Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I'm an over enthusiast...

I just finished the OEM fairings setup.. and now I'm about to sell them off to fund new skins. So meanwhile I'm looking for a GSX-R headlight for a temporary setup as I swap back to naked.

To do list:
Engine:
Cam Swap
Custom Full Exhaust
PCIII Custom Map
Custom High Mount Exhaust

Aesthetics:
Redo HID with LED Ring
Full Fairings w/custom Paint
Repaint RIMs

Someone needs to tell me to stop modding and ride more.

Fellow SVRiders... my name is Jim.. and I'm a modaholic... :(

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
One of the reasons I got a second bike was so I can continue to ride while I mod one of the bikes.

Thats a non-issue. I'd rather ride. Sure there are things you can do to a bike, I'm sure there's a stock bike that fits your needs. Mine could be a few bikes and then start changing things around. But if I would pick one that met the closest, it would've been the Z1000 which I now own.

Calculate all the $ you spent that you will never get back. Thats money that you could've gotten another bike, maybe new, maybe used.

Sure there's the satisfaction of making something your own. Sure there's the joy of working on a bike. I felt it. Personally, scanning ebay, craigs, and different sites for parts and ideas got alil annoying. Took time away from what I enjoyed more.

Just ride the **** thing. If you want to work on a bike, get a 2nd one.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I don't think I could live/sleep having a bike that attracks too much attention, just thinking some hater might do something to it or that it might get stolen.
I have a pretty much stock bike and I check on it a lot when I leave it outside. Can't imagine if it was custom/personalized. I think having a bike like that, you have to be on it all the time...

I've seen your bike have three different stages, and all of them look awesome, but I stick with the very first one.
If moding is something you really enjoy that's nice and go for it, surprise us one more time.
Where do ppl get so many ideas for mods?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Im with you, Mav.
I feel like Im constantly modding my SV, well, because I usually am. Im not one to be happy with things in their stock, original form. I dont want something that looks just like everyone elses. Im all for putting your own personalization and customization on things.
In fact, I picked up my DRZ because I wanted to have another bike to ride while the weather is crappy or while the SV is under the knife.
As for the money thing, I dont look at it like its "money I could have spent on another bike" but more like its "the cost of doing business", except that the business is that of modifying characteristics of the bike that Im not satisfied with.

modaholics FTW.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
modding is for nioobcakes.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
But the purpose of being in business is to turn a profit, which in this case, the cost of business is not even breaking even. I can't in good conscious tell someone to spend money they're not going to get back. But I understand what you're trying to say.

I admire Mav's bike in all 3 phases. The one in his avatar the most. But when he tried to sell it not that long ago, I believe for $4000, I thought it wouldn't last an hour posted. I expected to see the thing sold by the 2nd response.

$4000 was more than enough and a steal for that bike. I remember reading posts during each of his builds on how people would love to own the bike, how they;d jump all over it if he decided to sell, how they wish they had a 2nd gen with a sssa. And what happened?

Mav, Keep the bike as is. Unless you're making the cash that can easily afford your addiction to modding, then continue, but if you're like me and feeling the economy on my shoulders, then keep the bike as it is. It's more than fine.

Considering a got a pm from someone. My opinion should not be misunderstood as insult or cause to offend. If Mav posted this thread because inside he sincerly feels he doesn't want to mod, then we should give him opinions on both sides. I highly doubt he posted to get attention.

Again, just enjoy the bike and ride it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yeah, I have that problem too. I always had at LEAST one project bike going (bicycles). So with the motorcycle, I've got the modding bug bad (pretty much as bad as with bicycles). THe bugaboo with that is only having the one motorcycle.

Eventually I'll have something like a Ninja 250 to be the project bike. Or so I'll always have at least ONE bike in running condition all the time.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I am a modaholic too. :(

Can't help it really, I want something no one else haves. then seeing the 2nd gen yellow with gsxr forks made me sad, then I moved on to a new SA and it seems I will be one of two when it is done. then add the clear clutch cover (1st edition ;) ) and I'm alone finally.

Money can get tight but if you don't have a hobby than what point is there in trying to maintain this life.

What I mean is; why should we continue working daily if we can't enjoy ourselves?
I enjoy riding sure, but I enjoy modding so much more. Im about to shove a LT1 w/ T56 into a FCtII just for fun.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bah... looks like I'll be going back to naked or at least HALF naked again. Anyone got a left side rearset?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
i will have both of them available in two weeks when I get home. If you can point me in the direction of a brake line that is 2" longer than our rear to fit these gsxr rearsets that is

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i will have both of them available in two weeks when I get home. If you can point me in the direction of a brake line that is 2" longer than our rear to fit these gsxr rearsets that is
Brake line or reservoir hose? Just order some tygon tubing and use that as a reservoir, or fab a bracket to mount the reservoir.

Lol... I'm not waiting two weeks.. I'll have a new pair of rearsets by Wednesday.

My back is a little sore...wonder how badly I banged up the noggin.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
wait the resouvour? I thought it was the brake line needing longer. shiat if I knew it was the hose I never would have sweated it. thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
I feel what Enrico's saying. There's always more, more, more I'd like to do to the bike, but I'd also like to be able to sell it for reasonably close to what I have in it, minus depreciation, in case I spot some other bike I just gotta have. I plan to keep the SV, but who knows? And I would be super pi--ed off if one day I look up and find I have $9k invested in a $4k bike. I'd be thinking: Dam. I could've bought a Duc for that!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I feel what Enrico's saying. There's always more, more, more I'd like to do to the bike, but I'd also like to be able to sell it for reasonably close to what I have in it, minus depreciation, in case I spot some other bike I just gotta have. I plan to keep the SV, but who knows? And I would be super pi--ed off if one day I look up and find I have $9k invested in a $4k bike. I'd be thinking: Dam. I could've bought a Duc for that!
I'd rather have my girly SV, and continue my modding......I was going to say modding frenzy, but I've got nuthin on some of you guys.......:)

Anywho, I would rather have my girly bike, and keep modding it, than have a Ducati and be afraid to change something on it. I have no plans to sell my SV.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't actually want a Ducati just because I wouldn't want to have to adjust those valves every year (7500 miles). That's a little much. Just a good example of a sexy bike. Nothing out there now that I'd rather have, especially with the (modest) changes I've made to the SV. But just in case . . . I don't want to ridiculously overspend on this one.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I'm done modding. Forget the full exhaust and cam swap.

Actually, one purely functional mod... I'd like to figure out how fab a rack for my hardcases...

Maybe a radar detector... too much trouble lately with the men in blue. :-(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts