Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I mean, if you WANT to check the chains for stretch, you can while you check/adjust the valves. You can also check the cams and journals for wear while you're in there, but most people don't just replace those things for the sake of maintenance. They replace them when they are worn.

We don't generally take the heads off for maintenance purposes. Most people just do valve adjustments and oil changes and spark plugs until there's actually a noticeable problem. I had the shop that does my valve checks throw a set of chain tensioners in it somewhere in the 40-50k range because I was chasing an intermittent rattle.

Eventually it'll start to burn oil but that's usually way closer to 100k. At that point, some people have done valve seals, and some have gone as far as jugs and rings. A lot of people just pick up a younger used engine.

That said, it's your bike and your money and/or time, so do what you feel is right. If you have the time and skills and tools to go in and check everything for wear and replace anything substandard, then by all means!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Welcome to the forum, but please make sure to post in the right section next time.

31k miles is barely past the adolescent stage for this engine if it has been taken care of as per manual. Any modern engine will go past 100k miles easily with basic maintenance and care. SVs can do 125k miles, 130k miles and more (there's a thread somewhere with a 200k+ bike). Lemmy at RevZilla has written the ultimate article on this whole high mileage misperception.

Download the service manual here, read it, do the periodic maintenance as per the schedule on page 24, check the oil level regularly (they can burn oil a bit if stressed), and ride as much as you can.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My 03 had 47,000 miles, my 06 currently has 37,800 miles. Just keep up with your 15k valve checks, spark plugs and oil changes. Your bike will last a long time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got 28,500 on my 02 and not even a hint of engine trouble or wear. Same for the transmission. These are very well-built bikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts