Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Get the M4 full system for the sound and for the knowledge that it works. That said, you don't need any kind of pipe to wheelie. SV's wheelie great, of course maybe I am comparing it to the Hawks I used to ride... ;D The 14t sprocket will work fine, too, and will make it musch easier to roll it up in first, but it also is not necessary. The bottom line is that you just need to practice and not think about your parts.

I suggest you forget about using the clutch at all because it is hard to modulate when you are concentrating on not flipping over on your lid. Just get the rpm up to ~5000 in first at a steady speed and little by little start whacking the throttle open, quickly, but smoothly. You will figure out the exact fell/rpm on your own with practice. Start slowly and just get familiar with how it feels. Once you feel that the front wheel starts to get a little air, start giving it a gentle tug as the big hits it's torque peak. It should come up very easily. Just remember to grip the tank gently with your knees and keep your foot on the rear brake just in case. If you panic and mash the brake, you'll smach the bike down, so try not to. That's a lot better than going all the way over tho'.

Anyway, there is no secret magical advice. Just practice, practice some more, and make sure it's always under safe conditions: full gear and NO traffic!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
yah don't go messing with your sprockets. unless your going to be using it as a straight up stunt bike there is no reason to do it. i ride with a kid who rides a cbr 600 and he screwed with the sprockets and he still can't wheelie. in the end wheelies all come down to skill and practice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the advice BMXr. I suppose I just assumed that I should have enough power to pull, like on a dirt bike. However, I will take your advice, and steer clear of the sprocket for now, and focus on skills. Thanks alot folks. Gotta great forum here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the way i do wheelies standing up is...

stand up on the bike rolling in second gear at about ~25mph. gun it until you feel it start pulling hard (you will feel the powerband). close the throttle shut while pushing down, and gun it full throttle while pulling up on the bars. it takes a few times to get the balls/get everything timed right, but with some practice you can get it high enough to be on the balance point. of course, i dont stay up as long as i probably could because of the whole oil issue.

also, ive done a few clutch ups in second gear from a 20mph roll. they are alot easier to do once you get the balls, once again. its just that if i do more than 2, my clutch starts slipping, and i can just imagine how awesome that is for it. im trying to lay off the clutch ups, but they are addictive. i guess after i burn it out i definately wont be doing anymore.

first gear is the easiest to get up, but its just such a short gear and the bike has so much torque that it just comes up, and its time for it to go back down. you can try getting it up in first gear and shifting into second without the clutch (i can never do it with the clutch). but it has to be up pretty high in first for it to stay up when you get to second.

hope that helps... just try it out somewhere where you wont hit anything/anyone.

also, when i did my gsxr1k rear shock, the wheelies came up alot easier. i know someone said softer is better, but i think its the opposite, atleast in my case. when you think about it, if it was softer, it would be absorbing all that thrust forward on the rear shock. if you stiffen it up, it does have so much to absorb.... egh.. hard to explain what im thinking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
onepointone said:
the way i do wheelies standing up is...

stand up on the bike rolling in second gear at about ~25mph. gun it until you feel it start pulling hard (you will feel the powerband). close the throttle shut while pushing down, and gun it full throttle while pulling up on the bars. it takes a few times to get the balls/get everything timed right, but with some practice you can get it high enough to be on the balance point. of course, i dont stay up as long as i probably could because of the whole oil issue.

also, ive done a few clutch ups in second gear from a 20mph roll. they are alot easier to do once you get the balls, once again. its just that if i do more than 2, my clutch starts slipping, and i can just imagine how awesome that is for it. im trying to lay off the clutch ups, but they are addictive. i guess after i burn it out i definately wont be doing anymore.

first gear is the easiest to get up, but its just such a short gear and the bike has so much torque that it just comes up, and its time for it to go back down. you can try getting it up in first gear and shifting into second without the clutch (i can never do it with the clutch). but it has to be up pretty high in first for it to stay up when you get to second.

hope that helps... just try it out somewhere where you wont hit anything/anyone.

also, when i did my gsxr1k rear shock, the wheelies came up alot easier. i know someone said softer is better, but i think its the opposite, atleast in my case. when you think about it, if it was softer, it would be absorbing all that thrust forward on the rear shock. if you stiffen it up, it does have so much to absorb.... egh.. hard to explain what im thinking.
I have the same ideas about the rear shock. I cannot prove that this is the case, but that is my way of thinking. That is why I started this thread. However, I have certainly recieved some good knowledge toboot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
spuds said:
sorry mtfunk...i kinda threadjacked this with the standing 2nd gear wheelies..... sorry
Dont apologize. I want to learn how to do wheelies too. And I love to hear other peoples experiences and what works for them. Keep on keepin' on.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.