1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nifty article from Bike magazine.

http://www.kyote.demon.co.uk/top50corneringbikes.pdf

This is how they did it, look at this formula

[LeanAngle+Flickability+MidCornerSpeed+ExitDrive+ExceedsExpectations] all *DIVIDED* by "risk of hospital food" *TIMES* "involvement"

Then the whole thing makes sense cause a Buell wins, and 05 Gixxer 1K and Ducati 749R are last and second to last!

Risk Factor and Involvement are the two most powerful ratings. They lay all this out up front, it's a facinating article, you should read it. I only wish they spoke more about the bikes, about a paragraph instead of a sentance per bike would be nice.

So when you expect it's a really fast bike (low exceeding expectations) and it really freaking is (divided by high risk of hospital food), and the handling is isolatingly smooth (times low involvment) you're low on the list. Examples: Duc749R 49th, 2005 GSX-R1000 48th, KawkZ1000 47th, TrimphTT600 46th.........

What you are looking to see are the two secondary lists with "emotion" removed, being expectations, hospital visit, and involvement just leaving lean angle, drive, apex speed, and flickability. Then they do the it that way again for all race bikes, one that are not in the main comparo.

What a cool article. I plan to touch it up in full Acrobat, print it and hang it in the garage.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What has this been posted already? It's causing quite a stirrrr in the the Triumph Inline-4 Fourm....

At any rate - BUMP for the midday crowd!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Novadesigns said:
Yeah, when the media says jump... we jump.
Actually everyone seems to be jumping the wrong way, it is the best as in most fun cornering tool comparo. The word fun brings in the opinion aspect. Remember they also rated them by pure tech and mechanics, and they came out like you would expect, Duc, Gix1k, etc. right down the line.

When the media says jump I point and laugh at those who do.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I question a Triumph Rocket 3 being a more involved cornering machine than the SV, but, well, I've never ridden one, and all that torque does make things interesting.

Anyway, I absolutely love BIKE magazine, and cool stuff like this is why. Pity its so expensive to subscribe to here in the states.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eisenfaust said:
I question a Triumph Rocket 3 being a more involved cornering machine than the SV, but, well, I've never ridden one, and all that torque does make things interesting.

Anyway, I absolutely love BIKE magazine, and cool stuff like this is why. Pity its so expensive to subscribe to here in the states.
I agree about the Rocket's placement ahead of the SV, it is suprising.

Ya'gotta basically look at it as, if the bike is suprisingly fun to corner, not too terrifying mid corner, and makes you feel like a hero, it's gonna be a good placer.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
That article's a load of cock, basically... Because they downrate bikes that you'd expect to be good at cornering. Feeble minded if you ask me.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I admire them for attempting to rate the bikes by more than the usual performance numbers. We all know the SV is much more than the sum of it's "inferior" spec's. I disagree with their "formula" which pretends to objectify pure opinion and then weights it disproportionately. Their premise may have been to rate how much fun each bike was to ride [ever hear "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than to ride a fast bike slow"?], but they burdened the comparison with too much number-crunching and far too many machines. The "Performance Bikes" article last year (September '04) that compared the cornering abilities of only 6 (including a Ducati and a Buell, which also won) was a much better read.

In the end their article is just another list which we look at out of curiosity, and then disagree with.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Sure, but they specifically downgrade bikes that corner well, but which you know will corner well- race reps etc. That's just stupid. It's like saying a big AJ makes a better hammer than a ball pean, because hte ball pean's supposed to be a hammer while you don't expect the AJ to drive nails well...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Northwind said:
Sure, but they specifically downgrade bikes that corner well, but which you know will corner well- race reps etc. That's just stupid.
I agree, that's pitiful logic.
Northwind said:
It's like saying a big AJ makes a better hammer than a ball pean, because hte ball pean's supposed to be a hammer while you don't expect the AJ to drive nails well...
ummm....what's an AJ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts