Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You can get a free GPS speedometer app for your cell phone.

I use it because my lightning has taller tires than stock. 70 indicated = 77mph... youch...

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Taking into account speedo error of a conservative 5-7%, your indicated speed of 137 is more like 127 to 130. If the error is in the 10% range you'd be at 123.

Either way, nothing earth-shattering.

The SV isn't fast.

You need a GSXR1000 or a Busa.
More like 9% actually from what I've observed using a GPS. 100mph indicated was really 91mph.

The OP went 124-125mph max.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok I know the stock top speed of a sv650 is 120 but i hit 137 when i backed off with a [email protected] air filter Rejeted carbs, and the shorty scorpion can, Mind that the bike still has the stock sprockets, I was wondering if anyone else has hand this kind of luck. im pretty sure i can break the 140 or even the 145 mph mark, lets hear it!
I just wanted to point out that the aerodynamic drag is a square of velocity.

When you say that you can go 120mph and that it should be able to go 140mph, you're forgetting that mere 20mph increases probably requires more additional power than it takes to maintain 120mph.

This is why even 180(+)hp 1000cc rockets are incapable of going 2x as fast as even some 250cc's despite having staggeringly more power.

2cents

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
ok i wasnt asking for a bash fest i was curious what other were capable of doing yes INDCATED SPEED WAS 137 and the bike did feel like it had more pull from before, was it actually around the 125 mark actual spped probably.and the nakeds have the aerodynamics for a barn but i do think 137 actual top speed is obtainble on one

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I've hit 125 indicated, and with my 70 profile front tire, I think that comes to 87 actual.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
ok i wasnt asking for a bash fest i was curious what other were capable of doing yes INDCATED SPEED WAS 137 and the bike did feel like it had more pull from before, was it actually around the 125 mark actual spped probably.and the nakeds have the aerodynamics for a barn but i do think 137 actual top speed is obtainble on one
With a strong tail wind maybe.

Aerodynamics and wind resistance are a real *****.

Does anyone know what the optimal speed of an SV is without factoring in the wind resistance? Just want it would go considering the gearing and rev limiter? I could figure it out...but i'm not that ambitious this morning.

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you don't want a bash fest, then ask rational, informed questions. Avoid topics that are favorites of trolls. It helps even more if you use proper spelling, capitalization and punctuation.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
In the end, nobody here cares how fast you can go in a straight line...

·
Registered
788 Posts
I just wanted to point out that the aerodynamic drag is a square of velocity.

When you say that you can go 120mph and that it should be able to go 140mph, you're forgetting that mere 20mph increases probably requires more additional power than it takes to maintain 120mph.

This is why even 180(+)hp 1000cc rockets are incapable of going 2x as fast as even some 250cc's despite having staggeringly more power.

2cents
Yep, and if you want to think of it in terms of power, the power requirement actually is dependent on the velocity cubed.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
As a very good example of that, the bugatti veyron only needed 250hp to do 150mph, the remaining 100mph on top of that required the additional 750hp

·
Registered
324 Posts
155 indicated..no speed healer. 2007 1000s. That's when I looked down, got scared, and throttled down. My buddy on a RC 51 blew by me and indicated 175. Im done ever doing that again.
Fyi... I have a app on my Android called CAR DASHBOARD...it tells your GPS speed, top speed achieved, direction, altitude, and has shortcuts to what ever you choose. I use Google maps, phone, Pandora and the police scanner. I have not used it on the bike yet till I get a cell phone mount, but I did use it in the jet I was taking off on and it hit 148 on takeoff...shhhhh...don't tell tsa on me. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,750 Posts
As a very good example of that, the bugatti veyron only needed 250hp to do 150mph, the remaining 100mph on top of that required the additional 750hp
Or in SV650 terms, if 120MPH takes all 68HP on tap, then to you need to mod the engine to 110HP to reach 140MPH. K&N filter, jets and a can are not going to cut it.

And the number of stickers required to bump the power adds too much weight to be practical. :p

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
You can get a free GPS speedometer app for your cell phone.

I use it because my lightning has taller tires than stock. 70 indicated = 77mph... youch...
Hey Striga....you used to be able to calibrate the speedo on the earlier Ford pickups. There was a green connector behind the glove box that you ground and then the trip button will adjust the revs per mile. Pretty neat. But...I don't know if the later ones allow this. Might be worth a search and maybe hit up the Lightning forums as they'd probably know if it is possible.

Edit: The SCT flashers can adjust the speedo too...along with all kinds of neato stuff so you can tweak it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Taking into account speedo error of a conservative 5-7%, your indicated speed of 137 is more like 127 to 130. If the error is in the 10% range you'd be at 123.

The SV isn't fast.

I hit 123 on my SV650 2002 series

The SV isn't fast.

I have hit 123 on my sv650. Any thing over speed limit is to fast however everything over that is balls to the wall.

·
very big dumb
8,814 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another great example of how weight effects acceleration and aero affects top speed:

I'm 6'3" and weigh 225lbs. Our lightest endurance team member is much shorter and probably weighs around 150-160lbs. Obviously he can tuck in better than me (I'm all elbows and knees sticking out on the straights) and the bike can accelerate quicker with him weighing 60+ lbs less.

At Nelson Ledges, I can run almost 2 seconds/lap quicker than him. Coming out of the carousel that leads onto the back straight my exit speed was slightly higher. Yet on the back straight he was hitting 119mph versus 115 for me. (GPS speed, not a speedometer on the bike) According to the GPS his maximum accleration in G's on the back straight was .35 to my .24.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts