Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the course of the next year or so, I'm planning to do some modification to my bike. I was wondering if there is some sort of holy grail of tool kits for you SV modifiers out there.

I'll be looking to add a Holeshot slip on first. What can I use to cut the can off? I'm looking for cheap, quick, and clean.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Hacksaw, blade backwards

If you take a regular hacksaw, 18 teeth per inch bi-metallic blade, and turn the blade backwards (cut on the pull stroke) you will have no problems cutting the pipe straight and clean.

Instead of spending $$$ on a muffler why not take those bucks and buy a Craftsman tool set? You can get a set with combination wrenches, Allen wrenches, 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" drive socket sets, an assortment of pliers and screwdrivers plus a beam-type torque wrench and a set of 3/8" drive Allen sockets for less money than an aftermarket muffler.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is true...

But if I don't buy the accessories to change up the appearance of my bike, then how much will I use this set?

Do you have a set like this? Do you use it a lot?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
43 years worth

I've been working on cars and bikes for about 43 years, so my tool collection is pretty good.

The reason to have tools is to properly maintain the bike and to learn to do your own mechanical work. The warranty doesn't last forever.

If appearance is important to you then you need a good set of tools to install/remove those items you want to change out. Cans are very expensive for what you get, IMHO. They mostly make the bike louder, although some are aesthetically well designed.

Also, and this is just MHO, the SV is not a very pretty bike no matter what you do to it. I love mine and will keep it until it wears out, but not because of its looks. In the end appearance is for the benefit of the owner, mostly. The vast majority of people won't notice the difference.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Tools are a lifetime investment. If you need a tool just buy it, it will never spoil or go out of style. IMO, appearance mods are a waste of $$, do the suspension mods all SV's need and leave the rest stock. Get some gear and take some riding lessons, riding well in proper gear is the best appearance you can make.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For many of us "of a certain age" our tool selection has been a work in progress for decades so it can be rather hard to say what to start with, how much it costs, and where to get the good stuff. Fortunately quite good quality tools can be had at very reasonable prices. Even Harbor Freight has upped their game over the last 20 years. Buy the best quality you can afford. Good tools last. I have hand tools my dad gave me in the early sixties, still useful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts