Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member and SVS Rider. I have an '05 naked. M4 coming this week. When I try to pull a wheelie, it seems like I have to dump the clutch too hard. If I "stiffen" the rear suspension, will my torque be sufficient enough to get the front end up with control? Is there another mod to improve the torque enough to get the front end off the ground?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
softer rear makes it easier. try sitting further back on the seat too.

until you get some mods you may find bouncing the fornt is the "best" way to get the front up.

don't keep it up to long either, the oil pump tends to starve and you'll cook your shiny new motor right quick!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have been snooping around this forum for awhile now. And I see people changing front suspension, rear suspension and pipes (aside from cosmetics). Do you recommend some mods for torque or HP. I will have my M4 by Friday, and a power commander to follow in a couple weeks -- as money will allow.

At what point will my oil pump cut off? Certain angle? I have never heard that, and I appreciate the insight.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
is your M4 a slip-on or full system? You'll only get a performance increase form a full system...
I'd also look into air filters but don't know about which are best for 03+. After you get filter & pipe you'll need to re-map... you might want a 14 tooth front sprocket too, they're cheap and help lots for off-the-line power.

I don't know what angle the oil starvation occurs at but I don't think it's very high. I'd definitely keep the wheelies short though. Try a search and you'll see what I mean.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am only getting the Slip-on. I was told it helped with low-mid range power. I will definately get a K&N when its due.

14 tooth sproket ey? I will definately look into that. I imagine that if it increase low end, I probably loose some top end speed, but probably a small price to pay if it gets me where i want to go. Thanks alot for you help!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
MTFunk said:
I am only getting the Slip-on.  I was told it helped with low-mid range power.  I will definately get a K&N when its due. 

14 tooth sproket ey?  I will definately look into that.  I imagine that if it increase low end, I probably loose some top end speed, but probably a small price to pay if it gets me where i want to go.  Thanks alot for you help!
Slip on will not yeild more power or change the torque curve for that matter. Don't waste your money on the filter or PCIII either, neither will make a difference with the slip-on..

The gearing change (14T front) will give better acceleration (and wheelie potential) but it will cost you top end speed.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate your input fellas.

I have heard that I may experience a "popping" when the engine brakes after I put on the new pipe. I hear that the PCIII will help with this and perhaps improve performance. Tony mentions that this is not the case. Do I have to go with the full Exhaust system to see improvement? And I read the thread about 14 tooth sprocket. I see alot of concern about chain wear or damage. Will I have to get a different chain? Or just keep an eye on mine, and inevitably upgrade?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
MTFunk said:
I appreciate your input fellas. 

I have heard that I may experience a "popping" when the engine brakes after I put on the new pipe.  I hear that the PCIII will help with this and perhaps improve performance.  Tony mentions that this is not the case.  Do I have to go with the full Exhaust system to see improvement?  And I read the thread about 14 tooth sprocket.  I see alot of concern about chain wear or damage.  Will I have to get a different chain?  Or just keep an eye on mine, and inevitably upgrade?
The stock exhaust is not so restrictive, it just weighs a ton. The only restriction on the exhaust side is the pipe (mostly the small diameter and shape of the "Y" junction where the 2 pipes meet). Most after market full exhausts will yield a small (compared to a lot of other bikes) HP gain if the fuel map is changed to accommodate.

Bottom line...

Don't expect any HP gain with a slip-on, but you will lose some weight. Don't expect more than 5hp with a full, and you will need to remap fuel to get that. If you are popping after a slip-on install then a PCIII can help (popping is either a too lean or a too rich condition) but I've never seen this on a 2nd gen.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I saw a power gain of around 2bhp with a slip-on and Renegade air kit... And that was a pretty restrictive slipon too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have an 03 sv650 naked and i have found the best way i can get the front wheel off the ground with control is to just roll the acceleration in first gear only,i start off at about 20 mph or lower,get the rpms to 5000 quickly let off than hit it again and the front tire just comes right up,be be aware of letting off tyo quickly or your chances of havin children becomes increasingly questionable,my left testicle is still to sore from the last nut buster

·
Registered
551 Posts
rannico said:
i have an 03 sv650 naked and i have found the best way i can get the front wheel off the ground with control is to just roll the acceleration in first gear only,i start off at about 20 mph or lower,get the rpms to 5000 quickly let off than hit it again and the front tire just comes right up,be be aware of letting off tyo quickly or your chances of havin children becomes increasingly questionable,my left testicle is still to sore from the last nut buster
+1 about the nuts...i suc at wheelies..and i do that all the time...

·
Registered
13 Posts
the hardest thing i have found about wheelies is learning to keep acceleratin past the pint where you think youre gonna go to far and flip back because in actuality youre not really that high off the ground i found that havin someone video tape you while your practicing is good for knowin where your at visually which helps alot and you definately cant be afraid cus if you are your nuts pay the price everytime

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i have an 05 naked and its easy to wheelie in first.  i have both the front and rear suspension bumped up 2 settings from stock and a snorklectomy.  to wheelie in first gear all i do is sit all the way back roll on the throttle and then let it go and then crank it hard.  no pulling on the handle bars is required.  its also possible to do 2nd gear sit downs but it requires a bit of muscling.  

·
Registered
13 Posts
im a skinny ass dude so whereeve ri sit in first gear is fine even all the way forward i have no problem gettin it up but second is way to hard ive never been able to get it off the ground,i heard you got to sit way back hit the gas hard and pull like hell on those bars?how do you do it in second?

·
Registered
551 Posts
i can get sittin down 2nd gear wheelies really good with the stock set-up. im trying to get the balls to do a standing 2nd gear one tho...
any tips any1?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well if you get some of that penis enlarging cream and rub it on your balls instead of your cock that might help... otherwise stick to a diet of raw eggs and tuna for 6 months and give getting off and you should experience atleast a temporary swelling in that area...

...compress the front springs, roll-on (fast!) and pop up at the same time... lean forward to balance and if it helps put you right foot on the rear foot-peg to give you more balance... and practice practice practice...

·
Registered
123 Posts
SpeedyBoy said:
...compress the front springs, roll-on (fast!) and pop up at the same time... lean forward to balance and if it helps put you right foot on the rear foot-peg to give you more balance... and practice practice practice...
I recommend against the bit about the right foot going back to the rear peg. If anything, put the left foot back, but not the right. If you are a bit overzealous with the throttle, you'll want the use of your rear brake - if you go past 12 o'clock, especially with the extra weight on the rear peg, engine breaking might not cut it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
XLR8 said:
I recommend against the bit about the right foot going back to the rear peg. If anything, put the left foot back, but not the right. If you are a bit overzealous with the throttle, you'll want the use of your rear brake - if you go past 12 o'clock, especially with the extra weight on the rear peg, engine breaking might not cut it.
Meh, what you say makes good sense... though force of habit will make me still do it the way I describe, I guess I rely way too havily on the massive engine braking of the SV as opposed to the lame rear brake I have... ;D

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
stand ups are hard to get just because it feels wierd at first but once you get over that they aren't so bad. the best way to do it is to stand up with your knees bent slightly and centered over the seat push down hard on the handle bars and as it starts to rebound gas it and lean back at the same time. its best to practice this some place with out traffic possibly going up hill on clean flat pavement. take it slow at first little bit by little bit and keep in mind the front wheel feels alot higher than it is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts