Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the look of bikes with the whole back end open between the wheel and the shock. There is no hugger or tool box or plastic deflector mounted on the swing arm in the way. Two questions. 1. How do you remove the tool box compartment? 2. I don't commute on my bike so I hardly ever ride in the rain does it matter that much having your shock exposed to all that road debris? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Isnt it the battery box not the toolbox? Mine just had a bag of tools that was clipped by a strap towards the brake light. The shock will get absolutely filthy but if you clean it and that such I dont think youd have much problems.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that is a difference between the first and second gen bikes the second gen have a plastic box below the battery that houses the tool box. I think I can just cut it off but I want to know for sure and if there is a good way to get it off.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
B.C. said:
I think that is a difference between the first and second gen bikes the second gen have a plastic box below the battery that houses the tool box. I think I can just cut it off but I want to know for sure and if there is a good way to get it off.
correct 2nd gens have it below the battery. as for getting it off i'd look it over really good first then hack it off. my favorite tool for some thing like that would be a dremel with the tiny circular saw blade. just make sure to wear eye protection.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, Dremel with a small cutting wheel will make quick work of the plastic. Just be sure to move the Dremel around a lot or it will melt the plastic (including the part you want to keep!) Try finishing off the surface with a round sanding drum.
1+ on the eye protection.......

dave

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
MagpieTear said:
Slight correction  04 and newer. I think the 03 still had it under the passenger seat
i kinda thought that too but never got a good look at an 03.

i'm kinda thinking about doing this too now actually cuz i want to put on a gixxer shock and i think you have to mod the tool box any way so why not just cut it off so you can show off that shock. ;D plus dirtyness is not an issue for me i'm gonna get a hugger from hole shot before the next season.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
B.a.

Do you think you have to take the whole tail section apart? I don't think I can cut it with a dremel while it's mounted unless I go and buy one of those cable extion things. How do you get that part off the bike? Any Idea?

·
Registered
571 Posts
what if you tried cutting the toolbox of in small sections. just try cutting along the bottom of the battery box for a few inches and then cut down and around towards the front. then go for more. or i bet if you have a rear stand or some other way to get the rear tire off it would be alot easier.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I just cut mine out with a sharp razor. Then, used some sheet metal for the new bottom of the battery box.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good ideas. So if I cut the tool box off there is no bottom to the battery box? Or is that only if I alter the plastic above the tool box compartment? What about the abuse the shock will take? Does it matter? Do I need to get a hugger? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
if i were you I'd try just cutting it while its in there. if I'm not mistaken the whole under part from where the fender goes to the gas tank is one piece (the plastic parts any way) i tried taking it all out once and gave up real quick not to say it can't be done but i dunno if its worth the hassle. i think the cuttin it in sections idea might be the smartest.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I think when I get home tonight from school I might give it a try. If I do I will let you all know how it goes. Hey I might even try and post some pics if I can figure that out! :-\

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'm almost positive you would have to take everything apart to do something like this...read through instructions (or skip to the end) for details why.

The black plastic that goes all the way up to the tail/brake light is one piece all the way down to the tank, including the battery box and tool box.  It is a little time consuming to take it apart, but would be necessary to do it right, I think:

Remove front seat and rear seat

Remove all little black plastic clip thingies:  there are 4 (I think) under the tail, and 2 (I think) on top.  Not really sure how many, just look for 'em and take 'em all out.  To remove them, press the little button in the middle of them with a small screwdriver.  Don't press it all the way through, just until it kinda clicks and gets loose.  they come right out. 

remove small phillips screw on top in the middle...underneath front seat or thereabouts

there are 4 big phillips screws on top to remove

remove rear grab rail (2 bolts)

remove rear seat lock from frame (2 phillips screws and one allen head screw that holds the cable)

disconnect taillight/brakelight wire

gently pull it apart a little towards the front of the bike, and the tail section should slide off, leaving the black plastic tray in place

now...to get the black plastic tray off is a little more tedious.  First, you might have to take off whatever rear fender eliminator you have.  Not sure exactly how the stock fender comes off, but I think it comes off before the big black plastic tray, too.  Sorry, cant remember exactly how the stock fender comes off, it's been a while since I got rid of that thing.

The black plastic undertray is held on with only 4 bolts.  They are on the sides (2 per side) and are easy to get to and remove.  Before you do that, you have to:

Disconnect battery and remove it

Disconnect computer and remove it

Take the fuse box and that little relay thingie next to it out, just hang 'em off the side of the bike

tip over sensor is in front of the battery box, remove it (just clipped on there with rubber just like the fuse box...easy, it's just hard to see what you need to do).

disconnect rubber mud guard thingie from front of battery box.  this took me a while to figure out.  but I just finally got some really long needlenosed pliers down in there and squished them out that way.

take the toolkit out of the box.  this will make it easier for you to manipulate the thing out, since you won't be trying to manipulate it around with that weight up there.

Now your black undertray should come out fairly easily.  Just watch it as you pull it out and make sure nothing is connected.

Once you have this thing out and in your hands, you'll see why you had to pull it out.  There is a support bracket (plastic) that screws to the bottom of the toolbox and the front of the battery box.  I guess you could just whack it off, but there is no way you would be able to unscrew that thing while the thing is still on the bike.

the battery box and toolkit are one piece.  cutting off the toolkit will leave a big hole in the bottom of the battery box.  although the battery will still have a little lip to sit on, I dont think you'd want to have that hole down there...so, you'll need to build a floor in your battery box (simple...just some scrap plywood painted black would be fine, I think).  also would probably need to put some kinda support bracket under there, too to ensure the battery doesnt fall out while you're riding down the road  :eek:

I think this can be done fairly easily, but it is going to be a time consuming task to get everything apart and put it back together for something that (IMO) is not going to make that much of a difference in the appearance of the bike.  But anywho, there ya go...there's your roadmap of how to do it.  Good luck, and let us know how it works out, and post pics!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow thanks for the advice. Ahhhhh that does seem like alot of work. I am so busy with school right now it is going to have to wait till christmas break. I will definetly give you all an update and try and post photos as soon as I get it done.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I contemplated doing this when I was doing my custom fender eliminator. It looks like the tool box does provide some sort of support to the battery, however, so I would be carefull. I would also remove the entire tail and battery, just to get a better view and to avoid cutting something I didn't want to cut. It seems like too much of a hassel to me because you're not really gaining anything (you might loose a few grams of weight.....)

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't look like much action on this subject anymore but I figured I would post anyway just in case someone is still thinking about doing this mod. I had to take the tail/undertail off to get good access to the tool box. Once it was out it was a snap to cut. The battery will still be held in place as normal but I would suggest putting a piece of plastic or something in the bottom of the tray to protect the bottom of the battery being that the tool box area is now removed and that leaves the bottom of the battery exposed. I think it looks much cleaner. Was not hard to do ( I needed the practice taking the bike apart anyway).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts