Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Middle TN. I have not been able to ride for a week. I have been on vacation and came back on Sunday. It has been raining every day since I came back. I know we need the rain. BUT I WANT TO GO FOR A RIDE SO BAD. I am still new to motorcycles and haven't rode in the rain yet. Anyone else getting so much rain they can't ride? Not suppose to clear up until Sunday in my area.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
no rain here....

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Only one way to learn about riding in the rain. I would recommend taking a short trip around a route you know. Riding in the rain is no different than riding normally except you cant lean the bike like you are racing around corners.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
...and you gotta be SMOOOOOTH, no herky jerky motions...

paint stripes, manhole covers, tar snakes are a b i o t c h when wet...verrry slickrery...

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
We haven't had rain for weeks now, and temps have been 90 to 100+.

Riding in the rain requires you to be smoother with your inputs and react earlier than usual. Good tires play a huge part in safety and confidence in the rain. Having a good feel for your front brake is important. Most people will use more rear brake in the rain.

Slow down, think ahead, and be smooth.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I love riding in the rain, its just exciting... a lot of people call that "white knuckle" but honestly if you look at it as a learning experience, it is really a great way to practice riding.

I say this because riding in the first place require that you pay lots of attention, it requires that you be smooth (regardless of road conditions you should be smooth). Poor weather riding will help you to learn a lot.

And especially if you are going out for a brief ride, don't get hung up on being dry... unless you have a great set of rain gear you are going to get wet... honestly its just water, come back in later and dry off.

Also- since you are on a SV (i assume since you are on SVR) - keep an eye out for larger puddles and wet areas, water gets into that first spark plug well and drowns the plug- if the bike starts running poorly this is probably the problem (It will be running on 1 cylinder...)

It will try and stall out but if you just keep the throttle cracked open a little bit she will take you home just fine on the rear cylinder.

What ever you do- don't panic, look and plan ahead, if you have to do something fast or in an emergency do it as smooth and calm as possible.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It's been raining all week in Austin, stormed so bad my cover blew off and I couldn't find it(good thing it was a cheap one from Big lots). Today is the first day we have a clear sky, but pm showers are to be expected. The only good thing keeping my patience at bay is that I ordered a good bit of parts for the bike.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
My cut off is usually 50%. Here in Chicago when its consistently 90+ degrees, thunderstorms can spark up at any time. Its a matter of getting used to it and being smooth. Tires play a huge role, as well as the rest of the bike.

Easiest way to learn is take an MSF class in the rain. Someone else's bike and if you already have your M, theres nothing to lose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here in San Antonio its been on and off again for the better part of the week. I took the bike out last night for the first time ever in wet conditions, and as PCGURU mentioned, it required me to be much more smooth in everything I did. While a learning experience it was, Im pretty sure I'll be staying away from rainy conditions in the future. Wasn't a fan of the rear tire shifting to the side while going over a painted strip in the intersection of my neighborhood.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I understand you pain, I'm in Chattanooga and its been non stop. I'm starting to feel like Noah....

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am in Middle TN. I have not been able to ride for a week. I have been on vacation and came back on Sunday. It has been raining every day since I came back. I know we need the rain. BUT I WANT TO GO FOR A RIDE SO BAD. I am still new to motorcycles and haven't rode in the rain yet. Anyone else getting so much rain they can't ride? Not suppose to clear up until Sunday in my area.
Im also feeling your pain. Got my first bike 2 weeks ago, went out of town for the weekend and came back to (from what the weather forecast says) 2 weeks of thunderstorms. I live in Houston. I want this rain to go away soo bad! :(

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
203 Posts
The only thing about rain here is that it rains so infrequently it becomes very dangerous when it first starts raining.

When the water running off the road looks soapy it's time to find an overpass to hang out for a while.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Trade ya for a day,104° here. :)
You will have to ride in the rain ,sometime!
Why wait untill it's cold,to learn?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Easy does it. If you're slowing and coming to a stop, use both the back and front brakes. Stay out of the middle of the lane where you're likely to find the oily buildup on the roadway. And watch out for sheetflow, that is, the water running across the road. Hit it too fast, and well, you'll go for a ride, just not in the direction you want.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Easy does it. If you're slowing and coming to a stop, use both the back and front brakes. Stay out of the middle of the lane where you're likely to find the oily buildup on the roadway. And watch out for sheetflow, that is, the water running across the road. Hit it too fast, and well, you'll go for a ride, just not in the direction you want.
You know the section on I75 North coming out of Atlanta just past the 85 split? Right after Northside and Howell Mill but before Moore's Mill? The bridge right there on 75 doesn't drain well for whatever reason. I hydroplaned my bike there two years ago; one of the scariest experiences yet... Even hitting that in a car is enough to slow you down 10mph instantly.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Not any better in Knoxville. Hasnt been pouring, but drizzling all day, everyday for the past week. Monday was clear for a few hours so I took the opportunity to hit the Dragon, but it DUMPED on me as I was heading back. Alcoa Hwy (US129 N)+ rain = pure hell.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts