Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another reason to not do wheelies.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2012/07/motorcyclist-killed-popping-wheelies-in-pierce-county/

A motorcyclist was killed Wednesday afternoon after a collision with a minivan in Pierce County. His identity was not immediately released.

According to the Washington State Patrol, the motorcyclist was doing wheelies at a high rate of speed before the accident. A minivan carrying two adults and two children collided with him while turning left into a fireworks stand in the 2600 block of River Road East.

The adult female passenger in the van was treated at a hospital, but no one else in the van was injured, troopers said.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Top reason to not do wheelies.

That's too bad. Paied the highest price for his risky behavior.

·
Registered
76 Posts

I've seen high speed wheelies once in my life on the interstate. The 2 bikers sped past me like I was standing still. I remember thinking, that's dumb.

RIP

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I feel bad for the driver and their family also. Having to not just witness such a thing but being cause would be pretty devestating personally. My guess is the van driver never even saw the bike if he was doing a wheelie when he turned.

·
Registered
391 Posts

I have stunter friends who do this regularly. They do have control bikes with them who get on the left and right and behind to avoid this sort of thing but you cant always predict these things.

High speed wheelies are much easier to do then low speed, so most of these kids are new at it. The good ones have safe back lots where they do wheelies and tricks all day without going over 10 mph.

I do not stunt myself and never will but they know the risks when they do it, and they enjoy the rush. Its just stupid that other people get hurt in the process............ I do not agree with this kind of riding but im not their parents so what can you do :( RIP

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The same thing would have happened if he wasnt doing a wheelie.

Not an excuse for the behavior though.
I'm not so sure on this one. If he's doing a standing wheelie and the bottom of the bike is all black and grey there is a lot less that will be seen. If he's cruising with both wheels on the ground they could have seen his lights and (his colorful riding gear)

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

A motorcyclist died about 4 p.m. Wednesday in a collision with a minivan in the 2600 block of River Road, according to Washington State Patrol trooper Guy Gill.

Witnesses said the cyclist, identified as 31-year-old Eric Markle of Tacoma, was driving east on River Road at 100 miles per hour – twice the speed limit – and doing a wheelie at the time of the crash.

The van, a 1995 Ford Windstar, was heading west before driver Joshua Richards, 24, of Fife made a left turn into a fireworks stand parking lot, and Markle struck the right front passenger door, Gill said.

Markle, who was wearing helmet, died at the scene, and his 2009 Yamaha YZF-R6 broke in half.

Richards and front-seat passenger Sherilyn Taylor, 25, of Bothell, were taken to the hospital with minor injuries. The two children in the car were not hurt.

“The preliminary investigation indicates there could be shared fault by the minivan and the motorcyclist,” Gill said.

Richards did turn into Markle’s path, he said, but the cycle’s speed was a factor, too.

“Maybe the driver did not even realize there was a motorcycle there,” Gill said. “If it was doing a wheelie, the driver might not have been able to see the lights. It’s difficult, almost impossible, to judge speeds like that.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/07/04/2204899/river-road-crash-kills-tacoma.html#storylink=cpy

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts

If the motorcyclist removes the speeding and wheeling he probably lives.

·
Registered
30 Posts

i agree with the post being "not doing wheelies on higher traffic public roads" i do practice them, but its in either a school parking lot, or at the end of a dead end road, since you cant go up too long with the SV anyways

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts

We've all done stupid things, some are just luckier than others.
Amen. Well put.

Condolences to both families.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Doing the ton in a 50 zone really increases your chances of someone pulling out on you as even IF they have looked and actually seen you, that glance says 'he's WAY down there and I'm good to go' but upon them in an instant. I almost pulled out on a fellow speeding once and am normally pretty diligent about not doing such things. He was cookin' and came 'from out of nowhere' almost literally.

Doing a wheelie at speed kind of limits your evasive abilities a little too I'd imagine. Plus, could he even see the van crossing into his path balancing on the back wheel? Dumb and bad and he paid. Very sad for all involved and the black eye we all just got in many minds who will read about this.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

looking at this picture he was probably about where the cop car is when the van driver started turning.

·
Registered
391 Posts

looking at this picture he was probably about where the cop car is when the van driver started turning.
Are you even allowed to turn there?? It looks like solid double yellows on both sides. Isnt that usually an invisible median?

·
Registered
40 Posts

I can't say that I feel sorry for this squid... Don't do stupid **** like this and this wont happen. Riding wheelies where traffic is at two times the legal speed limit proves that this guy was brain dead long before he hit the van.

Guys like this give us all bad names and he deserved what he got. Grill me if you feel it necessary but I can't feel sorry for him or his family for not teaching him common sense at a ripe young age.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts