Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I want to (possibly) start mounting/balancing my own tires. All the youtube videos make it look pretty easy. I have a list of a few tools I need, but I was hoping someone could let me know what I'm forgetting, and answer a few questions.

Tools:
1. A balancer. There's this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-98488.html ...but, could I just get a rod and a pair of bearings, and support it by something lying around the garage? (e.g., jack stands)

2. Tire irons (or whatever they're called)... i.e., the crowbar-type things that are used to get tires off and on the wheel. Can somebody tell me what these are called and/or point me to a product online?

3. Wheel weights. (duh.)

4. Rim protectors to facilitate easier removal/installation of tires. I've heard plastic Tropicana jugs are great. :)

So, what am I forgetting? :ears:

Thanks,

Jesse

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
a bead breaker and a valve stem core remover

·
Registered
832 Posts
Easy to remove a valve stem, utility knife. You do need a tool to put a new one in. You can use a full length 2x4 along with a short piece as a bead breaker.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Here is what you need....at the time I made this video I did not have a "curved" iron (spoon). Get one...its helpful in removing the old tire. I'm using the bike's axle and chain adjustment hardware during balancing along with my standard sawhorses. A few spoons and two rim protectors. Any mild soap solution will also work...very simple tools really. And instead of spending $50 on a "balance stand", go spend $25 on some sawhorses that you can use for other purposes.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
i purchased the harbor freight balancer and some of their weights.

i use some 5 year old motion pro tire irons.

bead breaker? whats that? jk. i don't use those and i get along fine. i'm sure it would be at least a bit easier with a bead breaker.

schrader valve coring tool. i use a cotter pin cut to right length and another through its eye for the t-handle effect. actual corers can be bought for like a buck. esp if you buy at harbor freight.

when mounting the tire, i ran into a problem my first time:

"how the [email protected]#$ do you seat the bead?!?!?!?!"

turns out i was a dummy, but what i did was:
lubricate the tire beads
get some starter fluid and a lighter
i'm sure you get the picture.

i don't recommend the starter fluid method. rather use a quick fill connection and a compressor. its safer and easy.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I made a dinky thread awhile back on another forum. http://rocketfreaks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3223-save-money-changing-your-own-tires/

Also have a picture of the bead breaker/inflator

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159897

I have since then evolved and become thriftier. All you really need is tire irons, lube, core removal, bead breaker (which can be made), rim protectors can be arizona plastic jubs or orange juice, ladder for balancing or car jacks. I have switched out two sets one on my first bike and one on my 03' sv650s. For my second sete I marked where the weights should be and took it to cycle gear where they balance for free no questions (just stay there when they do it) all my balancing turned out correct.

For seating the bead I just used a tire pump that you can hook up to your cars lighter port. My first bike took like close to 40psi to seat both sides (you will hear a *POP!* *POP!* and you are done seating. My SV650S took drastically less to seat (around 25psi). My friend and I both wondered why our wider rims were easier to seat. He had a ex500 and stepped up to a MV Brutale and I stepped up to the SV :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
schrader valve coring tool.
Thanks. Do I need a new valve stem or valve core for mounting a new tire, or do I reuse everything I take out? (As you can see I have no idea what I'm talking about here.)

cerealninjakilla:
For seating the bead I just used a tire pump that you can hook up to your cars lighter port. My first bike took like close to 40psi to seat both sides (you will hear a *POP!* *POP!* and you are done seating. My SV650S took drastically less to seat (around 25psi). My friend and I both wondered why our wider rims were easier to seat. He had a ex500 and stepped up to a MV Brutale and I stepped up to the SV
So, when people talk about "seating" the bead, they simply mean filling up the tire with air until it makes a loud pop? (I'll use a free gas station air pump for this.)

Spacecoast:
instead of spending $50 on a "balance stand", go spend $25 on some sawhorses
Nice. I wondered if there would be too much friction between the wheel and axle, but apparently not.

For a bead breaker, I like the 2 2x4's method. Might even put a hinge on it. :)

Thanks EVERYONE for your responses.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Two pops. One per side and you are good to go. Air to correct pressure and be on your merrily way. Just make sure you mark the heavy point with just the rim. Correspond it with the mark on the tire. Then balance it again after the new tire is on to set weights.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Harbor freight sells a manual tire changer that, when mounted to a pallet is easy to use and still easy to stash away when you don't need it. Makes mounting and unmounting VERY easy:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thanks. Do I need a new valve stem or valve core for mounting a new tire, or do I reuse everything I take out? (As you can see I have no idea what I'm talking about here.)
You can install a new valve stem if you'd like, but it's not necessary for a simple tire change. I do recommend buying a couple stems and a pack of a few cores just in case.

I did mess up a stem once by forgetting to return the core to the stem and performing the starter fluid method for bead seating. I got a jet of flame shoot through stem for a second and well, it's toast.

And you're welcome for the advice. :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Hi all,
I want to (possibly) start mounting/balancing my own tires. All the youtube videos make it look pretty easy. I have a list of a few tools I need, but I was hoping someone could let me know what I'm forgetting, and answer a few questions.

Tools:
1. A balancer. There's this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-98488.html ...but, could I just get a rod and a pair of bearings, and support it by something lying around the garage? (e.g., jack stands)
They are easy to find for cheap. Balancing has been debated on here before. I have a balancer and rarely use it on my own wheels.

2. Tire irons (or whatever they're called)... i.e., the crowbar-type things that are used to get tires off and on the wheel. Can somebody tell me what these are called and/or point me to a product online?
look into the No-Mar tire bar, it's well worth the money and comes with lube paste, a spray bottle, extra tips and a DVD. This will also eliminate your need for #4.

3. Wheel weights. (duh.)
See #1

4. Rim protectors to facilitate easier removal/installation of tires. I've heard plastic Tropicana jugs are great. :)
see #2

You can also check out my tire mounting thread for more info and videos on some homemade stuff and the No-Mar bar.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
This is what I use for irons: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0049/

To add to what's already been posted, get a spray bottle and fill it with soapy water (dish detergent or something).

I usually replace the valve core every time. They're cheap enough and I change the tires infrequently enough that the risk of a bad stem isn't outweighed by the cost.

You could also change the tire without removing the stem, though I've always removed ii. Not sure if you'd have issues seating the bead.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Valve stems are rubber and can age the same as tires do.
What year SV1K? Four or five years is all I'd go on a set of stems, then replace.
Last time around I replaced them with aluminium 90deg stems.
May not have to change up the o-ring seal as often. It's mostly completely covered up.

12mm allen socket to get the front axle loose. Don't remember the size for the rear axle nut.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can install a new valve stem if you'd like, but it's not necessary for a simple tire change. I do recommend buying a couple stems and a pack of a few cores just in case.

I did mess up a stem once by forgetting to return the core to the stem and performing the starter fluid method for bead seating. I got a jet of flame shoot through stem for a second and well, it's toast.

And you're welcome for the advice. :thumbsup:
bcj:
Valve stems are rubber and can age the same as tires do.
What year SV1K? Four or five years is all I'd go on a set of stems, then replace.
Last time around I replaced them with aluminium 90deg stems.
May not have to change up the o-ring seal as often. It's mostly completely covered up.

12mm allen socket to get the front axle loose. Don't remember the size for the rear axle nut.
Thanks. I think I will go with new stems/cores just for the heck of it. I do have all the tools for wheel removal/installation.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I tried the Tropicana jug thing and they completely fell apart. I feel like the material has changed...

I'm looking for a new material, but I haven't found a good one yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts