Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new tomahawk tire should be delivered within the next couple of hours so this thread will serve as the thread to provide information to all you curious people who are wondering about these tires. It seems as if i am the first person to actually break down and buy one of these tires and I am looking forward to testing them for us all. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
The idea of re-treaded moto tires is awful.... good luck with that.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are not "re-treads" like you are thinking...go read the info on em cycletires.com has some info

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
acf1073 said:
they are not "re-treads" like you are thinking...go read the info on em cycletires.com has some info
They most absolutely are..... they are made from used carcasses of some particularly old tire designs.

EDIT:
We use radial tire carcasses to remold our proprietary rubber process onto the used tire carcass

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I've seen them in person and I wasn't crazy about the fit & finish.

If I were still a poor college student I'd use them. ;)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Nudist said:
The idea of re-treaded moto tires is awful.... good luck with that.
Is it much worse than the idea of a retread airplane tire? Granted they have multiple tires but they're going to be under a tremendous amount of stress when the wheel first hits the ground too.

·
Registered
861 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol...i was kinda amused at the phrase too...........man,im shocked. some of you guys are very critical of these tires without having ever owned em....thats why i must give them the SV real world testing. for all of our benefit. I do it for you all....lol

·
Registered
861 Posts
Its a risk to reward thing. We know a couple things:

They're making them because its cheaper to retread an old tire than it is to make a new one
The company has had problems with the colored tires
The tires are heavier than most

Personally I'd rather spend the couple extra bucks and put proven rubber on the bike than save a couple $ in a very critical place. I don't run avon tires either and those are pretty well proven at this point.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i am also considering buying a set to try out. SInce they are cheap, you can afford to get a softer compound and if they wear out twice as fast, who cares. Please keep us informed

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
halfway said:
Its a risk to reward thing. We know a couple things:

They're making them because its cheaper to retread an old tire than it is to make a new one
The company has had problems with the colored tires
The tires are heavier than most

Personally I'd rather spend the couple extra bucks and put proven rubber on the bike than save a couple $ in a very critical place. I don't run avon tires either and those are pretty well proven at this point.
+1 - Good for stunna's a draggers, but that’s it IMO.... seeing them in person, you can see how bulbous they look compared to the original tire.... some of the Dunlops they use are already wide and have crappy profiles.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok,it just got here.....i opened it up and i will be damned if the treads didnt just fall right off on the floor.....bwuhahahaha......no seriously,intitial impression is this : the tire seems to be slightly heavier than others this size but not by much. the quality of manufacture seems to be as good as any other tire ive seen. when i first looked at it my immediate thought was "man this thing has got some deep treads" maybe the tire will be a good long mileage wearer it smells like rubber,tastes like rubber and feels like rubber....yessir,i think its a motorcycle tire

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Why are people such tightwads when it comes to tires? :dontknow:

Cheap tires suck, on bikes and on cars. If you can't feel the difference you aren't going fast enough.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
wonderjosh said:
Why are people such tightwads when it comes to tires? :dontknow:

Cheap tires suck, on bikes and on cars. If you can't feel the difference you aren't going fast enough.
According to him, Michelin sucks ... :dontknow:

Anxious to see what his final take will be on these tires. :confused4:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Currently said:
According to him, Michelin sucks ... :dontknow:

Anxious to see what his final take will be on these tires. :confused4:
Yes, with him being a uber qualified tire expert and all. ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Tires are the last thing I personally would want to go cheap on, what am I talking about I still have the stock dunlops on :BangHead:

1 - 20 of 161 Posts