckles. I still have them but I've become accustomed to my Gauntlets which were $100. I believe the Cortech's were about $54?

·
Registered
908 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I'm a glove whore, I have about a half dozen pairs that I wear regularly, whenever I'm at a bike meet or other venue where there are vendors, I usually end up with another pair

·
Registered
285 Posts
Check out newenough.com's closeout bin.

I recently got these from them: http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/power_trip_us_army_branded_gear/abrams_motorcycle_gloves.html

(For some reason they are miscategorized and don't show up if you click to see gloves in closeout.)

If you're not a fan of the big Army logo, you can just unstitch it (they show pics with it unstitched). The knuckles are heavy duty plastic, and there's leather padding in all the important places, including at the wrist, which I particularly liked about this glove (I want wrist protection, but prefer not to have bulky gauntlets).

Best part: $15!!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
BAH! I've looked at so many gloves, my eyes hurt! I guess I'm being REALLY picky because I liked my last gloves SO much (Tourmaster Cortech Comp-Carbon).

So if anyone has a suggestion for me, I'm all ears. I'm looking for the best vented, full-leather armored gauntlet out there for less than $100. Emphasis on VENTING! My last gloves (RIP) had perforated fourchettes, vents on the tops of the fingers, vents on the back of the hand, and an area of perf on top of the wrist.

The cortech adreneline is the closest I've found so far. opinions? or other suggestions?
http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/cortech_by_tour_master/adrenaline_motorcycle_gloves.html

edit - oh, wait...ranger reviewed them, and she liked them!
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=72114

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
+ 1 for the Adrenalines

·
Chief Greeter
28,477 Posts

I recently got these from them: http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/power_trip_us_army_branded_gear/abrams_motorcycle_gloves.html

(For some reason they are miscategorized and don't show up if you click to see gloves in closeout.)

If you're not a fan of the big Army logo, you can just unstitch it (they show pics with it unstitched). The knuckles are heavy duty plastic, and there's leather padding in all the important places, including at the wrist, which I particularly liked about this glove (I want wrist protection, but prefer not to have bulky gauntlets).

Best part: $15!!
I have a pair of those, they are really nice actually for the price! ;)

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
I've had 3 pair of Cortech's. There are 2 reviews written on them. If you buy online, go with Newenough.com, if they don't fit the return policy is excellent.

I bought a pair of Spidi gloves from them and they were way too tight, got a full refund towards the Adrenaline's, of which I would get another pair without a second thought.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I guess it all boils down to how much you value your fingers. I play guitar and bass and have made money through giving lessons and playing on stage, so I may place a higher value on my hands and fingers than many people. At first, I was buying some of the cheapest gloves I could find, and then realized how stupid I was for doing that. I moved up to some Teknic Violator gloves that I picked up on close-out.....and they crash really, really well. I replaced them with another pair of close-out Violator Pro gloves. Those have recently worn out and I replaced them with the higher level Teknic Speedstar gloves that I found on close-out.

The last several pairs of gloves I've bought have been through New Enough. I bought two pairs of Teknic Speedstar gloves from them for $79 each (retail for $179). They currently have some Teknic Violators in stock at $75 (retail around $130-$140). Just because you may not want to spend a lot of money doesn't mean you can't have good quality gear. I always look for close-out deals, because you can buy a LOT more for your money with close-out gear.....and even more money if you don't mind having bright colors. I once bought a brand spankin' new AGV X-Vent helmet for $99 (retailed for $459). Currently, none of my gear was new. Just a few weeks ago I bought a brand new $1900 Dainese suit that was hanging on the dealer's wall since 2003 or 2004....I got it for $535.....it's yellow and black. ;)

Close-out gear rules!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts