Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the tittle says, i just took out the caliper but im unable to seperate the brake pads enough for it to go back on to the bike. I already undid the brake fluid. What am i missing here?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Like the tittle says, i just took out the caliper but im unable to seperate the brake pads enough for it to go back on to the bike. I already undid the brake fluid. What am i missing here?
the pads might be hung up on the little brakets that hold them in place.

you might need a c clamp/press to push the pistons in.

did you put new pads on?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually took the calipers of to take the front wheel off , to do some stuff with the suspension. Same pads that the bike has been running for a while now

·
Registered
333 Posts
like the above. Sometimes the pads hang up. try wigging them. If it's the piston that's pushed out too far, you're going to have to push it back in with a c clamp, or brake specific clamp.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Actually took the calipers of to take the front wheel off , to do some stuff with the suspension. Same pads that the bike has been running for a while now
ok, if you hit the brake level at all, it might have pushed the pistons out, just make sure the pads aren't ung up on the brackets that hold them in place and use a c clamp to push them back in.

watch to make sure the reservoir doesn't overflow and spill on anything though, that stuff is gonna eat paint like crazy!

·
Registered
333 Posts
watch to make sure the reservoir doesn't overflow and spill on anything though, that stuff is gonna eat paint like crazy!
I know I've seen someone on here with a pic of them ziptying garbage bags and covering the whole bike in plastic.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, ill try the c clamp, but like i said, the caliper is no longer connected to the brake line so their should be no pressure.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Alright, ill try the c clamp, but like i said, the caliper is no longer connected to the brake line so their should be no pressure.
You took the brake line off? Now you're going to have to bleed the brakes too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
**** i dont have a c clamp. Any other way?

so push the pistons, the things i marked red, back with the c clamp?

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Brush the sides of the calipers clean with a brass toothbrush you get at lowes or homedepot for a buck or so.

That will prolong the life of your seals.

As for pushing those back, I have used crowbars, wide screwdrivers, anything that is wide and flat and sturdy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
sometimes you can get a screwdriver or another wedge type tool in there to pry the pistons back in but be really careful not to mark the parts.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
sorry i can't see pictures while at work, they block photobucket. (i'm not supposed to be on boards either, HE HE HE!!)
But the piston is the round things that are behind the pad.
You will need to bleed the brakes as already stated, since you took off the line.
I personally don't reuse the banjo washers/bushings on brake lines, so you might want to look into getting new ones. And as far as them not having any pressure, well they will still not be easy to push back in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry i can't see pictures while at work, they block photobucket. (i'm not supposed to be on boards either, HE HE HE!!)
But the piston is the round things that are behind the pad.
You will need to bleed the brakes as already stated, since you took off the line.
I personally don't reuse the banjo washers/bushings on brake lines, so you might want to look into getting new ones. And as far as them not having any pressure, well they will still not be easy to push back in.

Thanks bud, and thanks everyone else, im going to try this, and then ill try to bleed the breaks, that's going to be an other adventure. If anyone has a little how to or something of that sort on how to bleed breaks, it would be nice, i've always had my bike serviced, but with money going bye bye, so do the comforts in life.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Brush the sides of the calipers clean with a brass toothbrush you get at lowes or homedepot for a buck or so.

That will prolong the life of your seals.

As for pushing those back, I have used crowbars, wide screwdrivers, anything that is wide and flat and sturdy.
1+ I used those grey scotch pads to clean the pods. If I were you I would take the pods out and clean them good and check the inside of the caliper for the gooey stuff since you already disconnected them.

A write up for bleeding the brakes http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_bleeding_brakes/

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
great job.

After you bleed them, make sure to squeeze the brake lever a few times. That way you know they will stop you before you go riding off through the stop sign into traffic.
What?? Like I'm the only one and none of you have ever done that in your car because you rushed to much??

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Those calipers are suffering from neglect. You want to pump the pistons out, scrub them clean, then put them back in, using a little brake fluid to lubricate them.

If a piston can't be pushed in by finger pressure alone, then the caliper needs an overhaul.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts