Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever try these tires?There on E bay alot cheaper then others because they are remanufactured but they seem to sell alot and they swear by them.Just wanted to know if anyone ever used them and what do you think?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I don't know any "riders" that like them, mostly just the stunt crowd because their cheap and come in pretty colors. I've heard their even more slippery than Shinkos...."slick as cat cvm on a honeybun" were the exact words I heard from the local track day leader.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
If money is an issue Shinko...not going to rival the big brands but they won't kill you. The absolute worse tires I rode were tomahawks.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
TTTOOOMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haaahahaha! That was my first thought! And you even found the old thread :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
I don't know any "riders" that like them, mostly just the stunt crowd because their cheap and come in pretty colors. I've heard their even more slippery than Shinkos...."slick as cat cvm on a honeybun" were the exact words I heard from the local track day leader.
That would explain why my front feels like it does with the Tomahawk on it.

Riding today in some nice winds to and from work, the wind was coming from my left, and it almost felt as if the front was sliding when the wind would hit me. I was thinking it was the road, which it was probably partially, but now I know it was probably also partially the tire.

Lookin at 3 days of rain here, so my first chance I'll probably get to get the new rubber on is wednesday or thursday.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Resurrect thread from the Dead!!!:)

Reason being I just ordered a Tomahawk T3 for the rear. Figured....why not? First thing up this Spring (if it EVER gets here) will be some WFO mapping with the newly installed wideband and this absolutely kills the tire in short order.

Have a mostly burnt off 009 Shinko on it now....so we'll be able to make a direct comparison with the next up the list in 'Bargain Basement' tireland. The 009 worked OK for normal street riding, though it would spin sometimes in the lower gears. At first thought the clutch was slipping....nope, tire.

The 009 didn't last as long as the 011 it replaced which set my all-time mileage record at just over 6000. Note that this is farther than two PR2's made it so the 011 is a pretty long wearing tire with excellent handling thrown in to boot. The Tomahawk has even thicker tread than the 011 so it might just have a shot at the mileage title.

It's been several years now since the original Tomahawk ridicule on this site...so I figured a whole new batch of posters can have fun with this. And..just a reminder to those all primed to offer that they'd NEVER ride on a 'recap'...if you've ever flown on a Commercial Airliner...you HAVE. They're actually not permitted to use new tires as the carcasses haven't been proven to be sound. The new tires that are produced have very minimal tread depth and this is sacrificed on a wheel dyno until the carcass has shown that it'll take the abuse. Then it is remanufactured (not retreaded..there IS a difference) and flown. The Tomahawk is remanufactured and inspected so it stands a very good chance of being sound. How it'll grip is yet to be determined....and I'll not run one on the front as this is where the handling characteristics live and I don't want to mess with that.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
My 2nd SV came with Stinkos installed by the PO. Absolutely the WORST tire ever made, or so I thought. These Tomohawks would appear to be worse, if that's possible. Retread motorcycle tires? Not in my world. Look at it this way: your tires are THE most important safety device on your bike. Bad tires can mean a really bad day. Why cut corners there? Your life is worth more than the 100 bucks you'll save.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Ah....we'll see.:) It's only the back tire so I can't see it being dangerous so long as it doesn't come apart...which it's not likely to do. Worst thing it'll do is spin...but I plan on lots of that anyhow, so it might be a plus!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts