Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing special here, I'm simply in that "just back from a nice little ride" mood. It's sunny here and 25 this morning.

I was just a tad chilly in my Drystar gloves, standard riding gear, and no neck gaiter. I can walk to work in about 20 minutes, but this morning it took me 30 minutes to get there on the SV. ;D I took a little detour over to the Mississippi River and rode the empty, curvy, nearly-no-intersections, West River Road in and out of the river bottoms along the east edge of downtown, heading south with the sun on my face, taking it nice and easy due to a little bit of sand here and there. I then turned away from the river at the south edge and headed through downtown to work, which was back on the other side. Minneapolis' downtown grid is angled, so despite the tall buildings, the street was well lit all the way back. At one point, a 40-something guy going the other direction in a shiny black Supra made a couple of quick honks and a big thumbs up as he went by at a pace slow enough to smile, gesticulate, and enjoy; I had my hand on the clutch at the time and made do with a good nod. At work, even though I was late enough for all of the free parking spots to be gone, I smiled as I found a sunny concrete island just across the isle from the CEO and walked inside, helmet in hand.

All in all it was what would be considered a mediocre ride when in mid-season but, after the weather we've had, it was a wonderful start to a work day. That's my ramble for the morning. :)

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Sounds like a nice commute. I rode to work today also. It was right around freezing, but the sun was shining so it didn't feel too chilly. Was running a bit late and fortunately the interstate was pretty clear, so it was a speed limit ride all the way in. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a nice commute. I rode to work today also. It was right around freezing, but the sun was shining so it didn't feel too chilly. Was running a bit late and fortunately the interstate was pretty clear, so it was a speed limit ride all the way in. :thumbsup:
What were you wearing? At highway speeds and below 40F I get cold without an extra layer. How are road conditions this time of year?

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
What were you wearing? At highway speeds and below 40F I get cold without an extra layer. How are road conditions this time of year?
I had on my First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket with inner liner, and some Orina winter gloves that have large gauntlets, A* boots, and uh, dress slacks.

I'll ride 15 miles to work long as temps are above freezing, but any colder and I drive my super Civic.

Roads are clear here in the sunny South, only a little salt residue in places. It's supposed to be in the 60's & 70's here for the rest of the week, yee-haw! ;D

·
Registered
720 Posts
**** you didn't wear extra layers under your jacket.

I really should pick up one of those kilimanjaro jackets. They sound so amazing for cold weather.

·
Registered
973 Posts
man you got some brass cohone's, i wont even check the mail in 25 degree weather.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
man you got some brass cohone's, i wont even check the mail in 25 degree weather.
:laughing4:

Just to follow up, the rest of the day had some excitement as well. Cliffs below.

I left work early to enjoy the weather a bit more and, for no other reason than to ride, headed north to browse/shop a bit. The ride up was uneventful, but on the way back, a big Cadillac with loud (but good-sounding) hiphop pulled up beside me at a light and one of the two guys (both with the image you'd expect) rolled down his window. Hoping I didn't accidentally cut him off or instigate anything, I was pleasantly surprised to hear him say "Hey! We ride too, but we're sure not out yet! It's good to see that someone is, and nice bike!" I encouraged him to get out in the next couple of days as it's supposed to get warmer. Smiles, nods, etc, and the light turned green.

With my spirits up, the next empty road prompted a VERY quick stint of riding for the last bit to back to the office to pick up something I'd forgotten. I pulled into the parking lot and, immediately thereafter, was boxed in by a police car with lights flashing and a quickly-exiting and approaching officer. Mind you, this is just after 5:00 in front of an entire wall of floor-to-ceiling glass by the main gathering place and entrance to my place of work. I was parked only a couple of spots from the CEO's spot mentioned in the original post; lovely. I take off my helmet, turn off the bike, and try not to laugh as I see a couple of people I know inside, through the glass. When asked why I was over, and a bit worried about my near future, I said "probably speeding," knowing I had momentarily reached speeds fast enough to lose my license, embarrassingly enough. He took my license back to his car to confirm that the bike was registered in my name, all as I was noticing the now-scary radar gun in his front windshield. He came back, told me to slow down and be careful as the roads are still wet and sandy in places, and to have a nice day. I wished him a good day as well, and ran inside laughing in thankful disbelief.

I then rode quickly to the other side of downtown and ended up five minutes late to the night class I was teaching. I jokingly apologized to my students for not bringing a tardy note from the police officer. We had a nice chuckle and proceeded to have a wonderful class. The short ride home afterward was quiet, with peacefully crisp air. All in all it was a great day. I remembered full well why I love riding, and laughed at the ridiculously high enjoyment-to-dollar ratio of a machine like the SV. I'll probably go out again on Friday.

Cliffs: Went shopping, got pulled over for speeding on the way back, at quitting time in the parking lot of where I work. Didn't get a ticket. Joked about bringing a tardy note from the cop when I arrived late to class. Had a great day. Remembered why I love the SV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts