Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday evening, ordinary street corner, making a right on a green light, I had just left my buddy Sergio's house, and was pulling onto the main road, took the corner a bit too fast, had some good lean angle (too much on cold, worn out tires I suppose) going, and the front just slid right out.

The damage: broken brake lever, ground down slider, the rest I don't know, my friend rode the bike back to his garage for me. (she's okay)

The injury: I was wearing jeans and sneakers, my Teknic jacket, Teknic gloves, and Shoei helmet. You guessed it, rashed knee, took 10 stitches to seal it back up, and it slammed down pretty hard, so it's all swollen and bruised.

Luckily traffic was light, so I didn't get run down by a car. Bystanders helped me out, and the firestation was a block away, so I got prompt medical attention. Truth be told, I was a little embarrassed by all the attention, firetruck, 2 police cars, and an ambulance showed, up, plus my buddies! My other friend gave me a ride to urgent care, got it cleaned up and stitched, then dropped me off at home. All in all I got lucky and had a very minor crash.

I should be back on two wheels after the stitches come out. 2 weeks to go...  :'(

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Glad to hear you are relatively ok. Hope the knee heals up quickly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Damn, Hope you heal quickly my man. I look forward to my next ride with you, and learning some of your tricks once I get my leathers (Student loans are great).

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Mizatt said:
The injury: I was wearing jeans . You guessed it, rashed knee, took 10 stitches to seal it back up, and it slammed down pretty hard, so it's all swollen and bruised.
:'(
Get better soon, sorry to hear about the accident.  I know at least 4 of people who generally wear jeans and have had this problem.  My buddy has rash all over his butt/hip from a spill back in Dec.  I always wear leather or Cordura pants and have been down and have never (yet) been rashed or stitches.  I ground down the knee of a pair of leathers pretty good but that's it.  I bought a pair of Draggin jeans but after looking at my leathers I won't even wear those.  Guess I'm a big wuss, but it's worked for me so far.  Think about a pair of aramid, cordura or leather pants in your future.  Hopefully you'll never have to show everyone roadrash again (no guarantees).  

It sucks to get hurt, I'm with you on that.  Take care.

Matt

G

·
oh damn! Glad you are (relatively) OK.
What a way to bookend your road trip - yeah I read that - I used to live out there. Sooo jealous.  8)
Heal up!

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
10 stitches?  :eek:  That's pretty un-lucky for a low speed low side!

At least it was nothing to serious...

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I assumed you don't own leathers, sorry if it was incorrect assumption.  Have one friend that has them and wears jeans most of the time--he's a lucky guy to date.  You just never know I guess.  Nuff said, shuttin my trap.

Matt

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the support guys!

I do own leathers, and I wear them everytime I go out performance riding, but I guess riding around town or just to run errands doesn't mean you are impervious to crashing!

I'll probably pick up some textile overpants for commuting and chill rides, that way I still have some protection for the lower body, and the convenience of comfy jeans underneath.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I am not in any way suggesting that you should have, but did you get a ticket from the cops?

When I have been at the Dragon, friends that have crashed have got tickets. :-\

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Glad you're ok. I had a similar experience when I hit some ice on my 50cc scooter in early December. Going around a corner at about 5mph, hit some ice and before I knew it I was face first on the ground. My only injury--a broken right ankle (3 seperate fractures acutually). I've been in a cast ever since, luckily I didn't need surgery. I have also purchased a set of riding boots to prevent another similar injury. I consider myself to be lucky for not receiving any other injuries at all. I get the cast off tomorrow though, and hopefully I'll be riding my recent purchase (2000 SV650) very soon. Hope the knee heals quickly.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I had a little experience with Newtons Law this fall that convinced me beyond a doubt the
wisdom of WATTGATT.  My MotoGP Grid pants were really scuffed and banged up and I
did not even get a bruise on my legs.  My shoulders did bang down pretty hard on the
asphalt and my shoulder girdle joints are still sore 3 months later. 

Yeah it is a pain in the butt to gear up each and every time, but recovery time from an accident
more than makes up the difference.  The armor on my Grid pants is well placed and I wouldn't
hesitate a second to recommend this line of clothing to someone.  It is not a commuter pant
that you can wear over street clothes.  I wear them on any non commuter trip over ten miles.
I wear my commuter pants for everything else. Those slip right over my clothes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Damn, man.

Sorry to hear about that. Thankfully both you and the bike only sustained light damage.

Heal up well. As with Buddha, you've got to teach me some stuff.

We'll see you soon.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once again, thanks for the advice and support guys, and no, I did not get any tickets from the cops present. They were cool, thankfully. That's really got to SUCK - get in a crash, get hurt, hurt the bike, AND get a ticket? OUCH!

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Mizatt said:
Once again, thanks for the advice and support guys, and no, I did not get any tickets from the cops present. They were cool, thankfully. That's really got to SUCK - get in a crash, get hurt, hurt the bike, AND get a ticket? OUCH!
no kidding.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Mizatt said:
That's really got to SUCK - get in a crash, get hurt, hurt the bike, AND get a ticket? OUCH!
Happened to me :mad: some people just SUCK.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry to hear. I ride paranoid in the cold and the rain. Went down at about 20 mph once with some rash on the knee that hit but my jeans didn't have a mark on them. Strange.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
ouch,the knee injuries are the worst,IMO.I had jeans on when i went down back in august,no stitches but i had a small crater in my knee cap.It sucked,it's got a nice scar on it too,probably the size of a quarter.I'm going to invest in some textile pants come spring i think...

glad you're doing alright,heal up quick and fix that bike man. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts