Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know the stock top speed of a sv650 is 120 but i hit 137 when i backed off with a [email protected] air filter Rejeted carbs, and the shorty scorpion can, Mind that the bike still has the stock sprockets, I was wondering if anyone else has hand this kind of luck. im pretty sure i can break the 140 or even the 145 mph mark, lets hear it!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Bold move posting this here haha. Also, the SV top speed differs. By the picture it looks like you have a 1st Gen naked. Seeing as there aren't any fairings, the top speed will probably be lower than an S model. That said, pretty sure the naked will get up to about 130 from what I've heard. The issue isn't the performance of the bike, a lot of that has to do with drag/wind resistance. At some point the aerodynamics of the bike/you on the bike simply won't allow it to go faster.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that was the speed on the speedo, im not exactly sure what actual was, when everthing was stock 120 was it the engine wouldnt push it any faster, as far as aero goes i think 150 would be pushing it on a naked bike

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
Taking into account speedo error of a conservative 5-7%, your indicated speed of 137 is more like 127 to 130. If the error is in the 10% range you'd be at 123.

Either way, nothing earth-shattering.

The SV isn't fast.

You need a GSXR1000 or a Busa.

·
Banned
855 Posts
My speedo is only off by 3-4mph at 133 mph indicated. I have a naked s model with k&n and delkevic slipon, had an 07 engine, now is getting an 05 engine, geared 3 up in back from stock s gearing. Took me a while and me squishing into the tank to get there though.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Ok I know the stock top speed of a sv650 is 120 but i hit 137 when i backed off with a [email protected] air filter Rejeted carbs, and the shorty scorpion can, Mind that the bike still has the stock sprockets, I was wondering if anyone else has hand this kind of luck. im pretty sure i can break the 140 or even the 145 mph mark, lets hear it!
Downhill(decent grade), downwind(about 20-25mph gusting to 35), on a closed course I've honestly seen 150 on the stock speedo and a 100% stock 650S right down to the chain. I was about 200lbs.

That was 134 on the GPS...

So my speedo is about 10% off. I would imagine most are around that.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Not sure why you're so gaga about your top speed. In 1948 Rollie Free went 150.313mph on the first Vincent HRD wearing nothing but a bathing suit and sneakers.

·
Registered
818 Posts
By U.S. law, speedos can be quite inaccurate as long as they over-indicate the speed, with no tolerance for under-indication (from the factory). This, and because people like to brag about how fast they can go, leaves bike mfg's happy, for the most part, to sell bikes with wildly (10%) optimistic speedometers.

Also, as speeds go up, tire slippage often increases the optimism, as many modern bikes pull the speed from the engine/rear wheel rather than the front wheel.

All said and done, either gps, radar, or a timed run will likely give you a much closer to accurate reading. There have been several threads on this forum, and countless bench racing sessions, most of which boil down to the fact that it is hard to take any undocumented speed claims with any degree of confidence.

·
Super Moderator
8,730 Posts
Downhill(decent grade), downwind(about 20-25mph gusting to 35), on a closed course I've honestly seen 150 on the stock speedo and a 100% stock 650S right down to the chain. I was about 200lbs.

That was 134 on the GPS...
I can believe that. At high speed wind at your back makes a big difference. Given a 25mph tail wind, drag at effective 110mph is 33% less than true 135mph. Big difference on gas mileage too, not that you care at that speed...

·
MOTORADOR
10,935 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ive had my GPS on my bike and my speedo is almost always 10% optimistic, your 137 was probably closer to 123. As long as no one will ask me where and when, I will admit to seeing 137 on my speedo before...

Please dont judge, I was young and dumb... Ok younger and dumber

·
Super Moderator
8,730 Posts
... Please dont judge, I was young and dumb... Ok younger and dumber
I bet there are plenty of places in ND where you can max the speedo without putting yourself or anyone else in danger. :fiddy:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
127.6 gps corrected mph. on my 01 S model......& that's about 200rpm shy of the rev. limiter

1 - 20 of 44 Posts