Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding my '02 SV650S on a long, straight backroad (if you are gonna rant about speeding then stop reading now and pretend you didn't see this), and I decided to see how fast the bike went. I was riding in the Red River Valley of extreme western Minnesota (right on the Minnesota-North Dakota border, aka Red River). It was about 93 degrees, 94% humidity with prevailing 15mph tail wind. I cracked the throttle and started up through the gears. The last I looked at the speedo, it read all of 146 mph at ~9800rpm. I stayed on the throttle a bit longer but never looked back down at the speedo (needless to say my heart was pumping pretty good at this speed). Now I have read the other threads on top speed and this sounds a bit too fast for an SV, even if my speedo reads about 5 mph faster than actual speed. Anyways, just curious as to what you guys think of a stock SVS doing over a buck-forty (plus whatever more speed I got out of staying on the throttle for about five more seconds). And for those of you who follow the law by the strictest of standards and disregarded my disclaimer, I was on a straight highway with no cars visible within five miles (I could see the car). For those who have been to western MN or eastern ND then you know what I mean by straight, flat roads with nobody within five miles.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
:roll: :roll:

everytime this topic comes up, which is about once every two weeks, the general concensus is that the speedo is about 10+% off, which means your 146 is really, at most, 130ish. even that is doubtful.

i recently put a gps on my bike and so far the speedo is only accurate below 25. anything above that, the gps reads less then my speedo

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
+1 146 on a 1st gen sv, highly doubtful unless ducowner gave u all the works :p

i remember saying they didnt go past 125, 130 maybeh maybeh....

and where'd u get 15mph tail wind? rofl

·
Registered
285 Posts
Can I have your engine!?!? Pretty pretty please?

Azrider and I did a little testing last weekend wit his gps. Wide open for 5 minutes and 120-125 was the most we could get on GPS. That was 135 indicated. I'm on an 03 SVS, he's on an 03 SV. If you got 146 indicated damn I'm jealous!

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Mizatt said:
Can I have your engine!?!? Pretty pretty please?

Azrider and I did a little testing last weekend wit his gps. Wide open for 5 minutes and 120-125 was the most we could get on GPS. That was 135 indicated. I'm on an 03 SVS, he's on an 03 SV. If you got 146 indicated damn I'm jealous!

Hmm.
Maybe I should go reproduce that just to make sure Im not talking out my butt.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
maybe i need to hook up the camera to focus on the speedo and the gps. then i can open it up and we can see the difference

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fastest i ever had my stock (well it had a sv1k snorkel) was 130 indicated. Which is probably closer to 115 real speed. I havent had a chance to see how fast my new motor will go. I think ill take a radar gun with me and check it out this weekend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After reading this, I must admit that tire size must have a little more effect on the speedo than I thought. I've got an 01 SVS so I'll assume that our gauges are pretty much the same, however I'm running a 120/70 Rennsport front tire that's fairly tall (almost rubs the fender). At BIR I'm usually pulling ~ 10,000 RPM at the end of the straight and my speedo typically shows around 132 mph. A little surprising that that something like tire size can make a 14 mph difference, go figure.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and where'd u get 15mph tail wind? rofl
Obviously you have never been to the upper midwest. We get winds that are sustained at 30mph on a regular basis. Anyways, I was just curious what you guys thought, although 10% in a speedo seems quite inaccurate as far as guages go ( I am a chemical engineer and if I had a guage that was only accurate within 10% then stuff might blow up). All I really know is that when I was going that fast it felt plenty fast enough, but if I was on a bike that was better built for high speed it might be a different story.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My speedo was definatly almost pegged at 150 so either I have an incredibly inaccurate speedo or one hell of a special bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 05 naked topped out at 138 on a dyno, NO wind. On the road I got it up to 126 before traffic became a concern.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I had around 145 indicated but still climbing before I dropped my gearing... Ran out of bottle before I ran out of road since that'd get me chucked in jail over here :) The bike felt like it was about to explode, mind... That's a slightly breathed-on bike- a bit lighter, a bit more power, and a 60-kilo rider :)

I keep on meaning to do some proper a/b-ing with the Veypor to see how the speedo run off the rear wheel compares with the more accurate veypor speedo...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If top speed is important to you, you bought the wrong bike. Period.

Can we just sticky a "Top Speed" thread so they don't come up every freakin' week??? :roll:

·
Registered
231 Posts
stranger said:
:roll: :roll:

everytime this topic comes up, which is about once every two weeks, the general concensus is that the speedo is about 10+% off, which means your 146 is really, at most, 130ish. even that is doubtful.

i recently put a gps on my bike and so far the speedo is only accurate below 25. anything above that, the gps reads less then my speedo
Also don't forget to deduct some for that prevailing tail wind of approx. 15 mph.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Poe said:
Not at all... If having the highest top speed is important to you then you're right, but there's no reason people shouldn't be interested in what the machinery they have is capable of... You might have a point if this was the C90 or CG125 forum, but the SV's no slouch. No rocketship either, but if you consider it slow there's something wrong with your brain :)

If you're not interested in top speed threads, why click on a thread called "Top Speed?"...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Northwind said:
Poe said:
Not at all... If having the highest top speed is important to you then you're right, but there's no reason people shouldn't be interested in what the machinery they have is capable of... You might have a point if this was the C90 or CG125 forum, but the SV's no slouch. No rocketship either, but if you consider it slow there's something wrong with your brain :)

If you're not interested in top speed threads, why click on a thread called "Top Speed?"...
You're right... I stand corrected. That IS what I meant though. I guess I should have worded it your way - or "If you bought the SV for its top speed, you bought the wrong bike". I agree though... it IS interesting to determine the top speed of any machine you have - even if it's not the fastest of its type. It's just that this comes up SO often on here I'm tired of it. I was serious about making a sticky for it. I'll have to carry my GPS with me the next time I cut my grass and see what the top speed of my John Deere is! :p

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thejimdaddy said:
thejimdaddy hates top speed threads, why are there so many of them, and to answer your next question, yes, i have trouble following directions :wink:
The Nudist Agrees.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts